- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 976130, 5 pages
Identification of Potential or Preclinical Cognitive Impairment and the Implications of Sophisticated Screening with Biomarkers and Cognitive Testing: Does It Really Matter?
Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, University of Toronto, 3560 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M6A 2E1
Received 2 April 2013; Revised 22 May 2013; Accepted 20 June 2013
Academic Editor: Annalena Venneri
Copyright © 2013 Michael Gordon. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Brown, “AUA Recommends against Routine Prostate Cancer Screening: New Recommendations More Closely Align With Those of AAFP, USPSTF: AAFP,” 2013, http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/news/news-now/health-of-the-public/20130515auapsaguidance.html.
- “1 in 3 seniors dies with dementia in U.S., The Associated Press,” 2013, http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/03/19/dementia-deaths.html.
- “CTV News.ca Staff. Could the key to preventing the onset of Alzheimer's disease be in your feet?” 2013, http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/1-in-7-alzheimer-s-cases-could-be-prevented-with-more-exercise-study-finds-1.1187266#ixzz2OSd6pmWF.
- V. Hauch, Getting Physical Can Cut the Risk of Alzheimer's, Toronto Star, Ontario, Canada, 2013.
- P. Belluck, Dementia Care Cost Is Projected to Double by 2040, New York Times, New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- M. Gordon, “The Cost of Dementia in the United States, HealthPlexus.Net,” 2013, http://www.healthplexus.net/article/cost-dementia-united-states.
- S. Gauthier, C. Patterson, M. Gordon, J. Soucy, F. Schubert, and A. Leuzy, “Commentary on “Recommendations from the National Institute on Aging-Alzheimer's Association workgroups on diagnostic guidelines for Alzheimer's disease.” A Canadian perspective,” Alzheimer's and Dementia, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 330–332, 2011.
- S. Gauthier, C. Patterson, H. Chertkow et al., “On behalf of the CCDTD4 participants. Recommendations of the 4th Canadian consensus conference on the diagnosis and treatment of dementia (CCCDTD4),” Canadian Geriatric Journal, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 120–126, 2012.
- J. Tian, R. S. Bucks, J. Haworth, and G. Wilcock, “Neuropsychological prediction of conversion to dementia from questionable dementia: statistically significant but not yet clinically useful,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 433–438, 2003.
- C. Eckerström, E. Olsson, M. Bjerke et al., “A combination of neuropsychological, neuroimaging, and cerebrospinal fluid markers predicts conversion from mild cognitive impairment to dementia,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, 2013.
- J. A. Sonnen, K. S. Montine, J. F. Quinn, J. A. Kaye, J. C. Breitner, and T. J. Montine, “Biomarkers for cognitive impairment and dementia in elderly people,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 704–714, 2008.
- D. Zhang and D. Shen, “Predicting future clinical changes of MCI patients using longitudinal and multimodal biomarkers,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID e33182, 2012.
- L. Velayudhan, P. Proitsi, E. Westman et al., “Entorhinal cortex thickness predicts cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 755–766, 2013.
- P. B. Gorelick, A. Scuteri, S. E. Black, et al., “Vascular contributions to cognitive impairment and dementia: a statement for health care professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 2672–2713, 2011.
- M. J. Valenzuela, F. E. Matthews, C. Brayne et al., “Multiple biological pathways link cognitive lifestyle to protection from dementia,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 783–791, 2012.
- S. M. Landau, S. M. Marks, E. C. Mormino et al., “Association of lifetime cognitive engagement and low β-amyloid deposition,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 623–629, 2012.
- A. Deslandes, “The biological clock keeps ticking, but exercise may turn it back,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 113–118, 2013.
- A. Rolfe and C. Burton, “Reassurance after diagnostic testing with a low pretest probability of serious disease: systematic review and meta-analysis,” JAMA Internal Medicine, vol. 173, no. 6, pp. 416–417, 2013.
- Y. Y. Lim, K. A. Ellis, K. Harrington et al., “Use of the Cogstate Brief Battery in the assessment of Alzheimer's disease related cognitive impairment in the Australian Imaging, Biomarkers and Lifestyle (AIBL) study,” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 345–358, 2012.
- F. A. Huppert, C. Brayne, C. Gill, E. S. Paykel, and L. Beardsall, “CAMCOG—a concise neuropsychological test to assist dementia diagnosis: socio-demographic determinants in an elderly population sample,” British Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 529–541, 1995.
- “Cogstate bets big on its cognitive test Cognigram. BioSpectrum,” 2013, http://www.biospectrumasia.com/biospectrum/company-results/174865/cogstate-seeks-growth-clinical-trial.
- K. N. Nicholas and R. Katz, “Regulatory innovation and drug development for early-stage Alzheimer's disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, pp. 1169–1171, 2013.
- “MMSE,” http://www.dhs.state.or.us/spd/tools/cm/aps/assessment/mini_mental.pdf.
- “MOCA,” http://www.mocatest.org/.
- A. M. Clarfield, “The decreasing prevalence of reversible dementias: an updated meta-analysis,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 18, pp. 2219–2229, 2003.