- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 508216, 9 pages
Expression of Mesenchymal Stem Cells-Related Genes and Plasticity of Aspirated Follicular Cells Obtained from Infertile Women
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Šlajmerjeva 3, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
2Department of Molecular Diagnostics, Institute of Oncology Ljubljana, Zaloška 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Received 23 November 2013; Revised 21 January 2014; Accepted 22 January 2014; Published 3 March 2014
Academic Editor: Jeroen Krijgsveld
Copyright © 2014 Edo Dzafic et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Hamel, I. Dufort, C. Robert et al., “Identification of differentially expressed markers in human follicular cells associated with competent oocytes,” Human Reproduction, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 1118–1127, 2008.
- G. F. Erickson, “Follicle growth and development,” in Gynecology and Obstetrics CD-ROM, J. J. Sciarra, Ed., chapter 12, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2004.
- M. W. Beckmann, D. Polacek, L. Seung, and J. R. Schreiber, “Human ovarian granulosa cell culture: determination of blood cell contamination and evaluation of possible culture purification steps,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 881–887, 1991.
- J. A. Loukides, R. A. Loy, R. Edwards, J. Honig, I. Visintin, and M. L. Polan, “Human follicular fluids contain tissue macrophages,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 1363–1367, 1990.
- K. Kossowska-Tomaszczuk and C. De Geyter, “Cells with stem cell characteristics in somatic compartments of the ovary,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 310859, 8 pages, 2013.
- E. Dzafic, M. Stimpfel, and I. Virant-Klun, “Plasticity of granulosa cells: on the crossroad of stemness and transdifferentiation potential,” Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 1255–1261, 2013.
- A. Gougeon, “Dynamics of follicular growth in the human: a model from preliminary results,” Human Reproduction, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 81–87, 1986.
- K. Kossowska-Tomaszczuk, C. De Geyter, M. De Geyter et al., “The multipotency of luteinizing granulosa cells collected from mature ovarian follicles,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 210–219, 2009.
- Y. Oki, H. Ono, T. Motohashi, N. Sugiura, H. Nobusue, and K. Kano, “Dedifferentiated follicular granulosa cells derived from pig ovary can transdifferentiate into osteoblasts,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 447, no. 2, pp. 239–248, 2012.
- J. L. Pitman, A. S. McNeilly, J. R. McNeilly et al., “The fate of granulosa cells following premature oocyte loss and the development of ovarian cancers,” The International Journal of Developmental Biology, vol. 56, no. 10–12, pp. 949–958, 2012.
- A. Honda, M. Hirose, K. Hara et al., “Isolation, characterization, and in vitro and in vivo differentiation of putative thecal stem cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 30, pp. 12389–12394, 2007.
- Y. Takehara, A. Yabuuchi, K. Ezoe et al., “The restorative effects of adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells on damaged ovarian function,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 181–193, 2013.
- X. Fu, Y. He, C. Xie, and W. Liu, “Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell transplantation improves ovarian function and structure in rats with chemotherapy-induced ovarian damage,” Cytotherapy, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 353–363, 2008.
- K. Knez, T. Tomazevic, B. Zorn, E. Vrtacnik-Bokal, and I. Virant-Klun, “Intracytoplasmic morphologically selected sperm injection improves development and quality of preimplantation embryos in teratozoospermia patients,” Reproductive Biomedicine Online, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 168–179, 2012.
- D. K. Lobb and E. V. Younglai, “A simplified method for preparing IVF granulosa cells for culture,” Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 93–95, 2006.
- M. Stimpfel, T. Skutella, M. Kubista, E. Malicev, S. Conrad, and I. Virant-Klun, “Potential stemness of frozen-thawed testicular biopsies without sperm in infertile men included into the in vitro fertilization programme,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 291038, 15 pages, 2012.
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, H. Mizuno et al., “Multilineage cells from human adipose tissue: Implications for cell-based therapies,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 211–228, 2001.
- V. Chandra, S. Phadnis, P. D. Nair, and R. R. Bhonde, “Generation of pancreatic hormone-expressing islet-like cell aggregates from murine adipose tissue-derived stem cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1941–1953, 2009.
- H. Ferrero, F. Delgado-Rosas, C. M. Garcia-Pascual et al., “Efficiency and purity provided by the existing methods for the isolation of luteinized granulosa cells: a comparative study,” Human Reproduction, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1781–1789, 2012.
- A. Bukovsky, “Ovarian stem cell niche and follicular renewal in mammals,” Anatomical Record, vol. 294, no. 8, pp. 1284–1306, 2011.
- A. C. Boquest, A. Shahdadfar, K. Frønsdal et al., “Isolation and transcription profiling of purified uncultured human stromal stem cells: alteration of gene expression after in vitro cell culture,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 1131–1141, 2005.
- Y. Qiu, M. Seager, A. Osman et al., “Ovarian VEGF165b expression regulates follicular development, corpus luteum function and fertility,” Reproduction, vol. 143, no. 4, pp. 501–511, 2012.
- S. Yoshioka, H. Fujiwara, T. Higuchi, S. Yamada, M. Maeda, and S. Fujii, “Melanoma cell adhesion molecule (MCAM/CD146) is expressed on human luteinizing granulosa cells: enhancement of its expression by hCG, interleukin-1 and tumour necrosis factor-α,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 9, no. 5-6, pp. 311–319, 2003.
- T. Honda, H. Fujiwara, M. Ueda, M. Maeda, and T. Mori, “Integrin α6 is a differentiation antigen of human granulosa cells,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 2899–2905, 1995.
- H. Fujiwara, M. Maeda, T. Honda et al., “Granulosa cells express integrin α6: possible involvement of integrin α6 in folliculogenesis,” Hormone Research, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 24–30, 1996.
- M. P. Kowalewski, M. T. Dyson, P. R. Manna, and D. M. Stocco, “Involvement of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor in gonadal steroidogenesis and steroidogenic acute regulatory protein expression,” Reproduction, Fertility and Development, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 909–922, 2009.
- R. Canipari, V. Cellini, and S. Cecconi, “The ovary feels fine when paracrine and autocrine networks cooperate with gonadotropins in the regulation of folliculogenesis,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 245–255, 2012.
- Y. Zhang and M. L. Dufau, “Silencing of transcription of the human luteinizing hormone receptor gene by histone deacetylase-mSin3A complex,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 36, pp. 33431–33438, 2002.
- S. M. Sharma, S. Sif, M. C. Ostrowski, and U. Sankar, “Defective co-activator recruitment in osteoclasts from microphthalmia-oak ridge mutant mice,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 220, no. 1, pp. 230–237, 2009.
- R. T. Franceschi and G. Xiao, “Regulation of the osteoblast-specific transcription factor, Runx2: responsiveness to multiple signal transduction pathways,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 446–454, 2003.
- C. Y. Wang, S. F. Yang, Z. Wang, et al., “PCAF acetylates Runx2 and promotes osteoblast differentiation,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 381–389, 2013.
- M. Varras, T. Griva, V. Kalles, C. Akrivis, and N. Paparisteidis, “Markers of stem cells in human ovarian granulosa cells: is there a clinical significance in ART?” Journal of Ovarian Research, vol. 5, no. 1, article 36, 2012.
- H. Patel, D. Bhartiya, S. Parte, P. Gunjal, S. Vedulkar, and M. Bhatt, “Follicle stimulating hormone modulates ovarian stem cells through alternetly spliced receptor variant FSH-R3,” Journal of Ovarian Research, vol. 6, no. 1, article 52, 2013.
- X. Wang and J. Dai, “Concise review: isoforms of OCT4 contribute to the confusing diversity in stem cell biology,” Stem Cells, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 885–893, 2010.
- H. Hirai, P. Karian, and N. Kikyo, “Regulation of embryonic stem cell self-renewal and pluripotency by leukaemia inhibitory factor,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 438, no. 1, pp. 11–23, 2011.
- M. Mattioli, A. Gloria, M. Turriani et al., “Osteo-regenerative potential of ovarian granulosa cells: an in vitro and in vivo study,” Theriogenology, vol. 77, no. 7, pp. 1425–1437, 2012.
- T. Komori, “Regulation of osteoblast differentiation by runx2,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 658, pp. 43–49, 2010.
- E. S. Park, J. Park, R. T. Franceschi, and M. Jo, “The role for runt related transcription factor 2 (RUNX2) as a transcriptional repressor in luteinizing granulosa cells,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 362, no. 1-2, pp. 165–175, 2012.
- C. D. Hoemann, H. El-Gabalawy, and M. D. McKee, “In vitro osteogenesis assays: influence of the primary cell source on alkaline phosphatase activity and mineralization,” Pathologie Biologie, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 318–323, 2009.