- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 465435, 11 pages
Control Efficacy of an Endophytic Bacillus amyloliquefaciens Strain BZ6-1 against Peanut Bacterial Wilt, Ralstonia solanacearum
1College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225009, China
2Jiangsu Collaborative Innovation Center for Solid Organic Waste Resource Utilization, Nanjing 210095, China
3School of Chemistry and Environmental Engineering, Jiangsu University of Technology, Changzhou 213001, China
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 6 October 2013; Accepted 17 October 2013; Published 12 January 2014
Academic Editor: Daniele Daffonchio
Copyright © 2014 Xiaobing Wang and Guobin Liang. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Yabuuchi, Y. Kosako, I. Yano, H. Hotta, and Y. Nishiuchi, “Transfer of two Burkholderia and an Alcaligenes species to Ralstonia gen. nov.: proposal of Ralstonia pickettii (Ralston, Palleroni and Doudoroff 1973) comb. nov., Ralstonia solanacearum (Smith 1896) comb. nov. and Ralstonia eutropha (Davis 1969) comb. nov,” Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 897–904, 1995.
- T. P. Denny, “Plant pathogenic ralstonia species,” in Plant-Associated Bacteria, pp. 573–644, Springer, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, 2006.
- A. C. Hayward, “Biology and epidemiology of bacterial wilt caused by Pseudomonas solanacearum,” Annual Review of Phytopathology, vol. 29, pp. 65–87, 1991.
- D. E. Partridge, T. B. Sutton, D. L. Jordan, V. L. Curtis, and J. E. Bailey, “Management of sclerotinia blight of peanut with the biological control agent Coniothyrium minitans,” Plant Disease, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 957–963, 2006.
- H. A. Melouk and P. A. Backman, “Management of soilborne fungal pathogens,” in Peanut Health Management, pp. 75–82, American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, Minn, USA, 1995.
- S. Steinkellner and I. Langer, “Impact of tillage on the incidence of Fusarium spp. in soil,” Plant and Soil, vol. 267, no. 1-2, pp. 13–22, 2004.
- S. Vargas Gil, R. Haro, C. Oddino et al., “Crop management practices in the control of peanut diseases caused by soilborne fungi,” Crop Protection, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- H. Jiang, B. Liao, X. Ren et al., “Comparative assessment of genetic diversity of peanut (Arachis hypogaea L.) genotypes with various levels of resistance to bacterial wilt through SSR and AFLP analyses,” Journal of Genetics and Genomics, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 544–554, 2007.
- W. J. Li and R. B. Jiang, “Screening of antagonistic strains against tomato bacterial wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum),” Journal of Microbiology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 5–8, 2007.
- B. S. Liao, “a Broad review and perspectives on breeding for resistance to bacterial wilt,” in Bacterial Wilt Disease and the Ralstonia Solanacearum Species Complex, pp. 225–238, America Phytopathological Society, 2005.
- A. Tronsmo, “Trichoderma harzianum in biological control of fungal diseases,” in Principles and Practices of Managing Soilborne Plant Pathogens, pp. 213–236, America Phytopathology Society, St. Paul, Minn, USA, 1996.
- Y. Cai, Z. Liao, J. Zhang, W. Kong, and C. He, “Effect of ecological organic fertilizer on tomato bacterial wilt and soil microbial diversities,” Chinese Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 349–353, 2003.
- S. Yoshida, S. Hiradate, T. Tsukamoto, K. Hatakeda, and A. Shirata, “Antimicrobial activity of culture filtrate of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens RC-2 isolated from mulberry leaves,” Phytopathology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 181–187, 2001.
- X. Q. Peng, G. S. Zhou, Z. P. Deng, C. F. Kuang, K. Luo, and H. Y. Li, “Screening, identification and control efficacy of tobacco antagonistic endophytic bacteria against Ralstonia solanacearum,” Acta Phytopathological Sinica, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 670–674, 2007.
- S. L. Dwivedi, S. Gurtu, S. Chandra, W. Yuejin, and S. N. Nigam, “Assessment of genetic diversity among selected groundnut germplasm. I: RAPD analysis,” Plant Breeding, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 345–349, 2001.
- B. S. Liao, X. Q. Liang, H. F. Jiang, Y. Lei, Z. H. Shan, and X. Y. Zhang, “Progress on genetic enhancement for resistance to groundnut bacterial wilt in China,” in Bacterial Wilt Disease and the Ralstonia Solanacearum Species Complex, pp. 239–246, America Phytopathological Society, 2005.
- E. S. Colson-Hanks and B. J. Deverall, “Effect of 2,6-dichloroisonicotinic acid, its formulation materials and benzothiadiazole on systemic resistance to alternaria leaf spot in cotton,” Plant Pathology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 171–178, 2000.
- L. Lin, Y.-S. Qiao, Z.-Y. Ju et al., “Isolation and characterization of endophytic bacillius subtilis jaas ed1 antagonist of eggplant verticillium wilt,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 1489–1493, 2009.
- A. V. Sturz, B. R. Christie, and J. Nowak, “Bacterial endophytes: potential role in developing sustainable systems of crop production,” Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 1–30, 2000.
- I. J. Misaghi and C. R. Donndelinger, “Endophytic bacteria in symptom-free cotton plants,” Phytopathology, vol. 80, pp. 808–811, 1990.
- Z. Khan, S. G. Kim, Y. H. Jeon, H. U. Khan, S. H. Son, and Y. H. Kim, “A plant growth promoting rhizobacterium, Paenibacillus polymyxa strain GBR-1, suppresses root-knot nematode,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 3016–3023, 2008.
- R. P. Ryan, K. Germaine, A. Franks, D. J. Ryan, and D. N. Dowling, “Bacterial endophytes: recent developments and applications,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 278, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2008.
- N. Parmar and K. R. Dadarwal, “Stimulation of nitrogen fixation and induction of flavonoid-like compounds by rhizobacteria,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 1999.
- Y. Bai, F. D'Aoust, D. L. Smith, and B. T. Driscoll, “Isolation of plant-growth-promoting Bacillus strains from soybean root nodules,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 230–238, 2002.
- D. Dahal, D. Heintz, A. Van Dorsselaer, H.-P. Braun, and K. Wydra, “Pathogenesis and stress related, as well as metabolic proteins are regulated in tomato stems infected with Ralstonia solanacearum,” Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 838–846, 2009.
- L. Yu, W.-W. Li, M. H.-W. Lam, H.-Q. Yu, and C. Wu, “Isolation and characterization of a Klebsiella oxytoca strain for simultaneous azo-dye anaerobic reduction and bio-hydrogen production,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 255–262, 2012.
- P. Ganesan and S. S. Gnanamanickam, “Biological control of Sclerotium rolfsii sacc. in peanut by inoculation with Pseudomonas fluorescens,” Soil Biology and Biochemistry, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 35–38, 1987.
- P. Shen, X. R. Fan, and G. B. Li, “Biochemical and physiological characteristics of microorganisms,” in Microbiology Experiment, pp. 90–97, Advance Education Press, Beijing, China, 1999.
- S.-C. Lee, S.-H. Kim, I.-H. Park, S.-Y. Chung, M. Subhosh Chandra, and Y.-L. Choi, “Isolation, purification, and characterization of novel fengycin S from bacillus amyloliquefaciens LSC04 degrading-crude oil,” Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 246–253, 2010.
- W. J. Li and R. B. Jiang, “Screening of antagonistic strains against tomato bacterial wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum),” Journal of Microbiology, vol. 27, pp. 5–8, 2007.
- B. X. Zhang and P. Zhang, “Detection of introduced microorganism to rhizosphere,” Journal of Zhejiang University (Agriculture and Life Science), vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 624–628, 2000.
- B. M. Hu and Q. D. Zhang, “The orthogonal method,” in Statistics and Analysis Methods in Agriculture Experiment, pp. 72–92, Zhejiang Science Press, Hangzhou, China, 1985.
- L. Sun, Z. Lu, X. Bie, F. Lu, and S. Yang, “Isolation and characterization of a co-producer of fengycins and surfactins, endophytic bacillus amyloliquefaciens ES-2, from Scutellaria baicalensis Georgi,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1259–1266, 2006.
- X. Bie, Z. Lu, and F. Lu, “Identification of fengycin homologues from Bacillus subtilis with ESI-MS/CID,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 272–278, 2009.
- G. Strobel, B. Daisy, U. Castillo, and J. Harper, “Natural products from endophytic microorganisms,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 257–268, 2004.
- X. J. Chen, C. S. Hu, Y. H. Tong, Z. L. Ji, and J. Y. Xu, “Inhibition of rice endophytic Bacillus subtilis on Magnaporthe gresea and Gibberella fujikuroi,” Chinese Journal of Biological Control, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 339–344, 2008.
- D. Hutsebaut, J. Vandroemme, J. Heyrman et al., “Raman microspectroscopy as an identification tool within the phylogenetically homogeneous 'Bacillus subtilis'-group,” Systematic and Applied Microbiology, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 650–660, 2006.
- J. Chun and K. S. Bae, “Phylogenetic analysis of Bacillus subtilis and related taxa based on partial gyrA gene sequences,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 123–127, 2000.
- C. Zhao, X. Chen, and C. Zhao, “Study on CO2 capture using dry potassium-based sorbents through orthogonal test method,” International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 655–658, 2010.
- Z. Li, Q. Pan, X. Cui, and C. Duan, “Optimization on anthocyanins extraction from wine grape skins using orthogonal test design,” Food Science and Biotechnology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1047–1053, 2010.
- E. J. M. Florence and J. K. Sharma, “Botryodiplodia theobromae associated with blue staining in commercially important timbers of kerala and its possible biological control,” Materials and Organisms, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 193–199, 1990.
- Z. Jin and J. J. Morrell, “Bioprotection of bamboo against fungal mold and stain,” Material und Organismen, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 57–62, 1996.
- R. S. Utkhede and E. M. Smith, “Promotion of apple tree growth and fruit production by the EBW-4 strain of Bacillus subtilis in apple replant disease soil,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 1270–1273, 1992.
- A. L. Chiou and W. S. Wu, “Isolation, identification and evaluation of bacterial antagonists against Botrytis elliptica on lily,” Journal of Phytopathology, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 319–324, 2001.
- A. Koumoutsi, X.-H. Chen, A. Henne et al., “Structural and functional characterization of gene clusters directing nonribosomal synthesis of bioactive cyclic lipopeptides in bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain FZB42,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 186, no. 4, pp. 1084–1096, 2004.
- M. Kowall, J. Vater, B. Kluge, T. Stein, P. Franke, and D. Ziessow, “Separation and characterization of surfactin isoforms produced by Bacillus subtilis OKB 105,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 204, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1998.
- F. Peypoux, J.-M. Bonmatin, H. Labbe et al., “[Ala4]Surfactin, a novel isoform from Bacillus subtilis studied by mass and NMR spectroscopies,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 224, no. 1, pp. 89–96, 1994.
- N. Vanittanakom, W. Loeffler, U. Koch, and G. Jung, “Fengycin—a novel antifungal lipopeptide antibiotic produced by Bacillus subtilis F-29-3,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 888–901, 1986.
- J. Wang, J. Liu, X. Wang, J. Yao, and Z. Yu, “Application of electrospray ionization masss spectrometry in rapid typing of fengycin homologues produced by Bacillus subtilis,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 98–102, 2004.
- T. Nishikiori, H. Naganawa, and Y. Muraoka, “Plipastatins: new inhibitors of phospholipase A2, produced by Bacillus cereus BMG302-fF67 II. Structure of fatty acid residue and amino acid sequence,” Journal of Antibiotics, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 745–745, 1986.