- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 483759, 7 pages
A 3’UTR Polymorphism of IL-6R Is Associated with Chinese Pediatric Tuberculosis
Key Laboratory of Major Diseases in Children and National, Key Discipline of Pediatrics, (Capital Medical University),
Ministry of Education, Beijing Pediatric Research Institute, Beijing Children’s Hospital, Capital Medical University, No. 56 Nan-li-shi Road, Beijing 100045, China
Received 7 December 2013; Accepted 21 January 2014; Published 19 March 2014
Academic Editor: Asude Alpman Durmaz
Copyright © 2014 Chen Shen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, “Global tuberculosis control,” WHO Report, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- Z. F. Jiang, Z. W. Yi, and S. Y. Zhao, Practical Pediatric Tuberculosis, People’s Medical Publishing House, Beijing, China, 2006.
- C. Dye and B. G. Williams, “The population dynamics and control of tuberculosis,” Science, vol. 328, no. 5980, pp. 856–861, 2010.
- S. M. Newton, A. J. Brent, S. Anderson, E. Whittaker, and B. Kampmann, “Paediatric tuberculosis,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 498–510, 2008.
- A. Alcaïs, C. Fieschi, L. Abel, and J.-L. Casanova, “Tuberculosis in children and adults: two distinct genetic diseases,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 202, no. 12, pp. 1617–1621, 2005.
- T. Walls and D. Shingadia, “Global epidemiology of paediatric tuberculosis,” Journal of Infection, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 13–22, 2004.
- M. J. Boulanger, D.-C. Chow, E. E. Brevnova, and K. C. Garcia, “Hexameric structure and assembly of the interieukin-6/IL-6 α-receptor/gp130 complex,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5628, pp. 2101–2104, 2003.
- A. Nolan, R. Condos, M. L. Huie et al., “Elevated IP-10 and IL-6 from bronchoalveolar lavage cells are biomarkers of non-cavitary tuberculosis,” The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 922–927, 2013.
- G. Zhang, B. Zhou, W. Wang, et al., “A functional single-nucleotide polymorphism in the promoter of the gene encoding interleukin 6 is associated with susceptibility to tuberculosis,” The Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 205, no. 11, pp. 1697–1704, 2012.
- L. Rigouts, “Clinical practice: diagnosis of childhood tuberculosis,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 168, no. 11, pp. 1285–1290, 2009.
- The Respiratory Disease Group in Pediatrics Society of Chinese Medical Association and The Editorial Board of Chinese Journal of Pediatrics, “Diagnostic standards and therapeutic recommendations for pulmonary tuberculosis in children,” Chinese Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 44, pp. 249–251, 2006.
- S. M. Graham, T. Ahmed, F. Amanullah et al., “Evaluation of tuberculosis diagnostics in children: 1. Proposed clinical case definitions for classification of intrathoracic tuberculosis disease. Consensus from an expert panel,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 205, no. 2, pp. S199–S208, 2012.
- X. R. Wu, Q. Q. Yin, A. X. Jiao, et al., “Pediatric tuberculosis at Beijing Children's Hospital: 2002–2010,” Pediatrics, vol. 130, pp. e1433–e1440, 2012.
- C. Shen, X. R. Wu, W. W. Jiao, et al., “A functional promoter polymorphism of IFITM3 is associated with susceptibility to pediatric tuberculosis in Han Chinese population,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 7, Article ID e67816, 2013.
- K. A. Frazer, D. G. Ballinger, D. R. Cox, et al., “A second generation human haplotype map of over 3.1 million SNPs,” Nature, vol. 449, pp. 851–861, 2007.
- P. I. W. de Bakker, R. Yelensky, I. Pe'er, S. B. Gabriel, M. J. Daly, and D. Altshuler, “Efficiency and power in genetic association studies,” Nature Genetics, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1217–1223, 2005.
- S. Gabriel, L. Ziaugra, and D. Tabbaa, “Chapter 2: UNIT 2.12 SNP Genotyping Using the Sequenom MassARRAY iPLEX Platform,” in Current Protocols in Human Genetics, 2009.
- H. K. Wong, K. L. Ong, R. Y. Leung et al., “A single nucleotide polymorphism of interleukin-6 gene is related to plasma adrenomedullin levels,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 504–509, 2013.
- I. V. Lyadova, E. N. Tsiganov, M. A. Kapina et al., “In mice, tuberculosis progression is associated with intensive inflammatory response and the accumulation of Gr-1dim cells in the lungs,” PloS ONE, vol. 5, no. 5, Article ID e10469, 2010.
- R. Schindler, J. Mancilla, S. Endres, R. Ghorbani, S. C. Clark, and C. A. Dinarello, “Correlations and interactions in the production of interleukin-6 (IL-6), IL-1, and tumor necrosis factor (TNF) in human blood mononuclear cells: IL-6 suppresses IL-1 and TNF,” Blood, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 1990.
- H. Shiratsuchi, J. L. Johnson, and J. J. Ellner, “Bidirectional effects of cytokines on the growth of Mycobacterium avium within human monocytes,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 146, no. 9, pp. 3165–3170, 1991.
- C. H. Ladel, C. Blum, A. Dreher, K. Reifenberg, M. Kopf, and S. H. E. Kaufmann, “Lethal tuberculosis in interleukin-6-deficient mutant mice,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 4843–4849, 1997.
- B. M. Saunders, A. A. Frank, I. M. Orme, and A. M. Cooper, “Interleukin-6 induces early gamma interferon production in the infected lung but is not required for generation of specific immunity to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 3322–3326, 2000.
- H. Wang, Z. Zhang, W. Chu, T. Hale, J. J. Cooper, and S. C. Elbein, “Molecular screening and association analyses of the interleukin 6 receptor gene variants with type 2 diabetes, diabetic nephropathy, and insulin sensitivity,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 1123–1129, 2005.
- S. Kado, T. Nagase, and N. Nagata, “Circulating levels of interleukin-6, its soluble receptor and interleukin-6/interleukin-6 receptor complexes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 36, no. 1-2, pp. 67–72, 1999.
- A. Doganci, T. Eigenbrod, N. Krug et al., “The IL-6R α chain controls lung CD4+CD25+ Treg development and function during allergic airway inflammation in vivo,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 313–325, 2005.
- S. Shafiani, G. Tucker-Heard, A. Kariyone, K. Takatsu, and K. B. Urdahl, “Pathogen-specific regulatory T cells delay the arrival of effector T cells in the lung during early tuberculosis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 207, no. 7, pp. 1409–1420, 2010.
- N.-F. Chu, F.-H. Lin, H.-C. Chin, and Y.-J. Hong, “Association between interleukin-6 receptor gene variations and atherosclerotic lipid profiles among young adolescents in Taiwan,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 136, 2011.