- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 396106, 12 pages
Formulation and Evaluation of Fixed-Dose Combination of Bilayer Gastroretentive Matrix Tablet Containing Atorvastatin as Fast-Release and Atenolol as Sustained-Release
1Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh, Assam 786004, India
2Bengal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, B.R.B. Sarani, Bidhannagar, Durgapur, West Bengal 713212, India
3Radiopharmaceuticals Laboratory, Board of Radiation and Isotope Technology, Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata, West Bengal 700064, India
Received 13 August 2013; Revised 29 September 2013; Accepted 8 October 2013; Published 2 January 2014
Academic Editor: Changquan Calvin Sun
Copyright © 2014 Sanjay Dey et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. B. Khan, L. Noor, H. Rehman et al., “Prevalence of hypertension among obese and non-obese patients with coronary artery disease,” Journal of Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 130–133, 2010.
- R. O. Halperin, H. D. Sesso, J. Ma, J. E. Buring, M. J. Stampfer, and J. M. Gaziano, “Dyslipidemia and the risk of incident hypertension in men,” Hypertension, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2006.
- C. Borghi, M. G. Prandin, F. V. Costa, S. Bacchelli, D. Degli Esposti, and E. Ambrosioni, “Use of statins and blood pressure control in treated hypertensive patients with hypercholesterolemia,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 549–555, 2000.
- C. Borghi, “Interactions between hypercholesterolemia and hypertension: implications for therapy,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 489–496, 2002.
- J. M. Gaziano, H. D. Sesso, J. L. Breslow, C. H. Hennekens, and J. E. Buring, “Relation between systemic hypertension and blood lipids on the risk of myocardial infarction,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 84, no. 7, pp. 768–773, 1999.
- W. P. Castelli and K. Anderson, “A population at risk. Prevalence of high cholesterol levels in hypertensive patients in the Framingham Study,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 23–32, 1986.
- H. Lennernäs, “Clinical pharmacokinetics of atorvastatin,” Clinical Pharmacokinetics, vol. 42, no. 13, pp. 1141–1160, 2003.
- J. W. Nawrocki, S. R. Weiss, M. H. Davidson et al., “Reduction of LDL cholesterol by 25% to 60% in patients with primary hypercholesterolemia by atorvastatin, a new HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 678–682, 1995.
- R. Uddin, F. Ali, and S. K. Biswas, “Water solubility enhancement of atorvastatin by solid dispersion method,” Stamford Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 3, pp. 43–46, 2010.
- C. R. Palem, S. Patel, and V. B. Pokharkar, “Solubility and stability enhancement of atorvastatin by cyclodextrin complexation,” PDA Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 217–225, 2009.
- J. Pekkanen, S. Linn, G. Heiss et al., “Ten-year mortality from cardiovascular disease in relation to cholesterol level among men with and without preexisting cardiovascular disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 322, no. 24, pp. 1700–1707, 1990.
- A. M. Barrett, J. Carter, J. D. Fitzgerald, et al., “A new type of cardioselective adrenoceptive blocking drug,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 340–342, 1973.
- J. D. Harry, M. F. Knapp, and R. J. Linden, “The actions of a new β adrenoceptor blocking drug, ICI 66082, on the rabbit papillary muscle and on the dog heart,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 169–177, 1974.
- P. A. Majid, W. J. F. van der Vijgh, and P. J. de Feijter, “Once daily atenolol (Tenormine) in the treatment of angina pectoris. Observations on clinical efficacy, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics,” European Journal of Cardiology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 419–435, 1979.
- W. H. Frishman, “Atenolol and timolol, two new systemic β-adrenoceptor antagonists,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 306, no. 24, pp. 1456–1462, 1982.
- A. Melander, P. Stenberg, H. Liedholm, et al., “Food-induced reduction in bioavailability of atenolol,” European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 327–330, 1979.
- G. L. Amidon, H. Lennernas, V. P. Shah, and J. R. Crison, “A theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 413–420, 1995.
- S. M. Badr-Eldin, S. A. Elkheshen, and M. M. Ghorab, “Inclusion complexes of tadalafil with natural and chemically modified β-cyclodextrins. I: preparation and in vitro evaluation,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 819–827, 2008.
- S. Sathigari, G. Chadha, Y.-H. P. Lee et al., “Physicochemical characterization of efavirenz-cyclodextrin inclusion complexes,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 81–87, 2009.
- M. Cirri, C. Rangoni, F. Maestrelli, G. Corti, and P. Mura, “Development of fast-dissolving tablets of flurbiprofen-cyclodextrin complexes,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 697–707, 2005.
- K. Uekama, K. Matsubara, K. Abe, Y. Horiuchi, F. Hirayama, and N. Suzuki, “Design and in vitro evaluation of slow-release dosage form of piretanide: utility of β-cyclodextrin: cellulose derivative combination as a modified-release drug carrier,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 244–248, 1990.
- Z. Wang, T. Horikawa, F. Hirayama, and K. Uekama, “Design and in-vitro evaluation of a modified-release oral dosage form of nifedipine by hybridization of hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin and hydroxypropylcellulose,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 942–946, 1993.
- A. Kumar, S. P. Agarwal, and R. Khanna, “Modified release bi-layered tablet of melatonin using β-cyclodextrin,” Pharmazie, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 642–644, 2003.
- W. L. Chiou and S. Riegelman, “Pharmaceutical applications of solid dispersion systems,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1281–1302, 1971.
- J. L. Ford, “The current status of solid dispersions,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 69–88, 1986.
- P. Montassier, D. Duchêne, and M.-C. Poelman, “Inclusion complexes of tretinoin with cyclodextrins,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 153, no. 2, pp. 199–209, 1997.
- M. Linares, M. M. De Bertorello, and M. Longhi, “Solubilization of naphthoquinones by complexation with hydroxypropyl- β-cyclodextrin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 1997.
- G. Becket, L. J. Schep, and M. Y. Tan, “Improvement of the in vitro dissolution of praziquantel by complexation with α-, β- and γ-cyclodextrins,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 1999.
- R. Ficarra, P. Ficarra, M. R. Di Bella et al., “Study of the inclusion complex of atenolol with β-cyclodextrins,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 231–236, 2000.
- T. Higuchi and K. A. Connors, “Phase solubility techniques,” Advances in Analytical Chemistry and Instrumentation, vol. 4, pp. 117–212, 1965.
- K. A. Khan and C. T. Rhodes, “Effect of compaction pressure on the dissolution efficiency of some direct compression systems,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 594–607, 1972.
- V. F. Patel and N. M. Patel, “Intragastric floating drug delivery system of cefuroxime axetil: in vitro evaluation,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 7, pp. E1–E7, 2006.
- S. Dey, S. Sarkar, J. Malakar, A. Ghosh, A. Gangopadhyay, and B. Mazumder, “Spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of atenolol and atorvastatin in tablet dosage forms,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Research, vol. 3, pp. 40–43, 2012.
- D. W. Bourne, Modern Pharmaceutics, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2002.
- S. S. Jambehkar, P. J. Breen, and A. Toriumi, Extravascular Route of Drug Administration in Basic Pharmacokinetics, Pharmaceutical Press, London, UK, 1st edition, 2009.
- H. Arima, K. Yunomae, K. Miyake, T. Irie, F. Hirayama, and K. Uekama, “Comparative studies of the enhancing effects of cyclodextrins on the solubility and oral bioavailability of tacrolimus in rats,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 690–701, 2001.
- T. Loftsson, M. Másson, and M. E. Brewster, “Self-association of cyclodextrins and cyclodextrin complexes,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1091–1099, 2004.
- K. Rajendrakumar, S. Madhusudan, and T. Pralhad, “Cyclodextrin complexes of valdecoxib: properties and anti-inflammatory activity in rat,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2005.
- A. Choudhary, A. C. Rana, G. Aggarwal, et al., “Development and characterization of an atorvastatin solid dispersion using skimmed milk for improved oral bioavailability,” Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B, vol. 2, pp. 421–428, 2012.
- P. Mura, M. T. Faucci, and G. P. Bettinetti, “The influence of polyvinylpyrrolidone on naproxen complexation with hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 187–194, 2001.
- C. M. Fernandes, M. Teresa Vieira, and F. J. B. Veiga, “Physicochemical characterization and in vitro dissolution behavior of nicardipine-cyclodextrins inclusion compounds,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 79–88, 2002.
- J. R. Moyano, J. M. Ginés, M. J. Arias, and A. M. Rabasco, “Study of the dissolution characteristics of oxazepam via complexation with β-cyclodextrin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 95–102, 1995.
- C. M. Lopes, J. M. S. Lobo, J. F. Pinto, and P. Costa, “Compressed mini-tablets as a biphasic delivery system,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 323, no. 1-2, pp. 93–100, 2006.
- J. R. Robinson and S. P. Eriksen, “Theoretical formulation of sustained-release dosage forms,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 1254–1263, 1966.
- C. Liu and K. G. Desai, “Characteristics of rofecoxib-polyethylene glycol 4000 solid dispersions and tablets based on solid dispersions,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 467–477, 2005.
- C. Liu, C. Liu, and K. G. H. Desai, “Enhancement of dissolution rate of valdecoxib using solid dispersions with polyethylene glycol 4000,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2005.
- V. J. Stella and R. A. Rajewski, “Cyclodextrins: their future in drug formulation and delivery,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 556–567, 1997.
- A. Latrofa, G. Trapani, M. Franco et al., “Complexation of phenytoin with some hydrophilic cyclodextrins: effect on aqueous solubility, dissolution rate, and anticonvulsant activity in mice,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 65–73, 2001.