- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 984014, 13 pages
Efficient Haplotype Block Partitioning and Tag SNP Selection Algorithms under Various Constraints
1Department of Applied Chemistry, Providence University, Taichung 433, Taiwan
2Department of Computer Science and Communication Engineering, Providence University, Taichung 433, Taiwan
3Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, Providence University, Taichung 433, Taiwan
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 5 September 2013
Academic Editor: Dimitrios P. Bogdanos
Copyright © 2013 Wen-Pei Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Daly, J. D. Rioux, S. F. Schaffner, T. J. Hudson, and E. S. Lander, “High-resolution haplotype structure in the human genome,” Nature Genetics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 229–232, 2001.
- J. D. Rioux, M. J. Daly, M. S. Silverberg et al., “Genetic variation in the 5q31 cytokine gene cluster confers susceptibility to Crohn disease,” Nature Genetics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 223–228, 2001.
- P. R. Baker, E. E. Baschal, P. R. Fain et al., “Haplotype analysis discriminates genetic risk for DR3-associated endocrine autoimmunity and helps define extreme risk for Addison's disease,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. E263–E270, 2010.
- G. Ken-Dror, F. Drenos, S. E. Humphries et al., “Haplotype and genotype effects of the F7 gene on circulating factor VII, coagulation activation markers and incident coronary heart disease in UK men,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 2394–2403, 2010.
- F. Jiang, Y. Dong, C. Wu et al., “Fine mapping of chromosome 3q22.3 identifies two haplotype blocks in ESYT3 associated with coronary artery disease in female Han Chinese,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 218, no. 2, pp. 397–403, 2011.
- S. B. Gabriel, S. F. Schaffner, H. Nguyen, et al., “The structure of haplotype blocks in the human genome,” Science, vol. 296, no. 5576, pp. 2225–2229, 2002.
- N. Patil, A. J. Berno, D. A. Hinds et al., “Blocks of limited haplotype diversity revealed by high-resolution scanning of human chromosome 21,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5547, pp. 1719–1723, 2001.
- G. C. Johnson, L. Esposito, B. J. Barratt, et al., “Haplotype tagging for the identification of common disease genes,” Nature Genetics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 233–237, 2001.
- International HapMap 3 Consortium, D. M. Altshuler, R. A. Gibbs, et al., “Integrating common and rare genetic variation in diverse human populations,” Nature, vol. 467, no. 7311, pp. 52–58, 2010.
- K. Zhang, M. Deng, T. Chen, M. S. Waterman, and F. Sun, “A dynamic programming algorithm for haplotype block partitioning,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 7335–7339, 2002.
- J. D. Wall and J. K. Pritchard, “Haplotype blocks and linkage disequilibrium in the human genome,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 587–597, 2003.
- R. R. Hudson and N. L. Kaplan, “Statistical properties of the number of recombination events in the history of a sample of DNA sequences,” Genetics, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 147–164, 1985.
- N. Wang, J. M. Akey, K. Zhang, R. Chakraborty, and L. Jin, “Distribution of recombination crossovers and the origin of haplotype blocks: the interplay of population history, recombination, and mutation,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1227–1234, 2002.
- E. C. Anderson and J. Novembre, “Finding haplotype block boundaries by using the minimum-description-length principle,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 73, no. 2, pp. 336–354, 2003.
- G. Greenspan and D. Geiger, “Model-based inference of haplotype block variation,” in Proceedings of the 7th Annual International Conference on Research in Computational Molecular Biology (RECOMB '03), pp. 131–137, April 2003.
- M. Koivisto, M. Perola, T. Varilo, et al., “AnMDL method for finding haplotype blocks and for estimating the strength of haplotype block boundaries,” in Proceedings of the Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, pp. 502–513, 2003.
- D. Clayton, “Choosing a set of haplotype tagging SNPs from a larger set of diallelic loci,” Nature Genetics, vol. 29, no. 2, 2001.
- K. Zhang, Z. S. Qin, J. S. Liu, T. Chen, M. S. Waterman, and F. Sun, “Haplotype block partitioning and tag SNP selection using genotype data and their applications to association studies,” Genome Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 908–916, 2004.
- K. Zhang, P. Calabrese, M. Nordborg, and F. Sun, “Haplotype block structure and its applications to association studies: power and study designs,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1386–1394, 2002.
- Y. L. Lin, W. P. Chen, and H. S. Shin, “A linear space algorithm for haplotype blocks partitioning using limited number of tag SNPs,” in Proceedings of the National Computer Symposium (NCS '07), pp. 16–31, Taichung, Taiwan, 2007.
- W. H. Li and D. Graur, Fundamentals of Molecular Evolution, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Mass, USA, 1991.
- K. Zhang and L. Jin, “HaploBlockFinder: haplotype block analyses,” Bioinformatics, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1300–1301, 2003.
- K. Zhang, Z. Qin, T. Chen, J. S. Liu, M. S. Waterman, and F. Sun, “HapBlock: haplotype block partitioning and tag SNP selection software using a set of dynamic programming algorithms,” Bioinformatics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 131–134, 2005.
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability-a Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness, Freeman, New York, NY, USA, 1979.
- Y.-T. Huang, K. Zhang, T. Chen, and K.-M. Chao, “Selecting additional tag SNPs for tolerating missing data in genotyping,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 6, article 263, 2005.
- P. Zhang, H. Sheng, and R. Uehara, “A double classification tree search algorithm for index SNP selection,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 5, article 89, 2004.
- W. Zhao, M. L. Fanning, and T. Lane, “Efficient RNAi-based gene family knockdown via set cover optimization,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, vol. 35, no. 1-2, pp. 61–73, 2005.
- K. Zhang, F. Sun, M. S. Waterman, and T. Chen, “Dynamic programming algorithms for haplotype block partitioning: applications to human chromosome 21 haplotype data,” The American Journal of Human Genetics, pp. 7363–7373, 2003.
- D. S. Hirschberg, “Linear space algorithm for computing maximal common subsequences,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 341–343, 1975.
- Y. L. Lin and W. S. Su, “Identifying long haplotype blocks with low diversity,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Workshop on Combinatorial Mathematics and Computation Theory, pp. 151–159, 2006.
- D. Harel and R. E. Tarjan, “Fast algorithms for finding nearest common ancestors,” SIAM Journal on Computing, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 338–355, 1984.