- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 308625, 2 pages
Prooxidant Mechanisms in Toxicology
1Biochemistry Department, College of Science, King Saud University, P.O. Box 22452, Riyadh 11495, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
3Therapeutic Chemistry Department, National Research Center, Dokki, Cairo, Egypt
Received 20 January 2014; Accepted 20 January 2014; Published 20 March 2014
Copyright © 2014 Afaf K. El-Ansary et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Gerschman, D. L. Gilbert, S. W. Nye, P. Dwyer, and W. O. Fenn, “Oxygen poisoning and X-irradiation: a mechanism in common,” Science, vol. 119, no. 3097, pp. 623–626, 1954.
- D. Harman, “Aging: a theory based on free radical and radiation chemistry,” Journal of Gerontology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 298–300, 1956.
- J. M. McCord and I. Fridovich, “Superoxide dismutase. An enzymic function for erythrocuprein (hemocuprein),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 244, no. 22, pp. 6049–6055, 1969.
- M. Valko, D. Leibfritz, J. Moncol, M. T. D. Cronin, M. Mazur, and J. Telser, “Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 44–84, 2007.
- C. K. Mittal and F. Murad, “Activation of guanylate cyclase by superoxide dismutase and hydroxyl radical: a physiological regulator of guanosine 3′,5′-monophosphate formation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 74, no. 10, pp. 4360–4364, 1977.
- D. G. Deavall, E. A. Martin, J. M. Horner, and R. Roberts, “Drug-induced oxidative stress and toxicity,” Journal of Toxicology, vol. 2012, Article ID 645460, 13 pages, 2012.
- K. Rashid, K. Sinha, and P. C. Sil, “An update on oxidative stress-mediated organ pathophysiology,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 62, pp. 584–600, 2013.
- M. Valko, H. Morris, and M. T. D. Cronin, “Metals, toxicity and oxidative stress,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 1161–1208, 2005.
- R. A. Roberts, D. L. Laskin, C. V. Smith et al., “Nitrative and oxidative stress in toxicology and disease,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 4–16, 2009.