- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 413951, 9 pages
Relative Contribution of Haptic Technology to Assessment and Training in Implantology
1School of Surgery Nancy-Lorraine, University of Lorraine, 54505 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy, France
2Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Lorraine, 54000 Nancy, France
3UMR-S1116, University of Lorraine, 54000 Nancy, France
4Institut Jean Lamour, UMR 7198, CNRS, Université de Lorraine, 54011 Nancy, France
5Collegium Santé, University of Lorraine, 54000 Nancy, France
Received 14 December 2013; Accepted 10 January 2014; Published 20 February 2014
Academic Editor: Patrick H. Warnke
Copyright © 2014 David Joseph et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. G. Gallagher, A. B. Lederman, K. McGlade, R. M. Satava, and C. D. Smith, “Discriminative validity of the minimally-invasive surgical trainer in virtual reality (MIST-VR) using criteria levels based on expert performance,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 660–665, 2004.
- A. G. Gallagher, K. Richie, N. McClure, and J. McGuigan, “Objective psychomotor skills assessment of experienced, junior, and novice laparoscopists with virtual reality,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1478–1483, 2001.
- K. Gallagher, J. Stephenson, R. W. Brown, C. Holmes, and P. Ballester, “Exploiting 3D spatial sampling in inverse modeling of thermochronological data,” Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 375–387, 2005.
- Y. Okuda, E. O. Bryson, S. DeMaria Jr. et al., “The utility of simulation in medical education: what is the evidence?” Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 330–343, 2009.
- F. F. Bilotta, S. M. Werner, S. D. Bergese, and G. Rosa, “Impact and implementation of simulation-based training for safety,” Scientific World Journal, vol. 2013, Article ID 652956, 6 pages, 2013.
- C. Perrenot, M. Perez, N. Tran et al., “The virtual reality simulator dV-trainer is a valid assessment tool for robotic surgical skills,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 2587–2593, 2012.
- H. Karle and The Executive Council, World Federation for Medical Education, “International recognition of basic medical education programmes,” Medical Education, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2008.
- N. Mattheos, T. Albrektsson, D. Buser et al., “Teaching and assessment of implant dentistry in undergraduate and postgraduate education: a European consensus,” European Journal of Dental Education, vol. 13, supplement 1, pp. 10–17, 2009.
- U. Lekholm and G. Zarb, “Patient selection and preparation,” in Tissue-Intergrated Prosthesess: Osseointegration in Clinical Dentistry, P. I. Brånemark, G. A. Zarb, and T. Albrektsson, Eds., pp. 199–209, 1985.
- B. Vázquez, M. P. Ginebra, F. J. Gil, J. A. Planell, A. López Bravo, and J. San Román, “Radiopaque acrylic cements prepared with a new acrylic derivative of iodo-quinoline,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 2047–2053, 1999.
- S. Suebnukarn, P. Haddawy, P. Rhienmora, P. Jittimanee, and P. Viratket, “Augmented kinematic feedback from haptic virtual reality for dental skill acquisition,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 74, no. 12, pp. 1357–1366, 2010.
- J. A. Buchanan, “Experience with virtual reality-based technology in teaching restorative dental procedures,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 68, no. 12, pp. 1258–1265, 2004.
- N. von Sternberg, M. S. Bartsch, A. Petersik et al., “Learning by doing virtually,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 386–390, 2007.
- C. Luciano, P. Banerjee, and T. DeFenti, “Haptics-based virtual reality periodontal training simulator,” Virtual Reality, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 69–85, 2009.
- I. Marras, N. Nikolaidis, G. Mikrogeorgis, K. Lyroudia, and I. Pitas, “A virtual system for cavity preparation in endodontics,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 494–502, 2008.
- E. R. Wierinck, V. Puttemans, S. P. Swinnen, and D. van Steenberghe, “Expert performance on a virtual reality simulation system,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 759–766, 2007.
- E. Wierinck, V. Puttemans, S. Swinnen, and D. van Steenberghe, “Effect of augmented visual feedback from a virtual reality simulation system on manual dexterity training,” European Journal of Dental Education, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 10–16, 2005.
- O. A. J. van der Meijden and M. P. Schijven, “The value of haptic feedback in conventional and robot-assisted minimal invasive surgery and virtual reality training: a current review,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1180–1190, 2009.
- F. Quinn, P. Keogh, A. McDonald, and D. Hussey, “A study comparing the effectiveness of conventional training and virtual reality simulation in the skills acquisition of junior dental students,” European Journal of Dental Education, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 164–169, 2003.
- K. Moorthy, Y. Munz, S. K. Sarker, and A. Darzi, “Objective assessment of technical skills in surgery,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7422, pp. 1032–1037, 2003.
- P. Pohlenz, A. Gröbe, A. Petersik et al., “Virtual dental surgery as a new educational tool in dental school,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 560–564, 2010.
- S. Suebnukarn, R. Hataidechadusadee, N. Suwannasri, N. Suprasert, P. Rhienmora, and P. Haddawy, “Access cavity preparation training using haptic virtual reality and microcomputed tomography tooth models,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 983–989, 2011.
- J. A. Buchanan, “Use of simulation technology in dental education,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 1225–1231, 2001.
- I. Ioannou, L. Stern, E. Kazmierczak, A. C. Smith, and L. Z. Wise, “Towards defining dental drilling competence. Part 2: a study of cues and factors in bone drilling,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 941–950, 2010.
- I. Ioannou, E. Kazmierczak, L. Stern, A. C. Smith, L. Z. Wise, and B. Field, “Towards defining dental drilling competence. Part 1: a study of bone drilling technique,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 74, no. 9, pp. 931–940, 2010.
- J. Abraham, D. M. Wade, K. A. O'Connell, S. Desharnais, and R. Jacoby, “The use of simulation training in teaching health care quality and safety: an annotated bibliography,” The American Journal of Medical Quality, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 229–238, 2011.
- S. Haque and S. Srinivasan, “A meta-analysis of the training effectiveness of virtual reality surgical simulators,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2006.
- N. Mattheos, C. Ucer, T. van de Velde, and A. Nattestad, “Assessment of knowledge and competencies related to implant dentistry in undergraduate and postgraduate university education,” European Journal of Dental Education, vol. 13, pp. 55–65, 2009.
- R. M. Fanning and D. M. Gaba, “The role of debriefing in simulation-based learning,” Simulation in Healthcare, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 115–125, 2007.
- W. C. McGaghie, S. B. Issenberg, E. R. Petrusa, and R. J. Scalese, “A critical review of simulation-based medical education research: 2003–2009,” Medical Education, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 50–63, 2010.
- R. A. Cederberg, D. A. Bentley, R. Halpin, and J. A. Valenza, “Use of virtual patients in dental education: a survey of U.S. and Canadian dental schools,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 76, no. 10, pp. 1358–1364, 2012.
- J. Morton, A. Cumming, and H. Cameron, “Performance-based assessment in undergraduate medical education,” Clinical Teacher, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 2007.