- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 985259, 11 pages
Sonication-Based Improvement of the Physicochemical Properties of Guar Gum as a Potential Substrate for Modified Drug Delivery Systems
1Department of Drug Chemistry and Technologies, University “La Sapienza”, 00185 Rome, Italy
2Department of Sciences and Chemical Technologies, University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, 00133 Rome, Italy
3Magnetic Resonance Laboratory Annalaura Segre, Institute of Chemical Methodologies, CNR Research Area of Rome, Monterotondo Stazione, 00016 Rome, Italy
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 26 June 2013
Academic Editor: Rares Salomir
Copyright © 2013 Siddique Akber Ansari et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. D’Arrigo, C. Di Meo, E. Gaucci, et al., “Self-assembled gellan-based nanohydrogels as a tool for prednisolone delivery,” Soft Matter, vol. 8, pp. 11557–11564, 2012.
- S. A. Ansari, P. Matricardi, C. Di Meo, F. Alhaique, and T. Coviello, “Evaluation of rheological properties and swelling behaviour of sonicated scleroglucan samples,” Molecules, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 2283–2297, 2012.
- G. Bocchinfuso, C. Mazzuca, C. Sandolo et al., “Guar gum and scleroglucan interactions with borax: experimental and theoretical studies of an unexpected similarity,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 114, no. 41, pp. 13059–13068, 2010.
- I. S. Dierckx and I. K. Dewettinck, “Seed gums,” in Biopolymers Polysaccharides II, S. De Baets, E. J. Vandamme, and A. Steinbüchel, Eds., pp. 321–343, Wiley-VCH, London, UK, 2002.
- T. Shaikh and S. Sasi Kumar, “Pharmaceutical and pharmacological profile of guar gum an overview,” International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 3, supplement 5, pp. 38–40, 2011.
- K. T. Roberts, “The physiological and rheological effects of foods supplemented with guar gum,” Food Research International, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1109–1114, 2011.
- M. S. Butt, N. Shahzadi, M. K. Sharif, and M. Nasir, “Guar gum: a miracle therapy for hypercholesterolemia, hyperglycemia and obesity,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 389–396, 2007.
- T. Coviello, F. Alhaique, A. Dorigo, P. Matricardi, and M. Grassi, “Two galactomannans and scleroglucan as matrices for drug delivery: preparation and release studies,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 200–209, 2007.
- C. Sandolo, P. Matricardi, F. Alhaique, and T. Coviello, “Dynamo-mechanical and rheological characterization of guar gum hydrogels,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 3355–3367, 2007.
- C. Sandolo, T. Coviello, P. Matricardi, and F. Alhaique, “Characterization of polysaccharide hydrogels for modified drug delivery,” European Biophysics Journal, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 693–700, 2007.
- C. Sandolo, P. Matricardi, F. Alhaique, and T. Coviello, “Effect of temperature and cross-linking density on rheology of chemical cross-linked guar gum at the gel point,” Food Hydrocolloids, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 210–220, 2009.
- Y. Cheng, K. M. Brown, and R. K. Prud'homme, “Characterization and intermolecular interactions of hydroxypropyl guar solutions,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 456–461, 2002.
- A. Tayal, R. M. Kelly, and S. A. Khan, “Rheology and molecular weight changes during enzymatic degradation of a water-soluble polymer,” Macromolecules, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 294–300, 1999.
- M. Guéron, P. Plateau, and M. Decorps, “Solvent signal suppression in NMR,” Progress in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 135–209, 1991.
- R. Lapasin and S. Pricl, Rheology of Industrial Polysaccharides, Theory and Applications, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1995.
- A. J. Kuijpers, G. H. M. Engbers, J. Feijen et al., “Characterization of the network structure of carbodiimide cross-linked gelatin gels,” Macromolecules, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 3325–3333, 1999.
- C. Tanford, “Transport processes, viscosity,” in Physical Chemistry of Macromolecules, pp. 317–456, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1961.
- C. R. Cantor and P. R. Schimmel, “Elementary polymer-chain hydrodynamics and chain dimensions,” in Biophysical Chemistry, Part III—The Behaviour of Biological Macromolecules, pp. 1019–1039, W. H. Freeman, San Francisco, Calif, USA, 1980.
- K. Ogawa, T. Dohmaru, and T. Yui, “Dependence of complex formation of (1–>3)-beta-D-glucan with congo red on temperature in alkaline solutions,” Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1870–1872, 1994.
- J. I. Fariña, F. Siñeriz, O. E. Molina, and N. I. Perotti, “Isolation and physicochemical characterization of soluble scleroglucan from Sclerotium rolfsii. Rheological properties, molecular weight and conformational characteristics,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 41–50, 2001.
- D. R. Picout and S. B. Ross-Murphy, “On the Mark-Houwink parameters for galactomannans,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 145–148, 2007.
- M. Bohdanecky and J. Kovar, Viscosity of Polymer Solutions, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1982.
- X. Ma and M. Pawlik, “Intrinsic viscosities and Huggins constants of guar gum in alkali metal chloride solutions,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 15–24, 2007.
- T. Coviello, L. Bertolo, P. Matricardi et al., “Peculiar behavior of polysaccharide/borax hydrogel tablets: a dynamomechanical characterization,” Colloid and Polymer Science, vol. 287, no. 4, pp. 413–423, 2009.
- T. Coviello, M. Grassi, A. Palleschi et al., “A new scleroglucan/borax hydrogel: swelling and drug release studies,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 289, no. 1-2, pp. 97–107, 2005.
- A. Palleschi, T. Coviello, G. Bocchinfuso, and F. Alhaique, “Investigation on a new scleroglucan/borax hydrogel: structure and drug release,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 322, no. 1-2, pp. 13–21, 2006.
- C. Di Meo, T. Coviello, P. Matricardi, F. Alhaique, D. Capitani, and R. Lamanna, “Anisotropic enhanced water diffusion in scleroglucan gel tablets,” Soft Matter, vol. 7, no. 13, pp. 6068–6075, 2011.