- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 153146, 7 pages
Diabetic Ankle Fractures: A Review of the Literature and an Introduction to the Adelaide Fracture in the Diabetic Ankle Algorithm and Score
1Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 28 Woodville Road, Woodville West, SA5011, Australia
2South Manchester University Hospital, South Moor Road, Wythenshaw, Manchester, UK
3The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville West, SA5011, Australia
Received 21 April 2013; Revised 16 October 2013; Accepted 17 October 2013; Published 5 January 2014
Academic Editor: Padhraig O'Loughlin
Copyright © 2014 Joshua Yee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Health N, (Australia) MRC, Barr ELM, Institute ID. AusDiab 2005: the Australian diabetes, obesity and lifestyle study: tracking the accelerating epidemic: its causes and outcomes. International Diabetes Institute, 2006.
- D. K. Wukich and A. J. Kline, “The management of ankle fractures in patients with diabetes,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 1570–1578, 2008.
- S. P. Ganesh, R. Pietrobon, W. A. C. Cecílio, D. Pan, N. Lightdale, and J. A. Nunley, “The impact of diabetes on patient outcomes after ankle fracture,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 87, no. 8, pp. 1712–1718, 2005.
- American Diabetes Association, “Executive summary: standards of medical care in diabetes—2011,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, supplement 1, pp. S4–S10, 2011.
- M. Graves and T. A. Tarquinio, “Diabetic neuroarthropathy (Charcot joints): the importance of recognizing chronic sensory deficits in the treatment of acute foot and ankle fractures in diabetic patients,” Orthopedics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 415–418, 2003.
- M. S. Myerson and W. H. Edwards, “Management of neuropathic fractures in the foot and ankle,” The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 8–18, 1999.
- I. Stiell, G. Wells, A. Laupacis et al., “Multicentre trial to introduce the Ottawa ankle rules for use of radiography in acute ankle injuries,” British Medical Journal, vol. 311, no. 7005, pp. 594–597, 1995.
- S. A. McLaughlin, D. S. Binder, and D. P. Sklar, “Ottawa ankle rules and the diabetic foot,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 32, no. 4, p. 518, 1998.
- A. P. Coll, “Ottawa rules, OK? Rules are different in diabetes,” British Medical Journal, vol. 339, Article ID b3507, 2009.
- M. S. Pinzur, “Transarticular stabilization for malunited fracture of the distal tibia in diabetics with loss of protective sensation,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 706–710, 2001.
- C. Caravaggi, M. Cimmino, S. Caruso, and S. Dalla Noce, “Intramedullary compressive nail fixation for the treatment of severe Charcot deformity of the ankle and rear foot,” Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 20–24, 2006.
- M. Cinar, A. Derincek, and S. Akpinar, “Tibiocalcaneal arthrodesis with posterior blade plate in diabetic neuroarthropthy,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 511–516, 2010.
- L. A. DiDomenico, D. Brown, and T. Zgonis, “The use of ilizarov technique as a definitive percutaneous reduction for ankle fractures in patients who have diabetes mellitus and peripheral vascular disease,” Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 141–148, 2009.
- M. A. Ayoub, “Ankle fractures in diabetic neuropathic arthropathy: can tibiotalar arthrodesis salvage the limb?” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 906–914, 2008.
- S. Eichenholtz, Charcot Joints, C.C. Thomas, 1966.
- E. B. Jude, P. L. Selby, J. Burgess et al., “Bisphosphonates in the treatment of charcot neuroarthropathy: a double-blind randomised controlled trial,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 2032–2037, 2001.
- M. S. Pinzur, “Current concepts review: charcot arthropathy of the foot and ankle,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 952–959, 2007.
- V. R. Prisk and D. K. Wukich, “Ankle Fractures in Diabetics,” Foot and Ankle Clinics, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 849–863, 2006.
- W. P. Joyce, K. Walsh, D. B. Gough, T. F. Gorey, and J. M. Fitzpatrick, “Pulse oximetry: a new non-invasive assessment of peripheral arterial occlusive disease,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 1115–1117, 1990.
- J. J. Guo, H. Yang, Y. Xu, G. Wang, L. Huang, and T. Tang, “Results after immediate operations of closed ankle fractures in patients with preoperatively neglected type 2 diabetes,” Injury, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 894–896, 2009.
- N. F. SooHoo, L. Krenek, M. J. Eagan, B. Gurbani, C. Y. Ko, and D. S. Zingmond, “Complication rates following open reduction and internal fixation of ankle fractures,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1042–1049, 2009.
- R. G. McCormack and J. M. Leith, “Ankle fractures in diabetics. Complications of surgical management,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 689–692, 1998.
- K. B. Jones, K. A. Maiers-Yelden, J. L. Marsh, M. B. Zimmerman, M. Estin, and C. L. Saltzman, “Ankle fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 489–495, 2005.
- J. M. Flynn, F. Rodriguez-Del-Río, and P. A. Pizá, “Closed ankle fractures in the diabetic patient,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 311–319, 2000.
- R. H. Blotter, E. Connolly, A. Wasan, and M. W. Chapman, “Acute complications in the operative treatment of isolated ankle fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 687–694, 1999.
- B. Kristiansen, “Results of surgical treatment of malleolar fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 272–274, 1983.
- C. Bibbo, S. S. Lin, H. A. Beam, and F. F. Behrens, “Complications of ankle fractures in diabetic patients,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 113–133, 2001.
- W. Costigan, D. B. Thordarson, and U. K. Debnath, “Operative management of ankle fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2007.
- G. B. Holmes Jr. and N. Hill, “Fractures and dislocations of the foot and ankle in diabetics associated with Charcot joint changes,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 182–185, 1994.
- A. J. Kline, G. S. Gruen, H. C. Pape, I. S. Tarkin, J. J. Irrgang, and D. K. Wukich, “Early complications following the operative treatment of pilon fractures with and without diabetes,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1042–1047, 2009.
- C. B. White, N. S. Turner, G.-C. Lee, and G. J. Haidukewych, “Open ankle fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 414, pp. 37–44, 2003.
- L. C. Schon, M. E. Easley, and S. B. Weinfeld, “Charcot neuroarthropathy of the foot and ankle,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 349, pp. 116–131, 1998.
- C. K. Low and S. K. Tan, “Infection in diabetic patients with ankle fractures,” Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 353–355, 1995.