- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 156356, 9 pages
Durable Expression of Minicircle DNA-Liposome-Delivered Androgen Receptor cDNA in Mice with Hepatocellular Carcinoma
1Sex Hormone Research Center, Center for Molecular Medicine, and Organ Transplantation Center, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 404, Taiwan
2Graduate Institution of Clinical Medical Science, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 404, Taiwan
3Department of Pharmacology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Received 4 September 2013; Revised 25 December 2013; Accepted 21 January 2014; Published 6 March 2014
Academic Editor: Guillermo Mazzolini
Copyright © 2014 Tian-You Chang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Maeda, J. Wu, T. Sawa, Y. Matsumura, and K. Hori, “Tumor vascular permeability and the EPR effect in macromolecular therapeutics: a review,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 65, no. 1-2, pp. 271–284, 2000.
- H. Maeda, “SMANCS and polymer-conjugated macromolecular drugs: advantages in cancer chemotherapy,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 46, no. 1–3, pp. 169–185, 2001.
- P. A. Vasey, S. B. Kaye, R. Morrison et al., “Phase I clinical and pharmacokinetic study of PK1 [N-(2- hydroxypropyl)methacrylamide copolymer doxorubicin]: first member of a new class of chemotherapeutic agents-drug-polymer conjugates,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 83–94, 1999.
- F. Liu, Y. K. Song, and D. Liu, “Hydrodynamics-based transfection in animals by systemic administration of plasmid DNA,” Gene Therapy, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1258–1266, 1999.
- X. Gao, K.-S. Kim, and D. Liu, “Nonviral gene delivery: what we know and what is next,” AAPS Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, article 9, pp. E92–E104, 2007.
- C. H. Miao, A. R. Thompson, K. Loeb, and X. Ye, “Long-term and therapeutic-level hepatic gene expression of human factor IX after naked plasmid transfer in vivo,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 947–957, 2001.
- C. H. Miao, X. Ye, and A. R. Thompson, “High-level factor VIII gene expression in vivo achieved by nonviral liver-specific gene therapy vectors,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 14, no. 14, pp. 1297–1305, 2003.
- J. Jiang, E. Yamato, and J.-I. Miyazaki, “Intravenous delivery of naked plasmid DNA for in vivo cytokine expression,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 289, no. 5, pp. 1088–1092, 2001.
- J. Yang, S. Chen, L. Huang, G. K. Michalopoulos, and Y. Liu, “Sustained expression of naked plasmid DNA encoding hepatocyte growth factor in mice promotes liver and overall body growth,” Hepatology, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 848–859, 2001.
- S. F. Aliño, A. Crespo, and F. Dasí, “Long-term therapeutic levels of human alpha-1 antitrypsin in plasma after hydrodynamic injection of nonviral DNA,” Gene Therapy, vol. 10, no. 19, pp. 1672–1679, 2003.
- J. R. Ortaldo, R. T. Winkler-Pickett, E. W. Bere Jr., M. Watanabe, W. J. Murphy, and R. H. Wiltrout, “In vivo hydrodynamic delivery of cDNA encoding IL-2: rapid, sustained redistribution, activation of mouse NK cells, and therapeutic potential in the absence of NKT cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 693–699, 2005.
- T. Suda and D. Liu, “Hydrodynamic gene delivery: its principles and applications,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 2063–2069, 2007.
- A. M. Krieg, “Direct immunologic activities of CpG DNA and implications for gene therapy,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 56–63, 1999.
- G. McLachlan, B. J. Stevenson, D. J. Davidson, and D. J. Porteous, “Bacterial DNA is implicated in the inflammatory response to delivery of DNA/DOTAP to mouse lungs,” Gene Therapy, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 384–392, 2000.
- Z.-Y. Chen, C.-Y. He, A. Ehrhardt, and M. A. Kay, “Minicircle DNA vectors devoid of bacterial DNA result in persistent and high-level transgene expression in vivo,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 495–500, 2003.
- N. S. Yew, H. Zhao, M. Przybylska et al., “CpG-depleted plasmid DNA vectors with enhanced safety and long-term gene expression in vivo,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 731–738, 2002.
- P. L. Felgner, T. R. Gadek, M. Holm et al., “Lipofection: a highly efficient, lipid-mediated DNA-transfection procedure,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 84, no. 21, pp. 7413–7417, 1987.
- D. Liu, T. Ren, and X. Gao, “Cationic transfection lipids,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 14, pp. 1307–1315, 2003.
- T. Merdan, J. Kopeček, and T. Kissel, “Prospects for cationic polymers in gene and oligonucleotide therapy against cancer,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 715–758, 2002.
- X. Gao and L. Huang, “Potentiation of cationic liposome-mediated gene delivery by polycations,” Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 1027–1036, 1996.
- S.-D. Li, S. Chono, and L. Huang, “Efficient gene silencing in metastatic tumor by siRNA formulated in surface-modified nanoparticles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 77–84, 2008.
- S.-D. Li, Y.-C. Chen, M. J. Hackett, and L. Huang, “Tumor-targeted delivery of siRNA by self-assembled nanoparticles,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 163–169, 2008.
- S.-D. Li and L. Huang, “Nanoparticles evading the reticuloendothelial system: role of the supported bilayer,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1788, no. 10, pp. 2259–2266, 2009.
- C. Chang, J. Kokontis, and S. Liao, “Molecular cloning of human and rat complementary DNA encoding androgen receptors,” Science, vol. 240, no. 4850, pp. 324–326, 1988.
- C.-L. Ma, C.-L. Hsu, M.-H. Wu et al., “Androgen receptor is a new potential therapeutic target for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma,” Gastroenterology, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 947–955, 2008.
- M.-H. Wu, W.-L. Ma, C.-L. Hsu et al., “Androgen receptor promotes hepatitis B virus-induced hepatocarcinogenesis through modulation of hepatitis B virus RNA transcription,” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 2, no. 32, article 32ra35, 2010.
- W. L. Ma, C. L. Hsu, C. C. Yeh et al., “Hepatic androgen receptor suppresses hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis through modulation of cell migration and anoikis,” Hepatology, vol. 56, pp. 176–185, 2012.
- Y. Zheng, W.-L. Chen, S. G. Louie, T. S. B. Yen, and J.-H. J. Ou, “Hepatitis B virus promotes hepatocarcinogenesis in transgenic mice,” Hepatology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 16–21, 2007.
- M. A. Kay, C.-Y. He, and Z.-Y. Chen, “A robust system for production of minicircle DNA vectors,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1287–1289, 2010.
- Y. Zheng, J. Li, and J.-H. Ou, “Regulation of hepatitis B virus core promoter by transcription factors HNF1 and HNF4 and the viral X protein,” Journal of Virology, vol. 78, no. 13, pp. 6908–6914, 2004.
- J. Li, Z. Xu, Y. Zheng, D. L. Johnson, and J.-H. Ou, “Regulation of hepatocyte nuclear factor 1 activity by wild-type and mutant hepatitis B virus X proteins,” Journal of Virology, vol. 76, no. 12, pp. 5875–5881, 2002.
- R. E. Kingston, C. A. Chen, and J. K. Rose, “Calcium phosphate transfection,” in Current Protocols in Molecular Biology, F. M. Ausubel, Ed., chapter 9, unit 9 1, 2003.
- C. Mah, B. J. Byrne, and T. R. Flotte, “Virus-based gene delivery systems,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 901–911, 2002.
- M. T. Lotze and T. A. Kost, “Viruses as gene delivery vectors: application to gene function, target validation, and assay development,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 692–699, 2002.
- Y.-H. H. Lien and L.-W. Lai, “Gene therapy for renal disorders: what are the benefits for the elderly?” Drugs and Aging, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 553–560, 2002.
- D. J. Wells, A. Ferrer, and K. E. Wells, “Immunological hurdles in the path to gene therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy,” Expert Reviews in Molecular Medicine, vol. 4, pp. 1–23, 2002.
- J. K. Wolf and A. D. Jenkins, “Gene therapy for ovarian cancer (review),” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 461–468, 2002.
- B. Sangro, G. Mazzolini, M. Ruiz et al., “A phase i clinical trial of thymidine kinase-based gene therapy in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 837–843, 2010.
- G. Tian, J. Liu, J. S. R. Zhou, and W. Chen, “Multiple hepatic arterial injections of recombinant adenovirus p53 and 5-fluorouracil after transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: a pilot phase II trial,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 389–395, 2009.
- M. A. Kay, J. C. Glorioso, and L. Naldini, “Viral vectors for gene therapy: the art of turning infectious agents into vehicles of therapeutics,” Nature Medicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 33–40, 2001.
- T. L. Timme, S. J. Hall, R. Barrios, S. L. C. Woo, E. Aguilar-Cordova, and T. C. Thompson, “Local inflammatory response and vector spread after direct intraprostatic injection of a recombinant adenovirus containing the herpes simplex virus thymidine kinase gene and ganciclovir therapy in mice,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 74–82, 1998.
- L. Tenenbaum, E. Lehtonen, and P. E. Monahan, “Evaluation of risks related to the use of adeno-associated virus-based vectors,” Current Gene Therapy, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 545–565, 2003.
- T. R. Flotte and B. L. Laube, “Gene therapy in cystic fibrosis,” Chest, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 124S–131S, 2001.
- S. E. Raper, N. Chirmule, F. S. Lee et al., “Fatal systemic inflammatory response syndrome in a ornithine transcarbamylase deficient patient following adenoviral gene transfer,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 80, no. 1-2, pp. 148–158, 2003.
- S. D. Patil, D. G. Rhodes, and D. J. Burgess, “DNA-based therapeutics and DNA delivery systems: a comprehensive review,” The AAPS Journal, vol. 7, no. 1, article 9, pp. E61–E77, 2005.
- A. Vonarbourg, C. Passirani, P. Saulnier, P. Simard, J. C. Leroux, and J. P. Benoit, “Evaluation of pegylated lipid nanocapsules versus complement system activation and macrophage uptake,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 620–628, 2006.
- Y. K. Song, “Characterization of cationic liposome-mediated gene transfer in vivo by intravenous administration,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 8, no. 13, pp. 1585–1594, 1997.
- N. S. Yew and R. K. Scheule, “Toxicity of cationic lipid-DNA complexes,” Advances in Genetics, vol. 53, pp. 189–214, 2005.
- N. S. Yew, K. X. Wang, M. Przybylska et al., “Contribution of plasmid DNA to inflammation in the lung after administration of cationic lipid:pDNA complexes,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 223–234, 1999.