- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 978256, 8 pages
Evaluation of an Adsorbent Based on Agricultural Waste (Corn Cobs) for Removal of Tyrosine and Phenylalanine from Aqueous Solutions
1PPGCA/Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Antonio Carlos 6627, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
2DEMEC/Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Antônio Carlos 6627, 31270-901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Received 22 April 2013; Accepted 29 May 2013
Academic Editor: Ismail Kiran
Copyright © 2013 Cibele C. O. Alves et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Giovannini, E. Verduci, E. Salvatici, L. Fiori, and E. Riva, “Phenylketonuria: dietary and therapeutic challenges,” Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 145–152, 2007.
- N. V. M. Mira and U. M. L. Marquez, “Diagnoses and treatment of phenylketonuria,” Revista de Saúde Pública, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 86–96, 2000.
- A. Clemente, “Enzymatic protein hydrolysates in human nutrition,” Trends in Food Science and Technology, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 254–262, 2001.
- D. C. F. Lopes, F. M. Delvivo, and M. P. C. Silvestre, “Use of activated carbon for removing phenylalanine from reconstituted skim milk powder hydrolysates,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 447–453, 2005.
- C. M. A. Galvão, G. A. Pinto, C. D. F. Jesus, R. C. Giordano, and R. L. C. Giordano, “Producing a phenylalanine-free pool of peptides after tailored enzymatic hydrolyses of cheese whey,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 109–117, 2009.
- S. Díez, A. Leitão, L. Ferreira, and A. Rodrigues, “Adsorption of phenylalanine onto polymeric resins: equilibrium, kinetics and operation of a parametric pumping unit,” Separation and Purification Technology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 1998.
- M. J. A. Moreira and L. M. G. A. Ferreira, “Equilibrium studies of phenylalanine and tyrosine on ion-exchange resins,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 60, no. 18, pp. 5022–5034, 2005.
- L. S. Oliveira and A. S. Franca, “Low-cost adsorbents from agri-food wastes,” in Encyclopedia of Food Science Research, C. L. Turner and J. A. Randovski, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 171–210, Nova Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- H. M. Clark, C. C. O. Alves, A. S. Franca, and L. S. Oliveira, “Evaluation of the performance of an agricultural residue-based activated carbon aiming at removal of phenylalanine from aqueous solutions,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 155–161, 2012.
- C. C. O. Alves, A. S. Franca, and L. S. Oliveira, “Removal of phenylalanine from aqueous solutions with thermo-chemically modified corn cobs as adsorbents,” LWT—Food Science and Technology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- D. Doulia, F. Rigas, and C. Gimouhopoulos, “Removal of amino acids from water by adsorption on polystyrene resins,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 83–89, 2001.
- G. Krauch, E. Müller, A. Anninos, and H. J. Bremer, “Comparison of the protein quality of dietetically treated phenylketonuria patients with the recommendations of the WHO expert consultation,” European Journal of Pediatrics, Supplement, vol. 155, supplement 1, pp. S153–S157, 1996.
- A. M. Puziy, O. I. Poddubnaya, A. Martínez-Alonso, A. Castro-Muñiz, F. Suárez-García, and J. M. D. Tascón, “Oxygen and phosphorus enriched carbons from lignocellulosic material,” Carbon, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1941–1950, 2007.
- A. Reffas, V. Bernardet, B. David et al., “Carbons prepared from coffee grounds by H3PO4 activation: characterization and adsorption of methylene blue and Nylosan Red N-2RBL,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 175, no. 1–3, pp. 779–788, 2010.
- F. Suárez-García, A. Martínez-Alonso, and J. M. D. Tascón, “A comparative study of the thermal decomposition of apple pulp in the absence and presence of phosphoric acid,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 375–383, 2002.
- L. Piao, Q. Liu, Y. Li, and C. Wang, “The adsorption of L-phenylalanine on oxidized single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 1394–1399, 2009.
- Y. S. Ho, “Review of second-order models for adsorption systems,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 681–689, 2006.
- G. M. S. El Shafei and N. A. Moussa, “Adsorption of some essential amino acids on hydroxyapatite,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 238, no. 1, pp. 160–166, 2001.
- A. S. Franca, L. S. Oliveira, A. A. Nunes, and C. C. O. Alves, “Microwave assisted thermal treatment of defective coffee beans press cake for the production of adsorbents,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 1068–1074, 2010.
- A. S. Franca, L. S. Oliveira, and A. A. Nunes, “Malachite green adsorption by a residue-based microwave-activated adsorbent,” Clean—Soil, Air, Water, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 843–849, 2010.
- Y. D. Chen, J. A. Ritter, and R. T. Yang, “Nonideal adsorption from multicomponent gas mixtures at elevated pressures on a 5A molecular sieve,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 2877–2894, 1990.
- M. D. Levan and T. Vermeulen, “Binary Langmuir and Freundlich isotherms for ideal adsorbed solutions,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 85, no. 22, pp. 3247–3250, 1981.
- X. H. Wu and B. C. Lin, “Model modification of binary competitive isotherm,” Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies, vol. 32, no. 17, pp. 2465–2483, 2009.