- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 978146, 9 pages
Cystic Echinococcosis in a Single Tertiary Care Center in Rome, Italy
1Translational Research Unit, Department of Epidemiology and Preclinical Research, “L. Spallanzani” National Institute for Infectious Diseases (INMI), IRCCS, Via Portuense 292, 00149 Rome, Italy
2Unit of Surgery and Transplantation, “Interaziendale” Department P.O.I.T. Polo Ospedaliero Interaziendale, San Camillo-INMI Lazzaro Spallanzani, Italy
3Department of Radiology, INMI, Italy
4Clinical Biochemistry and Pharmacology Laboratory, INMI, Italy
5Department of Epidemiology and Preclinical Research, INMI, Italy
6Microbiology Laboratory and Infectious Diseases Bio-Repository, INMI, Italy
7Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immunomediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, 00161 Rome, Italy
8Clinical Department, INMI, Italy
9Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Sant’Andrea Hospital, Sapienza University of Rome, 00185 Rome, Italy
10Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Pavia, IRCCS, S. Matteo Hospital Foundation, WHO Collaborating Centre for Clinical Management of Cystic Echinococcosis, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Received 17 April 2013; Revised 26 June 2013; Accepted 29 July 2013
Academic Editor: Ayache Bouakaz
Copyright © 2013 Linda Petrone et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Budke, P. Deplazes, and P. R. Torgerson, “Global socioeconomic impact of cystic echinococcosis,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 296–303, 2006.
- P. S. Craig, D. P. McManus, M. W. Lightowlers et al., “Prevention and control of cystic echinococcosis,” Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 385–394, 2007.
- U. Gonlugur, S. Ozcelik, T. E. Gonlugur et al., “The retrospective annual surgical incidence of cystic echinococcosis in sivas, Turkey,” Zoonoses and Public Health, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 209–214, 2009.
- D. J. Jenkins, T. Romig, and R. C. A. Thompson, “Emergence/re-emergence of Echinococcus spp.—a global update,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 35, no. 11-12, pp. 1205–1219, 2005.
- A. Seimenis, “Overview of the epidemiological situation on echinococcosis in the Mediterranean region,” Acta Tropica, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 191–195, 2003.
- A. Siracusano, F. Delunardo, A. Teggi, and E. Ortona, “Host-parasite relationship in cystic echinococcosis: an evolving story,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2012, Article ID 639362, 12 pages, 2012.
- S. M. Sadjjadi, “Present situation of echinococcosis in the Middle East and Arabic North Africa,” Parasitology International, vol. 55, supplement, pp. S197–S202, 2006.
- Y. R. Yang, G. M. Williams, P. S. Craig et al., “Hospital and community surveys reveal the severe public health problem and socio-economic impact of human echinococcosis in Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, China,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 880–888, 2006.
- A. Dakkak, “Echinococcosis/hydatidosis: a severe threat in Mediterranean countries,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 174, no. 1-2, pp. 2–11, 2010.
- I. Buishi, T. Walters, Z. Guildea, P. Craig, and S. Palmer, “Reemergence of canine Echinococcus granulosus infection, Wales,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 568–571, 2005.
- J. Richter, A. Orhun, B. Grüner et al., “Autochthonous cystic echinococcosis in patients who grew up in Germany,” Euro Surveillance, vol. 14, no. 22, p. 19229, 2009.
- G. Grosso, S. Gruttadauria, A. Biondi, S. Marventano, and A. Mistretta, “Worldwide epidemiology of liver hydatidosis including the Mediterranean area,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 13, pp. 1425–1437, 2012.
- M. Conchedda, A. Antonelli, A. Caddori, and F. Gabriele, “A retrospective analysis of human cystic echinococcosis in Sardinia (Italy), an endemic Mediterranean region, from 2001 to 2005,” Parasitology International, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 454–459, 2010.
- S. Mastrandrea, G. Stegel, T. Piseddu, S. Ledda, and G. Masala, “A retrospective study on burden of human echinococcosis based on hospital discharge records from 2001 to 2009 in sardinia, italy,” Acta Tropica, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 184–189.
- F. Gabriele, G. Bortoletti, and M. Conchedda, “Human cystic echinococcosis in Sardinia during the 20th Century,” Parassitologia, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 383–385, 2004.
- G. Garippa, “Updates on Cystic Echinococcosis (CE) in Italy,” Parassitologia, vol. 48, no. 1-2, pp. 57–59, 2006.
- M. T. Manfredi, A. R. Di Cerbo, S. Zanzani et al., “Prevalence of echinococcosis in humans, livestock and dogs in northern Italy,” Helminthologia, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 59–66, 2011.
- F. A. Rojo-Vazquez, J. Pardo-Lledias, M. Francos-Von Hunefeld et al., “Cystic echinococcosis in Spain: Current situation and relevance for other endemic areas in Europe,” PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 5, no. 1, article e893, 2011.
- P. S. Craig, C. M. Budke, P. M. Schantz, et al., “Human echinococcosis: a neglected disease?” Tropical Medicine and Health, vol. 35, pp. 283–292, 2007.
- B. Suligoi, L. Camoni, S. Boros, V. Regine, L. Pugliese, and M. Santaquilani, “Aggiornamento delle nuove diagnosi di infezione da HIV e dei casi di AIDS in Italia al 31 dicembre 2011,” Notiziario Dell'Istituto Superiore Di Sanità, vol. 25, no. 10, 2012.
- M. Morandi, D. Resi, F. Morsillo, et al., La tubercolosi in italia, rapporto 2008. Ministero della salute—CCM—Istituto Superiore Sanità, 2011.
- Tutela delle persone e di altri soggetti rispetto al trattamento dei dati personali, Gazzetta Ufficiale, 1997.
- WHO Informal Working Group, “International classification of ultrasound images in cystic echinococcosis for application in clinical and field epidemiological settings,” Acta Tropica, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 253–261, 2003.
- P. Moro and P. M. Schantz, “Echinococcosis: a review,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 125–133, 2009.
- G. Garippa and M. T. Manfredi, “Cystic Echinococcosis in Europe and in Italy,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 33, supplement, pp. S35–S39, 2009.
- P. Kern, K. Bardonnet, E. Renner et al., “European echinococcosis registry: human alveolar echinococcosis, Europe, 1982–2000,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 343–349, 2003.
- ECDC, Annual epidemiological report 2012, reporting on 2010 surveillance data and 2011 epidemic intelligence data, 2013.
- E. Ortona, R. Riganò, P. Margutti et al., “Native and recombinant antigens in the immunodiagnosis of human cystic echinococcosis,” Parasite Immunology, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 553–559, 2000.
- A. Siracusano, A. Teggi, and E. Ortona, “Human cystic echinococcosis: old problems and new perspectives,” Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases, vol. 2009, Article ID 474368, 7 pages, 2009.
- E. Brunetti, P. Kern, D. A. Vuitton, and Writing Panel for the WHO-IWGE 2, “Expert consensus for the diagnosis and treatment of cystic and alveolar echinococcosis in humans,” Acta Tropica, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2010.
- E. Brunetti, R. Gulizia, A. L. Garlaschelli, and C. Filice, “Cystic echinococcosis of the liver associated with repeated international travels to endemic areas,” Journal of Travel Medicine, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 225–228, 2005.
- C. L. Karp and P. G. Auwaerter, “Coinfection with HIV and tropical infectious diseases. II. Helminthic, fungal, bacterial, and viral pathogens,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1214–1220, 2007.
- W. Rafi, R. Ribeiro-Rodrigues, J. J. Ellner, and P. Salgame, “Coinfection-helminthes and tuberculosis,” Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 239–244, 2012.
- K. Wahlers, C. N. Menezes, M. L. Wong, et al., “Cystic echinococcosis in sub-saharan africa,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 871–880, 2012.
- K. Wahlers, C. N. Menezes, M. Wong et al., “Human cystic echinococcosis in South Africa,” Acta Tropica, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 179–184, 2011.
- A. Javed, R. Kalayarasan, and A. K. Agarwal, “Liver hydatid with HIV infection: an association?” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1275–1277, 2012.
- N. Chopdat, C. N. Menezes, M.-A. John, N. Mahomed, and M. P. Grobusch, “A gardener who coughed up blood,” The Lancet, vol. 370, no. 9597, p. 1520, 2007.
- J. M. Ramos, M. Masia, S. Padilla, E. Bernal, A. Martin-Hidalgo, and F. Gutiérrez, “Fatal infection due to larval cysts of cestodes (neurocysticercosis and hydatid disease) in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infected patients in Spain: report of two cases,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 719–723, 2007.
- European Food Safety Authority, “Trends and sources of zoonoses and zoonotic agents and food-borne outbreaks in the european union in 2008,” The EFSA Journal, vol. 8, no. 1, p. 1496, 2010.