- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 312647, 8 pages
Infliximab Reverses Suppression of Cholesterol Efflux Proteins by TNF-α: A Possible Mechanism for Modulation of Atherogenesis
Winthrop Research Institute and Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology, Department of Medicine, Winthrop-University Hospital, 222 Station Plaza North, Suite 502, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Received 20 April 2013; Revised 29 October 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013; Published 23 January 2014
Academic Editor: Marija Mostarica-Stojković
Copyright © 2014 Iryna Voloshyna et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Szekanecz, G. Kerekes, H. Dér et al., “Accelerated atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1108, pp. 349–358, 2007.
- H. Maradit-Kremers, P. J. Nicola, C. S. Crowson, K. V. Ballman, and S. E. Gabriel, “Cardiovascular death in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 722–732, 2005.
- Y. Asanuma, A. Oeser, A. K. Shintani et al., “Premature coronary-artery atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 25, pp. 2407–2415, 2003.
- S. C. Kim, E. Yelin, C. Tonner, and D. H. Solomon, “Changes in use of disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs for rheumatoid Arthritis in the U.S. for the period 1983–2009,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1529–1533, 2013.
- P. E. Lipsky, D. M. F. M. van der Heijde, E. W. St. Clair et al., “Infliximab and methotrexate in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 22, pp. 1594–1602, 2000.
- G. K. Hansson, “Mechanisms of disease: inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 16, pp. 1685–1626, 2005.
- E. Bartoloni, A. Alunno, O. Bistoni, and R. Gerli, “How early is the atherosclerotic risk in rheumatoid arthritis?” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 701–707, 2010.
- A. H. Sprague and R. A. Khalil, “Inflammatory cytokines in vascular dysfunction and vascular disease,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 539–552, 2009.
- C. Tetta, G. Camussi, V. Modena, C. di Vittorio, and C. Baglioni, “Tumour necrosis factor in serum and synovial fluid of patients with active and severe rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 665–667, 1990.
- D. Tracey, L. Klareskog, E. H. Sasso, J. G. Salfeld, and P. P. Tak, “Tumor necrosis factor antagonist mechanisms of action: a comprehensive review,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 244–279, 2008.
- C. Popa, M. G. Netea, T. Radstake et al., “Influence of anti-tumour necrosis factor therapy on cardiovascular risk factors in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 303–305, 2005.
- K. R. Castro, N. E. Aikawa, C. G. Saad et al., “Infliximab induces increase in triglyceride levels in psoriatic arthritis patients,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2011, Article ID 352686, 5 pages, 2011.
- M. Cuchel and D. J. Rader, “Macrophage reverse cholesterol transport: key to the regression of atherosclerosis?” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 21, pp. 2548–2555, 2006.
- I. Voloshyna and A. B. Reiss, “The ABC transporters in lipid flux and atherosclerosis,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 213–224, 2011.
- B. A. Laffitte, S. B. Joseph, R. Walczak et al., “Autoregulation of the human liver X receptor α promoter,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 7558–7568, 2001.
- K. D. Whitney, M. A. Watson, B. Goodwin et al., “Liver X Receptor (LXR) regulation of the LXRα gene in human macrophages,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 47, pp. 43509–43515, 2001.
- A. B. Reiss, N. W. Awadallah, S. Malhotra et al., “Immune complexes and IFN-γ decrease cholesterol 27-hydroxylase in human arterial endothelium and macrophages,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1913–1922, 2001.
- A. B. Reiss, C. A. Patel, M. M. Rahman et al., “Interferon-γ impedes reverse cholesterol transport and promotes foam cell transformation in THP-1 human monocytes/macrophages,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. BR420–BR425, 2004.
- J. Jiang, Z.-C. Mo, K. Yin et al., “Epigallocatechin-3-gallate prevents TNF-α-induced NF-κB activation thereby upregulating ABCA1 via the Nrf2/Keap1 pathway in macrophage foam cells,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 946–956, 2012.
- Y. Wang, A. H. Moser, J. K. Shigenaga, C. Grunfeld, and K. R. Feingold, “Downregulation of liver X receptor-α in mouse kidney and HK-2 proximal tubular cells by LPS and cytokines,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 2377–2387, 2005.
- E. W. St.clair, C. L. Wagner, A. A. Fasanmade et al., “The relationship of serum infliximab concentrations to clinical improvement in rheumatoid arthritis: results from ATTRACT, a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 1451–1459, 2002.
- T. Dervieux, M. E. Weinblatt, A. Kivitz, and J. M. Kremer, “Methotrexate polyglutamation in relation to infliximab pharmacokinetics in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 908–910, 2013.
- C.-L. Mei, Z.-J. Chen, Y.-H. Liao, Y.-F. Wang, H.-Y. Peng, and Y. Chen, “Interleukin-10 inhibits the down-regulation of ATP binding cassette transporter A1 by tumour necrosis factor-alpha in THP-1 macrophage-derived foam cells,” Cell Biology International, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1456–1461, 2007.
- F. J. Field, K. Watt, and S. N. Mathur, “TNF-α decreases ABCA1 expression and attenuates HDL cholesterol efflux in the human intestinal cell line Caco-2,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1407–1415, 2010.
- S. Sankaramarayanan, J. F. Oram, B. F. Asztalos et al., “Effects of acceptor composition and mechanism of ABCG1-mediated cellular free cholesterol efflux,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 275–284, 2009.
- I. Voloshyna, S. Carsons, M. J. Littlefield, J. M. Rieger, R. Figler, and A. B. Reiss, “Adenosine A(2A) receptor activation supports an atheroprotective cholesterol balance in human macrophages and endothelial cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1831, no. 2, pp. 407–416.
- I. Voloshyna, O. Hai, M. J. Littlefield, S. Carsons, and A. B. Reiss, “Resveratrolmediates anti-atherogenic effects on cholesterol flux in human macrophages and endothelium via PPARγ and adenosine,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 698, no. 1-3, pp. 299–309, 2013.
- J. Tian, J. W. Chen, J. S. Gao, L. Li, and X. Xie, “Resveratrol inhibits TNF-α-induced IL-1β, MMP-3 production in human rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes via modulation of PI3kinase/Akt pathway,” Rheumatology International, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1829–1835, 2013.