- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 312901, 9 pages
The β-SiC Nanowires (~100 nm) Induce Apoptosis via Oxidative Stress in Mouse Osteoblastic Cell Line MC3T3-E1
1School of Materials Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin 150001, China
2Department of Prosthodontics, School of Stomatology, Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150001, China
3Department of Neurosurgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin 150001, China
4School of Materials Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology at Weihai, Weihai 264209, China
Received 23 July 2013; Revised 26 November 2013; Accepted 28 November 2013; Published 21 May 2014
Academic Editor: Marcelo Farina
Copyright © 2014 Weili Xie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Zimmermann, S. Albrecht, and G. Von Gagern, “Molecular-biological investigations of the multicenter stage-III study (SIC-study),” Medizinische Klinik, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 58–61, 1999.
- A. M. Morales and C. M. Lieber, “A laser ablation method for the synthesis of crystalline semiconductor nanowires,” Science, vol. 279, no. 5348, pp. 208–211, 1998.
- J.-H. Kim, Y.-S. Kim, K. Park et al., “Antitumor efficacy of cisplatin-loaded glycol chitosan nanoparticles in tumor-bearing mice,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2008.
- M. Goldberg, R. Langer, and X. Jia, “Nanostructured materials for applications in drug delivery and tissue engineering,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 241–268, 2007.
- Z. Li, S. Zhu, K. Gan et al., “Poly-L-lysine-modified silica nanoparticles: a potential oral gene delivery system,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 1199–1203, 2005.
- Z. Ye and R. I. Mahato, “Role of nanomedicines in cell-based therapeutics,” Nanomedicine, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 5–8, 2008.
- H. Yang, C. Liu, D. Yang, H. Zhang, and Z. Xi, “Comparative study of cytotoxicity, oxidative stress and genotoxicity induced by four typical nanomaterials: the role of particle size, shape and composition,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 69–78, 2009.
- M. Chen and A. Von Mikecz, “Formation of nucleoplasmic protein aggregates impairs nuclear function in response to SiO2 nanoparticles,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 305, no. 1, pp. 51–62, 2005.
- S. Qi, C. Yi, W. Chen, C.-C. Fong, S.-T. Lee, and M. Yang, “Effects of silicon nanowires on HepG2 cell adhesion and spreading,” ChemBioChem, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1115–1118, 2007.
- T. Nishibe, S. O'Donnel, E. Pikoulis et al., “Effects of fibronectin bonding on healing of high porosity expanded polytetrafluoroethylene grafts in pigs,” Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 667–673, 2001.
- A. A. Fatokun, T. W. Stone, and R. A. Smith, “Hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress in MC3T3-E1 cells: the effects of glutamate and protection by purines,” Bone, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 542–551, 2006.
- J. K. Zhang, L. Yang, G. L. Meng et al., “Protective effect of tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside against hydrogen peroxide-induced dysfunction and oxidative stress in osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 689, no. 1–3, pp. 31–37, 2012.
- E. M. Choi, G.-H. Kim, and Y. S. Lee, “Protective effects of dehydrocostus lactone against hydrogen peroxide-induced dysfunction and oxidative stress in osteoblastic MC3T3-E1 cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 862–867, 2009.
- F. Grassi, G. Tell, M. Robbie-Ryan et al., “Oxidative stress causes bone loss in estrogen-deficient mice through enhanced bone marrow dendritic cell activation,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 38, pp. 15087–15092, 2007.
- T. S. Blackwell, J. W. Christman, T. Hagan et al., “Oxidative stress and NF-κB activation: correlation in patients following allogeneic bone marrow transplantation,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 93–102, 2000.
- D. Liang, L. Xiang, M. Yang et al., “ZnT7 can protect MC3T3-E1 cells from oxidative stress-induced apoptos is via PI3K/Akt and MAPK/ERK signaling pathways,” Cell Signal, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1126–1135, 2013.
- X. Zhang, X. Huang, G. Wen et al., “Novel SiOC nanocomposites for high-yield preparation of ultra-large-scale SiC nanowires,” Nanotechnology, vol. 21, no. 38, Article ID 385601, 2010.
- P. Pozarowski and A. Górski, “Immunology of ulcerative colitis—interactions of T lymphocytes with extracellular matrix proteins,” Polskie Archiwum Medycyny Wewntrznej, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 486–491, 1997.
- Y. Wang, L. Gao, Y. Li, H. Chen, and Z. Sun, “Nifedipine protects INS-1 β-cell from high glucose-induced ER stress and apoptosis,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 7569–7580, 2011.
- S.-Q. He, Y.-H. Zhang, S. K. Venugopal et al., “Delivery of antioxidative enzyme genes protects against ischemia/reperfusion-induced liver injury in mice,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 1869–1879, 2006.
- A. Kikuyama, K. Fukuda, S. Mori, M. Okada, H. Yamaguchi, and C. Hamanishi, “Hydrogen peroxide induces apoptosis of osteocytes: involvement of calcium ion and caspase activity,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 243–248, 2002.
- K. Sabeur and B. A. Ball, “Detection of superoxide anion generation by equine spermatozoa,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 701–706, 2006.
- K. Pulskamp, S. Diabaté, and H. F. Krug, “Carbon nanotubes show no sign of acute toxicity but induce intracellular reactive oxygen species in dependence on contaminants,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 58–74, 2007.
- C. Bennat and C. C. Müller-Goymann, “Skin penetration and stabilization of formulations containing microfine titanium dioxide as physical UV filter,” International Journal of Cosmetic Science, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 271–283, 2000.
- N. Lewinski, V. Colvin, and R. Drezek, “Cytotoxicity of nanopartides,” Small, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 26–49, 2008.
- E. Jan, S. J. Byrne, M. Cuddihy et al., “High-content screening as a universal tool for fingerprinting of cytotoxicity of nanoparticles,” ACS Nano, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 928–938, 2008.
- E. Kefaloyianni, C. Gaitanaki, and I. Beis, “ERK1/2 and p38-MAPK signalling pathways, through MSK1, are involved in NF-κB transactivation during oxidative stress in skeletal myoblasts,” Cellular Signalling, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2238–2251, 2006.
- M. Mohammadzadeh, R. Halabian, A. Gharehbaghian et al., “Nrf-2 overexpression in mesenchymal stem cells reduces oxidative stress-induced apoptosis and cytotoxicity,” Cell Stress and Chaperones, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 553–565, 2012.
- S. K. Katiyar and S. M. Meeran, “Obesity increases the risk of UV radiation-induced oxidative stress and activation of MAPK and NF-κB signaling,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 299–310, 2007.
- J.-R. Gurr, A. S. S. Wang, C.-H. Chen, and K.-Y. Jan, “Ultrafine titanium dioxide particles in the absence of photoactivation can induce oxidative damage to human bronchial epithelial cells,” Toxicology, vol. 213, no. 1-2, pp. 66–73, 2005.
- A. Nel, T. Xia, L. Mädler, and N. Li, “Toxic potential of materials at the nanolevel,” Science, vol. 311, no. 5761, pp. 622–627, 2006.
- A. A. Shvedova, V. Castranova, E. R. Kisin et al., “Exposure to carbon nanotube material: assessment of nanotube cytotoxicity using human keratinocyte cells,” Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A, vol. 66, no. 20, pp. 1909–1926, 2003.
- W. G. Wamer, J.-J. Yin, and R. R. Wei, “Oxidative damage to nucleic acids photosensitized by titanium dioxide,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 851–858, 1997.
- X. Bi, A. P. Yong, J. Zhou, C. M. Gall, and G. Lynch, “Regionally selective changes in brain lysosomes occur in the transition from young adulthood to middle age in rats,” Neuroscience, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 395–404, 2000.
- M. E. Guicciardi, J. Deussing, H. Miyoshi et al., “Cathepsin B contributes to TNF-α-mediated hepatocyte apoptosis by promoting mitochondrial release of cytochrome c,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 106, no. 9, pp. 1127–1137, 2000.
- L. Foghsgaard, D. Wissing, D. Mauch et al., “Cathepsin B acts as a dominant execution protease in tumor cell apoptosis induced by tumor necrosis factor,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 153, no. 5, pp. 999–1009, 2001.