- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 306518, 8 pages
Stereotactic Radiosurgery with Neoadjuvant Embolization of Larger Arteriovenous Malformations: An Institutional Experience
1Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience, 901 Walnut Street, 3rd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
2Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Received 13 September 2013; Accepted 28 November 2013; Published 22 January 2014
Academic Editor: Steven J. Monteith
Copyright © 2014 Richard Dalyai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Chalouhi, A. S. Dumont, C. Randazzo et al., “Management of incidentally discovered intracranial vascular abnormalities,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 31, no. 6, article E1, 2011.
- L. Leksell, “Stereotactic radiosurgery,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 797–803, 1983.
- W. A. Friedman and F. J. Bova, “Radiosurgery for arteriovenous malformations,” Neurological Research, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 803–819, 2011.
- S. Sirin, D. Kondziolka, A. Niranjan, J. C. Flickinger, A. H. Maitz, and L. D. Lunsford, “Prospective staged volume radiosurgery for large arteriovenous malformations: indications and outcomes in otherwise untreatable patients,” Neurosurgery, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 17–26, 2006.
- S. J. Raffa, Y.-Y. Chi, F. J. Bova, and W. A. Friedman, “Validation of the radiosurgery-based arteriovenous malformation score in a large linear accelerator radiosurgery experience,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 832–839, 2009.
- J. C. Flickinger, B. E. Pollock, D. Kondziolka, and L. D. Lunsford, “A dose-response analysis of arteriovenous malformation obliteration after radiosurgery,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 873–879, 1996.
- B. E. Pollock, D. A. Gorman, R. J. Coffey et al., “Patient outcomes after arteriovenous malformation radiosurgical management: results based on a 5- to 14-year follow-up study,” Neurosurgery, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1291–1297, 2003.
- P. Yashar, A. P. Amar, S. L. Giannotta et al., “Cerebral arteriovenous malformations: issues of the interplay between stereotactic radiosurgery and endovascular surgical therapy,” World Neurosurgery, vol. 75, no. 5-6, pp. 638–647, 2011.
- L. Miyawaki, C. Dowd, W. Wara et al., “Five year results of LINAC radiosurgery for arteriovenous malformations: outcome for large AVMS,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1089–1106, 1999.
- T. L. Ellis, W. A. Friedman, F. J. Bova, P. S. Kubilis, and J. M. Buatti, “Analysis of treatment failure after radiosurgery for arteriovenous malformations,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 104–110, 1998.
- D. H.-C. Pan, W.-Y. Guo, W.-Y. Chung, C.-Y. Shiau, Y.-C. Chang, and L.-W. Wang, “Gamma knife radiosurgery as a single treatment modality for large cerebral arteriovenous malformations,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 113–119, 2000.
- J. A. Mathis, J. D. Barr, J. A. Horton et al., “The efficacy of particulate embolization combined with stereotactic radiosurgery for treatment of large arteriovenous malformations of the brain,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 299–306, 1995.
- K. Mizoi, H. Jokura, T. Yoshimoto et al., “Multimodality treatment for large and critically located arteriovenous malformations,” Neurologia Medico-Chirurgica, vol. 38, pp. 186–192, 1998.
- Y. P. Gobin, A. Laurent, L. Merienne et al., “Treatment of brain arteriovenous malformations by embolization and radiosurgery,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 19–28, 1996.
- S. L. Blackburn, W. W. Ashley Jr., K. M. Rich et al., “Combined endovascular embolization and stereotactic radiosurgery in the treatment of large arteriovenous malformations: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 1758–1767, 2011.
- A. Laakso, R. Dashti, S. Juvela, P. Isarakul, M. Niemelä, and J. Hernesniemi, “Risk of hemorrhage in patients with untreated spetzler-martin grade IV and V arteriovenous malformations: a long-term follow-up study in 63 patients,” Neurosurgery, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 372–378, 2011.
- Y. M. Andrade-Souza, M. Ramani, D. Scora, M. N. Tsao, K. TerBrugge, and M. L. Schwartz, “Embolization before radiosurgery reduces the obliteration rate of arteriovenous malformations,” Neurosurgery, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 443–451, 2007.
- B. Karlsson, H. Jokura, M. Yamamoto, M. Söderman, and I. Lax, “Is repeated radiosurgery an alternative to staged radiosurgery for very large brain arteriovenous malformations?” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 740–744, 2007.
- K. D. Foote, W. A. Friedman, T. L. Ellis, F. J. Bova, J. M. Buatti, and S. L. Meeks, “Salvage retreatment after failure of radiosurgery in patients with arteriovenous malformations,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 337–341, 2003.
- B. Richling, M. Killer, A. R. Al-Schameri, L. Ritter, R. Agic, and M. Krenn, “Therapy of brain arteriovenous malformations: multimodality treatment from a balanced standpoint,” Neurosurgery, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. S148–S157, 2006.
- H. Kano, D. Kondziolka, J. C. Flickinger et al., “Stereotactic radiosurgery for arteriovenous malformations—part 6: multistaged volumetric management of large arteriovenous malformations,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 54–65, 2012.
- D. N. Loy, K. M. Rich, J. Simpson, I. Dorward, L. Santanam, and C. P. Derdeyn, “Time-of-flight magnetic resonance angiography imaging of a residual arteriovenous malformation nidus after Onyx embolization for stereotactic radiosurgery planning. Technical note,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 26, no. 5, article E13, 2009.