- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 145243, 14 pages
Integration of High-Volume Molecular and Imaging Data for Composite Biomarker Discovery in the Study of Melanoma
1Department of Computer Science and Biomedical Informatics, University of Thessaly, Papasiopoulou 2-4, 35100 Lamia, Greece
2Department of Digital Systems, University of Piraeus, Grigoriou Lampraki 126, 18532 Piraeus, Greece
3Metabolic Engineering and Bioinformatics Programme, Institute of Biology, Medicinal Chemistry and Biotechnology, National Hellenic Research Foundation, 48 Vasileos Constantinou Avenue, 11635 Athens, Greece
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 28 September 2013; Accepted 12 October 2013; Published 16 January 2014
Academic Editor: Hesham H. Ali
Copyright © 2014 Konstantinos Moutselos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Fenner, B. Brook, G. Clapworthy et al., “The EuroPhysiome, STEP and a roadmap for the virtual physiological human,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 366, no. 1878, pp. 2979–2999, 2008.
- T. Rohlfing, A. Pfefferbaum, E. V. Sullivan, and C. R. Maurer, “Information fusion in biomedical image analysis: combination of data vs. combination of interpretations,” Information Processing in Medical Imaging, vol. 19, pp. 150–161, 2005.
- R. Haapanen and S. Tuominen, “Data combination and feature selection for multi-source forest inventory,” Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 869–880, 2008.
- J. L. Jesneck, L. W. Nolte, J. A. Baker, C. E. Floyd, and J. Y. Lo, “Optimized approach to decision fusion of heterogeneous data for breast cancer diagnosis,” Medical Physics, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 2945–2954, 2006.
- G. Lee, S. Doyle, J. Monaco et al., “A knowledge representation framework for integration, classification of multi-scale imaging and non-imaging data: preliminary results in predicting prostate cancer recurrence by fusing mass spectrometry and histology,” in Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro (ISBI '09), pp. 77–80, Boston, Mass, USA, July 2009.
- P. Tiwari, S. Viswanath, G. Lee, and A. Madabhushi, “Multi-modal data fusion schemes for integrated classification of imaging and non-imaging biomedical data,” in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro (ISBI '11), pp. 165–168, April 2011.
- C. Hinrichs, V. Singh, G. Xu, and S. C. Johnson, “Predictive markers for AD in a multi-modality framework: an analysis of MCI progression in the ADNI population,” NeuroImage, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 574–589, 2011.
- K. R. Gray, P. Aljabar, R. A. Heckemann, A. Hammers, and D. Rueckert, “Random forest-based similarity measures for multi-modal classification of Alzheimer's disease,” NeuroImage, vol. 65, pp. 167–175, 2013.
- A. Golugula, G. Lee, S. R. Master et al., “Supervised regularized canonical correlation analysis: integrating histologic and proteomic measurements for predicting biochemical recurrence following prostate surgery,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 12, article 483, 2011.
- M. Balázs, S. Ecsedi, L. Vízkeleti, and A. Bégány, “Genomics of human malignant melanoma,” in Breakthroughs in Melanoma Research, Y. Tanaka, Ed., InTech, 2011.
- J. Tímár, B. Gyorffy, and E. Rásó, “Gene signature of the metastatic potential of cutaneous melanoma: too much for too little?” Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 371–387, 2010.
- W. K. Martins, G. H. Esteves, O. M. Almeida et al., “Gene network analyses point to the importance of human tissue kallikreins in melanoma progression,” BMC Medical Genomics, vol. 4, article 76, 2011.
- M. Ogorzałek, L. Nowak, G. Surówka, and A. Alekseenko, “Modern techniques for computer-aided melanoma diagnosis,” in Melanoma in the Clinic—Diagnosis, Management and Complications of Malignancy, M. Murph, Ed., InTech, 2011.
- I. Maglogiannis and C. N. Doukas, “Overview of advanced computer vision systems for skin lesions characterization,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 721–733, 2009.
- Y. Saeys, I. Inza, and P. Larrañaga, “A review of feature selection techniques in bioinformatics,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 19, pp. 2507–2517, 2007.
- L. Breiman, “Random forests,” Machine Learning, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 5–32, 2001.
- Y. Sun, A. K. C. Wong, and M. S. Kamel, “Classification of imbalanced data: a review,” International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 687–719, 2009.
- A. Liaw and M. Wiener, “Classification and regression by randomForest,” R News, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 18–22, 2002.
- C. Chen, A. Liaw, and L. Breiman, “Using random forest to learn imbalanced data,” 2004, http://stat-reports.lib.berkeley.edu/accessPages/666.html.
- W. N. Venables and B. D. Ripley, Modern Applied Statistics with S, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- Z. Díaz, M. J. Segovia, J. Fernández, and E. M. d. Pozo, “Machine learning and statistical techniques. An application to the prediction of insolvency in spanish non-life insurance companies,” The International Journal of Digital Accounting Research, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1–45, 2005.
- R. Development_Core_Team, “R: a language and environment for statistical computing,” http://www.R-project.org.
- M. Maragoudakis and I. Maglogiannis, “Skin lesion diagnosis from images using novel ensemble classification techniques,” in Proceedings of the 10th IEEE EMBS International Conference on Information Technology Applications in Biomedicine, Corfu, Greece, November 2010.
- T. Barrett, D. B. Troup, S. E. Wilhite et al., “NCBI GEO: archive for functional genomics data sets-10 years on,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. D1005–D1010, 2011.
- D. Talantov, A. Mazumder, J. X. Yu et al., “Novel genes associated with malignant melanoma but not benign melanocytic lesions,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 11, no. 20, pp. 7234–7242, 2005.
- D. Sean and P. S. Meltzer, “GEOquery: a bridge between the Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) and BioConductor,” Bioinformatics, vol. 23, no. 14, pp. 1846–1847, 2007.
- G. K. Smyth, “Limma: linear models for microarray data,” in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Solutions Using R and Bioconductor, pp. 397–420, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- R. C. Gentleman, V. J. Carey, D. M. Bates et al., “Bioconductor: open software development for computational biology and bioinformatics,” Genome Biology, vol. 5, no. 10, p. R80, 2004.
- NCBI_GEO, “GEO2R,” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/info/geo2r.html.
- N. J. Horton and K. P. Kleinman, “Much ado about nothing: a comparison of missing data methods and software to fit incomplete data regression models,” American Statistician, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 79–90, 2007.
- H. Wickham, “The split-apply-combine strategy for data analysis,” Journal of Statistical Software, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–29, 2011.
- M. Kuhn, S. Weston, A. Williams, C. Keefer, and A. Engelhardt, “Caret: classification and regression training,” 2012, http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=caret.
- T. Fawcett, “An introduction to ROC analysis,” Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 861–874, 2006.
- Z. He and W. Yu, “Stable feature selection for biomarker discovery,” Computational Biology and Chemistry, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 215–225, 2010.
- L. Breiman, “Manual on setting up, using, and understanding random forests v3. 1,” 2002, http://oz.berkeley.edu/users/breiman/Using_random_forests_V3.1.pdf.
- N. Galili, R. J. Davis, W. J. Fredericks et al., “Fusion of a fork head domain gene to PAX3 in the solid tumour alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma,” Nature Genetics, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 230–235, 1993.
- J. Roiniotis, P. Masendycz, S. Ho, and G. M. Scholz, “Domain-mediated dimerization of the Hsp90 cochaperones Harc and Cdc37,” Biochemistry, vol. 44, no. 17, pp. 6662–6669, 2005.
- R. M. Wenham, B. Calingaert, S. Ali et al., “Matrix metalloproteinase-1 gene promoter polymorphism and risk of ovarian cancer,” Journal of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 381–387, 2003.
- M. Kobayashi, K. Takamatsu, M. Fujishiro, S. Saitoh, and T. Noguchi, “Molecular cloning of a novel calcium-binding protein structurally related to hippocalcin from human brain and chromosomal mapping of its gene,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1222, no. 3, pp. 515–518, 1994.