- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 972028, 9 pages
Evaluation of In Vivo Wound Healing Activity of Bacopa monniera on Different Wound Model in Rats
1Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221005, India
2Department of Pathology and Lab Medicine, Medanta-The Medicity, Sector 38, Gurgaon 122001, India
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 20 June 2013; Accepted 8 July 2013
Academic Editor: Alethéa Gatto Barschak
Copyright © 2013 S. Murthy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. S. Sidhu, H. Mani, J. P. Gaddipati et al., “Curcumin enhances wound healing in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats and genetically diabetic mice,” Wound Repair and Regeneration, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 362–374, 1999.
- E. Varoglu, B. Seven, K. Gumustekin, O. Aktas, A. Sahin, and S. Dane, “The effects of vitamin e and selenium on blood flow to experimental skin burns in rats using the 133Xe clearance technique,” Central European Journal of Medicine, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 219–223, 2010.
- K. G. Harding, K. Moore, and T. J. Phillips, “Wound chronicity and fibroblast senescence—implications for treatment,” International Wound Journal, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 364–368, 2005.
- E. V. Mikhal'chik, M. V. Anurov, S. M. Titkova et al., “Activity of antioxidant enzymes in the skin during surgical wounds,” Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 142, no. 6, pp. 667–669, 2006.
- K. Sairam, C. V. Rao, M. D. Babu, and R. K. Goel, “Prophylactic and curative effects of Bacopa monniera in gastric ulcer models,” Phytomedicine, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 423–430, 2001.
- H. K. Singh, R. P. Rastogi, R. C. Srimal, and B. N. Dhawan, “Effect of bacosides A and B on avoidance responses in rats,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 70–75, 1988.
- A. Jyoti and D. Sharma, “Neuroprotective role of Bacopa monniera extract against aluminium-induced oxidative stress in the hippocampus of rat brain,” NeuroToxicology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 451–457, 2006.
- L. A. Holcomb, M. Dhanasekaran, A. R. Hitt, K. A. Young, M. Riggs, and B. V. Manyam, “Bacopa monniera extract reduces amyloid levels in PSAPP mice,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 243–251, 2006.
- C. V. Rao, K. Sairam, and R. K. Goel, “Experimental evaluation of Bacopa monniera on rat gastric ulceration and secretion,” Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 435–441, 2000.
- K. Sairam, M. Dorababu, R. K. Goel, and S. K. Bhattacharya, “Antidepressant activity of standardized extract of Bacopa monniera in experimental models of depression in rats,” Phytomedicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 207–211, 2002.
- R. K. Goel, K. Sairam, M. D. Babu, I. A. Tavares, and A. Raman, “In vitro evaluation of Bacopa monniera on anti-Helicobacter pylori activity and accumulation of prostaglandins,” Phytomedicine, vol. 10, no. 6-7, pp. 523–527, 2003.
- M. Dorababu, T. Prabha, S. Priyambada, V. K. Agrawal, N. C. Aryya, and R. K. Goel, “Effect of Bacopa monniera and Azadirachta indica on gastric ulceration and healing in experimental NIDDM rats,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 389–397, 2004.
- K. J. Gohil and J. J. Patel, “A review on Bacopa monniera: current research and future prospects,” International Journal of Green Pharmacy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- R. Sharath, B. G. Harish, V. Krishna, B. N. Sathyanarayana, and H. M. K. Swamy, “Wound healing and protease inhibition activity of bacoside-A, isolated from Bacopa monnieri Wettest,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1217–1222, 2010.
- P. K. Agarwal, A. Singh, K. Gaurav, S. Goel, H. D. Khanna, and R. K. Goel, “Evaluation of wound healing activity of extracts of plantain banana (Musa sapientum var. paradisiaca) in rats,” Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 32–40, 2009.
- P. Kakkar, B. Das, and P. N. Viswanathan, “A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase,” Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 130–132, 1984.
- H. U. Aebi, Catalase in Methods in Enzymatic Analysis, vol. 3, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1983, edited by Η.U. Bergmeyer.
- J. Sedlak and R. H. Lindsay, “Estimation of total, protein-bound, and nonprotein sulfhydryl groups in tissue with Ellman's reagent,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 192–205, 1968.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- K. M. Miranda, M. G. Espey, and D. A. Wink, “A rapid, simple spectrophotometric method for simultaneous detection of nitrate and nitrite,” Nitric Oxide—Biology and Chemistry, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 62–71, 2001.
- P. P. Bradley, D. A. Priebat, R. D. Christensen, and G. Rothstein, “Measurement of cutaneous inflammation: estimation of neutrophil content with an enzyme marker,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 206–209, 1982.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosenborough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randal, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- R. E. Newman and M. A. Logan, “The determination of hydroxyproline,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 184, no. 1, pp. 299–306, 1950.
- Z. Dische and E. Borenfreund, “A spectrophotometric method for the microdetermination of hexosamines,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 517–522, 1950.
- T. Bitter and H. M. Muir, “A modified uronic acid carbazole reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 330–334, 1962.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS), Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria That Grow Aerobically: Approved Standards, NCCLS Document M7-A5, NCCLS, Wayne, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2000.
- M. K. Gautam, M. Gangwar, G. Nath, C. V. Rao, and R. K. Goel, “In-vitro antibacterial activity on human pathogens and total phenolic, flavonoid contents of Murraya paniculata (L.) leaves,” Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, pp. S1660–S1664, 2012.
- I. Wiegand, K. Hilpert, and R. E. W. Hancock, “Agar and broth dilution methods to determine the minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) of antimicrobial substances,” Nature Protocols, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 163–175, 2008.
- R. A. F. Clark, “Cutaneous wound repair,” in Physiology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of the Skin, L. A. Goldsmith, Ed., pp. 576–601, Oxford Press, Oxford, UK, 1991.
- A. L. Udupa, D. R. Kulkarni, and S. L. Udupa, “Effect of Tridax procumbens extracts on wound healing,” International Journal of Pharmacognosy, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 1995.
- K. E. Moyer, G. C. Saggers, G. M. Allison, D. R. Mackay, and H. P. Ehrlich, “Effects of interleukin-8 on granulation tissue maturation,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 193, no. 2, pp. 173–179, 2002.
- J. M. Trownbridge and R. L. Gallo, “Dermatan sulfate: new functions from an old glycosaminoglycan,” Glycobiology, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 117R–125R, 2002.
- H. S. Song, T. W. Park, U. D. Sohn et al., “The effect of caffeic acid on wound healing in skin-incised mice,” Korean Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 343–347, 2008.
- G. Weindl, M. Schaller, M. Schäfer-Korting, and H. C. Korting, “Hyaluronic acid in the treatment and prevention of skin diseases: molecular biological, pharmaceutical and clinical aspects,” Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 207–213, 2004.
- R. S. Pawar, S. I. Khan, and I. A. Khan, “Glycosides of 20-deoxy derivatives of jujubogenin and pseudojujubogenin from Bacopa monniera,” Planta Medica, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 380–383, 2007.
- M. J. White and F. R. Heckler, “Oxygen free radicals and wound healing,” Clinics in Plastic Surgery, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 473–484, 1990.
- P. Sampathkumar, B. Dheeba, V. Vidhyasagar, T. Arulprakash, and R. Vinothkannan, “Potential antimicrobial activity of various extracts of Bacopa monnieri (Linn.),” International Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 230–232, 2008.