- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 507435, 8 pages
Preventive Effect of Zea mays L. (Purple Waxy Corn) on Experimental Diabetic Cataract
1Department of Physiology and Graduate School (Neuroscience Program), Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
2Integrative Complementary Alternative Medicine Research and Development Center, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
3Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
4Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Received 1 July 2013; Accepted 29 October 2013; Published 16 January 2014
Academic Editor: Maqusood Ahamed
Copyright © 2014 Paphaphat Thiraphatthanavong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Albulescu and I. Zolog, “Specific aspects in diabetic cataract,” Oftalmologia, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 47–52, 2011.
- A. Pollreisz and U. Schmidt-Erfurth, “Diabetic cataract—pathogenesis, epidemiology and treatment,” Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 2010, Article ID 608751, 8 pages, 2010.
- Prevent Blindness America: The Economic Impact on Visual Problems, http://www.preventblindness.net/site/DocServer/Impact_of_Vision_Problems.pdf.
- M. Vucic, M. Gavella, V. Bozikov, S. J. H. Ashcroft, and B. Rocic, “Superoxide dismutase activity in lymphocytes and polymorphonuclear cells of diabetic patients,” European Journal of Clinical Chemistry and Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 517–521, 1997.
- B. Özmen, D. Özmen, E. Erkin, I. Güner, S. Habif, and O. Baymdir, “Lens superoxide dismutase and catalase activities in diabetic cataract,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 69–72, 2002.
- F. Kilic, R. Bhardwaj, and J. R. Trevithick, “Modelling cortical cataractogenesis XVIII. In vitro, diabetic cataract reduction by venoruton. A flavonoid which prevents lens opacification,” Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 372–378, 1996.
- L. Shetty, H. Harikiran, and A. Sharma, “In vitro prophylactic cataract prevention study on glucose induced cataract by quercetin and alpha tocopherol,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, vol. 1, no. 7, pp. 41–45, 2010.
- A. B. M. Reddy, R. Tammali, R. Mishra, S. Srivastava, S. K. Srivastava, and K. V. Ramana, “Aldose reductase deficiency protects sugar-induced lens opacification in rats,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 191, no. 1–3, pp. 346–350, 2011.
- Z. Kyselova, M. Stefek, and V. Bauer, “Pharmacological prevention of diabetic cataract,” Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 129–140, 2004.
- R. Pedreschi and L. Cisneros-Zevallos, “Phenolic profiles of Andean purple corn (Zea mays L.),” Food Chemistry, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 956–963, 2007.
- I. D. Ensayo, Oral LD50 Test of Purple Corn Extract in Rats for Laboratorios, pp. 956–963, Fitofarma E.I.R.L. Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Lima, Peru, 2002.
- S. D. Varma, I. Mikuni, and J. H. Kinoshita, “Flavonoids as inhibitors of lens aldose reductase,” Science, vol. 188, no. 4194, pp. 1215–1216, 1975.
- S. D. Varma, A. Mizuno, and J. H. Kinoshita, “Diabetic cataracts and flavonoids,” Science, vol. 195, no. 4274, pp. 205–206, 1977.
- A. G. Chandorkar, M. V. Albal, P. M. Bulakh, and M. P. Muley, “Lens organ culture. (Methodology and preliminary observations on viability and maintenance of transparency),” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 151–152, 1981.
- M. Kumar, T. Singh, J. Ali, and L. K. Tyagi, “In vitro anticataractactivity of Zingiberofficinaleon goat lenses,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Archive, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 1430–1433, 2011.
- C. Quettier-Deleu, B. Gressier, J. Vasseur et al., “Phenolic compounds and antioxidant activities of buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum Moench) hulls and flour,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 35–42, 2000.
- M. M. Giusti and R. E. Wrolstad, “Anthocyanin characterization and measurement with UV-visible spectroscopy,” in Current Protocols in Food Analytical Chemistry, R. E. Wrolstad, Ed., pp. F1.2.1–F1.2.13, Wiley, 2001.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- Y. Sun, L. W. Oberley, and Y. Li, “A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 497–500, 1988.
- L. Goth, “A simple method for determination of serum catalase activity and revision of reference range,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 196, no. 2-3, pp. 143–151, 1991.
- J. T. Rotruck, A. L. Pope, H. E. Ganther, A. B. Swanson, D. G. Hafeman, and W. G. Hoekstra, “Selenium: biochemical role as a component of glatathione peroxidase,” Science, vol. 179, no. 4073, pp. 588–590, 1973.
- M. Patel and S. Mishra, “Aldose reductase inhibitory activity and anticataract potential of sometraditionally acclaimed antidiabetic medicinal plants,” Oriental Pharmacy and Experimental Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 245–251, 2009.
- A. Spector, “Review: oxidative stress and disease,” Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 193–201, 2000.
- G. X. Xu, J. Zhang, H. Yang, et al., “AlphaB-crystallin malondialdehyde, superoxide dismutase, and lutathione peroxidase changes in X-ray irradiated rat lens,” International Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 365–370, 2011.
- W. Zhao, P. S. Devamanoharan, and S. D. Varma, “Fructose induced deactivation of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity and its prevention by pyruvate: implications in cataract prevention,” Free Radical Research, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 315–320, 1998.
- J. H. Kinoshita, “Cataracts in galactosemia. The Jonas S. Friedenwald Memorial Lecture,” Investigative ophthalmology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 786–799, 1965.
- J. H. Kinoshita, “Mechanisms initiating cataract formation. Proctor lecture,” Investigative Ophthalmology, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 713–724, 1974.
- H. R. Taylor, “Epidemiology of age-related cataract,” Eye, vol. 13, part 3, pp. 445–448, 1999.
- D. Ghosh and T. Konishi, “Anthocyanins and anthocyanin-rich extracts: role in diabetes and eye function,” Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 200–208, 2007.
- M. Stefek, “Natural flavonoids as potential multifunctional agents in prevention of diabetic cataract,” Interdisciplinary Toxicology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 69–77, 2011.
- F. Ramos-Escudero, A. M. Muñoz, C. Alvarado-Ortíz, Á. Alvarado, and J. A. Yáñez, “Purple corn (Zea mays L.) phenolic compounds profile and its assessment as an agent against oxidative stress in isolated mouse organs,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 206–215, 2012.
- P. F. Kador, J. Lee, S. Fujisawa, K. Blessing, and M. F. Lou, “Relative importance of aldose reductase versus nonenzymatic glycosylation on sugar cataract formation in diabetic rats,” Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 149–160, 2000.