- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 986273, 9 pages
Antibacterial Activity of Defensin PaDef from Avocado Fruit (Persea americana var. drymifolia) Expressed in Endothelial Cells against Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus
1Centro Multidisciplinario de Estudios en Biotecnología, Facultad de Medicina Veterinaria y Zootecnia,
Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo, Km 9.5 Carretera Morelia-Zinapécuaro, Posta Veterinaria, 58893 Morelia,
2Instituto de Investigaciones Químico Biológicas, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolás de Hidalgo (UMSNH), Ciudad Universitaria, Edificio B1, 58030 Morelia, MICH, Mexico
3Unidad de Biotecnología, Centro de Investigación Científica de Yucatán, A.C. Calle 43 No. 130 Col. Chuburná de Hidalgo, 97200 Mérida, YUC, Mexico
Received 2 November 2012; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Lalji Singh
Copyright © 2013 Jaquelina Julia Guzmán-Rodríguez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- O. E. Heuer, A. M. Hammerum, P. Collignon, and H. C. Wegener, “Human health hazard from antimicrobial-resistant enterococci in animals and food,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 911–916, 2006.
- D. Field, L. Quigley, P. M. O'Connor et al., “Studies with bioengineered Nisin peptides highlight the broad-spectrum potency of Nisin V,” Microbial Biotechnology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 473–486, 2010.
- K. Papadopoulou, R. E. Melton, M. Leggett, M. J. Daniels, and A. E. Osbourn, “Compromised disease resistance in saponin-deficient plants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 22, pp. 12923–12928, 1999.
- I. Néeman, A. Lifshitz, and Y. Kashman, “New antibacterial agent isolated from the avocado pear,” Applied microbiology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 470–473, 1970.
- D. Prusky, N. T. Keen, J. J. Sims, and S. L. Midland, “Possible involvement of an antifungal diene in the latency of Colletotrichum gloeosporioides on unripe avocado fruits,” Phytopathology, vol. 72, no. 12, pp. 1578–1582, 1982.
- D. Prusky and N. T. Keen, “Involvement of preformed antifungal compounds in the resistance of subtropical fruits to fungal decay,” Plant Disease, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 114–119, 1993.
- F. Domergue, G. L. Helms, D. Prusky, and J. Browse, “Antifungal compounds from idioblast cells isolated from avocado fruits,” Phytochemistry, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 183–189, 2000.
- M. D. Wigg, A. A. Al-Jabri, S. S. Costa, E. Race, B. Bodo, and U. S. Oxford, “In vitro virucidal and virustatic anti HIV-1 effects of extracts from Persea americana Mill. (avocado) leaves,” Antiviral Chemistry and Chemotherapy, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 179–183, 1996.
- A. P. de Almeida, M. M. Miranda, I. C. Simoni, M. D. Wigg, M. H. C. Lagrota, and S. S. Costa, “Flavonol monoglycosides isolated from the antiviral fractions of Persea americana (Lauraceae) leaf infusión,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 562–567, 1998.
- J. D. L. Sánchez-Pérez, M. G. Jaimes-Lara, R. Salgado-Garciglia, and J. E. López-Meza, “Root extracts from Mexican avocado (Persea americana var. drymifolia) inhibit the mycelial growth of the oomycete Phytophthora cinnamomi,” European Journal of Plant Pathology, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 595–601, 2009.
- J. E. López-Meza, A. Ochoa-Zarzosa, J. A. Aguilar, and P. D. Loeza-Lara, “Antimicrobial peptides: diversity and perspectives for their biomedical application, biomedical engineering, trends, research and technologies,” in Biomedical Engineering, Trends, Research and Technologies, M. A. Komorowska and S. Olsztynska-Janus, Eds., pp. 275–304, Intech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2011.
- B. P. H. J. Thomma, B. P. A. Cammue, and K. Thevissen, “Plant defensins,” Planta, vol. 216, no. 2, pp. 193–202, 2002.
- F. T. Lay and M. A. Anderson, “Defensins—components of the innate immune system in plants,” Current Protein and Peptide Science, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 85–101, 2005.
- F. García-Olmedo, P. Rodríguez, A. Molina, et al., “Antibiotic activities of peptides, hydrogen peroxide and peroxynitrite in plant defence,” FEBS Letters, vol. 498, no. 2-3, pp. 219–222, 2001.
- J. L. Anaya-López, J. E. López-Meza, V. M. Baizabal-Aguirre, H. Cano-Camacho, and A. Ochoa-Zarzosa, “Fungicidal and cytotoxic activity of a Capsicum chinense defensin expressed by endothelial cells,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 1101–1108, 2006.
- H. Loeza-Ángeles, E. Sagrero-Cisneros, L. Lara-Zárate, E. Villagómez-Gómez, J. E. López-Meza, and A. Ochoa-Zarzosa, “Thionin Thi2.1 from Arabidopsis thaliana expressed in endothelial cells shows antibacterial, antifungal and cytotoxic activity,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1713–1719, 2008.
- M. Cajero-Juárez, B. Avila, A. Ochoa et al., “Immortalization of bovine umbilical vein endothelial cells: amodel for the study of vascular endothelium,” European Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2002.
- R. López-Gómez and M. A. Gómez-Lim, “A method for extracting intact RNA from fruits rich in polysaccharides using ripe mango mesocarp,” HortScience, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 440–442, 1992.
- B. Ewing and P. Green, “Base-calling of automated sequencer traces using phred. II. Error probabilities,” Genome Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 186–194, 1998.
- S. Li and H.-H. Chou, “Lucy2: an interactive DNA sequence quality trimming and vector removal tool,” Bioinformatics, vol. 20, no. 16, pp. 2865–2866, 2004.
- R. López-Gómez, L. E. Ibarra, R. L. M. Suárez, et al., “First insights into the avocado fruit transcriptome,” in Proceedings of the 28th International Horticultural Science Congress, Lisboa, Portugal, August 2010.
- M. A. Larkin, G. Blackshields, N. P. Brown et al., “Clustal W and Clustal X version 2.0,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 2947–2948, 2007.
- A. Ochoa-Zarzosa, H. Loeza-Ángeles, E. Sagrero-Cisneros, E. Villagómez-Gómez, L. Lara-Zárate, and J. E. López-Meza, “Antibacterial activity of thionin Thi2.1 from Arabidopsis thaliana expressed by bovine endothelial cells against Staphylococcus aureus isolates from bovine mastitis,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 127, no. 3-4, pp. 425–430, 2008.
- N. Alva-Murillo, A. Ochoa-Zarzosa, and J. E. López-Meza, “Short chain fatty acids (propionic and hexanoic) decrease Staphylococcus aureus internalization into bovine mammary epithelial cells and modulate antimicrobial peptide expression,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 155, no. 2–4, pp. 324–331, 2012.
- B. Jahn, E. Martin, A. Stueben, and S. Bhakdi, “Susceptibility testing of Candida albicans and Aspergillus species by a simple microtiter menadione-augmented 3-(4,5-dimethyl-2-thiazolyl)-2,5- diphenyl-2H-tetrazolium bromide assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 661–667, 1995.
- M. Yasir, S. Das, and M. Kharya, “The phytochemical and pharmacological profile of Persea americana Mill,” Pharmacognosy Reviews, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 77–84, 2010.
- J. R. King and R. J. Knight, “Occurrence and assay of estragole in the leaves of various avocado cultivars,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 842–844, 1987.
- C. Rodríguez-Saona and J. T. Trumble, “Secretory avocado idioblast oil cells: evidence of their defensive role against a non-adapted insect herbivore,” Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 183–194, 2000.
- L. Padovan, M. Scocchi, and A. Tossi, “Structural aspects of plant antimicrobial peptides,” Current Protein and Peptide Science, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 210–219, 2010.
- U. S. Sagaram, R. Pandurangi, J. Kaur, T. J. Smith, and D. M. Shah, “Structure-activity determinants in antifungal plant defensins msdef1 and mtdef4 with different modes of action against Fusarium graminearum,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 4, Article ID e18550, 2011.
- A. Segura, M. Moreno, A. Molina, and F. García-Olmedo, “Novel defensin subfamily from spinach (Spinacia oleracea),” FEBS Letters, vol. 435, no. 2-3, pp. 159–162, 1998.