- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 383859, 5 pages
Detection of Toxoplasma gondii by PCR and Mouse Bioassay in Rodents of Ahvaz District, Southwestern Iran
1Department of Medical Parasitology, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz 613715794, Iran
2Health Research Institute, Infectious and Tropical Diseases Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Science, Ahvaz, Iran
3Research Institute for Infectious Diseases of Digestive System, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz 613715794, Iran
Received 4 April 2013; Revised 22 October 2013; Accepted 6 November 2013; Published 29 January 2014
Academic Editor: Jacques Cabaret
Copyright © 2014 J. Saki and S. Khademvatan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. Dubey, “Toxoplasma gondii infections in chickens (Gallus domesticus): prevalence, clinical disease, diagnosis and public health significance,” Zoonoses and Public Health, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 60–73, 2010.
- B. Velimirovic, “Toxoplasmosis in immunosuppresion and AIDS,” Infection, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 315–317, 1984.
- A. Gallino, M. Maggiorini, W. Kiowski et al., “Toxoplasmosis in heart transplant recipients,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 389–393, 1996.
- C. Wanke, C. U. Tuazon, and A. Kovacs, “Toxoplasma encephalitis in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome: diagnosis and response to therapy,” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 509–516, 1987.
- S. N. Mostafavi, B. Ataei, Z. Nokhodian, M. Yaran, and A. Babak, “Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii infection in Isfahan province, central Iran: a population based study,” Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 496–501, 2011.
- S. Akbary Rad, R. Jalal, J. Darvish, and M. M. Matin, “Identification of three Iranian species of the genus Rattus (Rodentia, Muridae) using a PCR-RFLP technique on mitochondrial DNA,” Hystrix, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 69–77, 2009.
- E. B. Kia, M. M. Homayouni, A. Farahnak, M. Mohebali, and S. Shojai, “Study of endoparasites of rodents and their zoonotic importance in Ahvaz, south west Iran,” Iranian Journal of Public Health, vol. 30, no. 1-2, pp. 49–52, 2001.
- J. P. Dubey and J. K. Frenkel, “Toxoplasmosis of rats: a review, with considerations of their value as an animal model and their possible role in epidemiology,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 1–32, 1998.
- B. Mosallanejad, R. Avizeh, M. H. R. Jalali, and H. Hamidinejat, “Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii among wild rats (Rattus rattus) in Ahvaz district, southwestern Iran,” Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 332–335, 2012.
- L. E. O. Yai, M. C. B. Vianna, R. M. Soares, et al., “Evaluation of experimental Toxoplasma gondii (Nicolle and Manceaux, 1909) infection in pigs by bioassay in mice and polymerase chain reaction,” Brazilian Journal of Veterinary Research and Animal Science, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 2003.
- V. S. Tsutsui, R. L. Freire, J. L. Garcia et al., “Detection of Toxoplasma gondii by PCR and mouse bioassay in commercial cuts of pork from experimentally infected pigs,” Arquivo Brasileiro de Medicina Veterinária e Zootecnia, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 30–34, 2007.
- T. J. Roberts, The Mammals of Pakistan, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1997.
- L. D. Singla, N. Singla, V. R. Parshad, P. D. Juyal, and N. K. Sood, “Rodents as reservoirs of parasites in India,” Integrative Zoology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 21–26, 2008.
- D. Stojcevic, Z. Mihaljevic, and A. Marinculic, “Parasitological survey of rats in rural regions of Croatia,” Veterinary Medicine Czech, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 70–74, 2004.
- G. Conlogue, W. Foreyt, M. Adess, and H. Levine, “Capillaria hepatica (Bancroft) in select rat populations of Hartford, Connecticut, with possible public health implications,” The Journal of Parasitology, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 105–108, 1979.
- R. Ceruti, O. Sonzogni, F. Origgi et al., “Capillaria hepatica infection in wild brown rats (Rattus norvegicus) from the urban area of Milan, Italy,” Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Series B, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 235–240, 2001.
- J. Sambrook, E. F. Fritsch, and T. Maniatis, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA, 1997.
- A. Fazaeli, P. E. Carter, M. L. Darde, and T. H. Pennington, “Molecular typing of Toxoplasma gondii strains by GRA6 gene sequence analysis,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 637–642, 2000.
- S. Khademvatan, J. Saki, E. Yousefi, and R. Abdizadeh, “Detection and genotyping of Toxoplasma gondii strains isolated from birds in the southwest of Iran,” British Poultry Science, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 76–80, 2013.
- C. Sreekumar, D. H. Graham, E. Dahl, et al., “Genotyping of Toxoplasma gondii isolates from chickens from India,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 118, no. 3-4, pp. 187–194, 2003.
- J. L. Burg, C. M. Grober, P. Pouletty, and J. C. Boothroyd, “Direct and sensitive detection of a pathogenic protozoan, Toxoplasma gondii, by polymerase chain reaction,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1787–1792, 1989.
- A. Hurtado, G. Aduriz, B. Moreno, J. Barandika, and A. L. Garcia-Pérez, “Single tube nested PCR for the detection of Toxoplasma gondii in fetal tissues from naturally aborted ewes,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 102, no. 1-2, pp. 17–27, 2001.
- J. M. Wastling, S. Nicoll, and D. Buxton, “Comparison of two gene amplification methods for the detection of Toxoplasma gondii in experimentally infected sheep,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 360–365, 1993.
- A. V. da Silva and H. Langoni, “The detection of Toxoplasma gondii by comparing cytology, histopathology, bioassay in mice, and the polymerase chain reaction (PCR),” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 191–198, 2001.
- J. L. García, S. M. Gennari, R. Z. Machado, and I. T. Navarro, “Toxoplasma gondii: detection by mouse bioassay, histopathology, and polymerase chain reaction in tissues from experimentally infected pigs,” Experimental Parasitology, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 267–271, 2006.
- I. Esteban-Redondo and E. A. Innes, “Detection of Toxoplasma gondii in tissues of sheep orally challenged with different doses of oocysts,” International Journal for Parasitology, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1459–1466, 1998.
- J. P. Dubey, S. K. Shen, O. C. Kwok, and P. Thulliez, “Toxoplasmosis in rats (Rattus norvegicus): congenital transmission to first and second generation offspring and isolation of Toxoplasma gondii from seronegative rats,” Parasitology, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 1997.
- A. Kijlstra, B. Meerburg, J. Cornelissen, S. de Craeye, P. Vereijken, and E. Jongert, “The role of rodents and shrews in the transmission of Toxoplasma gondii to pigs,” Veterinary Parasitology, vol. 156, no. 3-4, pp. 183–190, 2008.
- R. G. Murphy, R. H. Williams, J. M. Hughes, G. Hide, N. J. Ford, and D. J. Oldbury, “The urban house mouse (Mus domesticus) as a reservoir of infection for the human parasite Toxoplasma gondii an unrecognised public health issue?” International Journal of Environmental Health Research, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 177–185, 2008.