- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 514782, 7 pages
Vitamin D Status in Migraine Patients: A Case-Control Study
1Physiology Research Center, Department of Physiology, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 81745-319, Iran
2Medical Student Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan 81745-319, Iran
3Medical Student Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Islamic Azad University, NajafAbad Branch, NajafAbad 8514143131, Iran
4Department of Neurology and Isfahan Neurosciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Hezarjarib Avenue, Isfahan 81745-319, Iran
Received 4 August 2013; Revised 10 October 2013; Accepted 16 October 2013; Published 2 January 2014
Academic Editor: Alessandro Landi
Copyright © 2014 Alireza Zandifar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Holick, R. M. Biancuzzo, T. C. Chen et al., “Vitamin D2 is as effective as vitamin D3 in maintaining circulating concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 677–681, 2008.
- S. Hovsepian, M. Amini, A. Aminorroaya, P. Amini, and B. Iraj, “Prevalence of Vitamin D deficiency among adult population of Isfahan city, Iran,” Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2011.
- J. Mytton, A. P. Frater, G. Oakley, E. Murphy, M. J. Barber, and S. Jahfar, “Vitamin D deficiency in multicultural primary care: a case series of 299 patients,” British Journal of General Practice, vol. 57, no. 540, pp. 577–579, 2007.
- L. Adorini and G. Penna, “Control of autoimmune diseases by the vitamin D endocrine system,” Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 404–412, 2008.
- Y. Talmor, E. Golan, S. Benchetrit et al., “Calcitriol blunts the deleterious impact of advanced glycation end products on endothelial cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 5, pp. F1059–F1064, 2008.
- E. Baroni, M. Biffi, F. Benigni et al., “VDR-dependent regulation of mast cell maturation mediated by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 250–262, 2007.
- Y. Suzuki, T. Ichiyama, A. Ohsaki, S. Hasegawa, M. Shiraishi, and S. Furukawa, “Anti-inflammatory effect of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in human coronary arterial endothelial cells: implication for the treatment of Kawasaki disease,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 113, no. 1-2, pp. 134–138, 2009.
- S. Straube, R. Andrew Moore, S. Derry, and H. J. McQuay, “Vitamin D and chronic pain,” Pain, vol. 141, no. 1-2, pp. 10–13, 2009.
- S. D. Silberstein, “Migraine,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9406, pp. 381–391, 2004.
- R. B. Lipton and W. F. Stewart, “Prevalence and impact of migraine,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 1997.
- R. Napoli, V. Guardasole, E. Zarra et al., “Vascular smooth muscle cell dysfunction in patients with migraine,” Neurology, vol. 72, no. 24, pp. 2111–2114, 2009.
- F. H. Vanmolkot and J. N. De Hoon, “Endothelial function in migraine: a cross-sectional study,” BMC Neurology, vol. 10, p. 119, 2010.
- S. Prakash, N. C. Mehta, A. S. Dabhi, O. Lakhani, M. Khilari, and N. D. Shah, “The prevalence of headache may be related with the latitude: a possible role of Vitamin D insufficiency?” The Journal of Headache and Pain, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 301–307, 2010.
- S. Wheeler, “Vitamin D deficiency in chronic migraine,” Headache, vol. 48, pp. S52–S53, 2008.
- S. Thys-Jacobs, “Alleviation of migraines with therapeutic vitamin D and calcium,” Headache, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 590–592, 1994.
- S. Thys-Jacobs, “Vitamin D and calcium in menstrual migraine,” Headache, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 544–546, 1994.
- S. Prakash and N. D. Shah, “Chronic tension-type headache with vitamin d deficiency: casual or causal association?” Headache, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1214–1222, 2009.
- M. Motaghi, S. Haghjooy Javanmard, F. Haghdoost et al., “Relationship between vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and migraine without aura in an Iranian population,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 351942, 6 pages, 2013.
- Headache Classification Subcommittee of the International Headache Society, “The International classification of headache disorders: 2nd edition,” Cephalalgia, vol. 24, supplement 1, pp. 9–160, 2004.
- A. El Hasnaoui, M. Vray, A. Richard, F. Nachit-Ouinekh, and F. Boureau, “Assessing the severity of migraine: development of the MIGSEV scale,” Headache, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 628–635, 2003.
- A. Zandifar, S. S. Masjedi, F. Haghdoost, et al., “The psychometric properties of the persian migraine-specific quality of life questionnaire version 2.1 in episodic and chronic migraines,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2013, Article ID 950245, 6 pages, 2013.
- A. C. Ross, J. E. Manson, S. A. Abrams et al., “The 2011 report on dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D from the Institute of Medicine: what clinicians need to know,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2011.
- C. J. Rosen, S. A. Abrams, J. F. Aloia et al., “IOM committee members respond to endocrine society vitamin D guideline,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1146–1152, 2012.
- A. Mithal, D. A. Wahl, J.-P. Bonjour et al., “Global vitamin D status and determinants of hypovitaminosis D,” Osteoporosis International, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1807–1820, 2009.
- M. F. Holick, “Medical progress: vitamin D deficiency,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 3, pp. 266–281, 2007.
- C. J. Rosen, “Clinical practice. Vitamin D insufficiency,” The New England Journal of medicine, vol. 364, no. 3, pp. 248–254, 2011.
- A. M. Wallace, S. Gibson, A. de la Hunty, C. Lamberg-Allardt, and M. Ashwell, “Measurement of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in the clinical laboratory: current procedures, performance characteristics and limitations,” Steroids, vol. 75, no. 7, pp. 477–488, 2010.
- M. Kjaergaard, A. E. Eggen, E. B. Mathiesen, and R. Jorde, “Association between headache and serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, the tromso study: tromso 6,” Headache, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 1499–1505, 2012.
- H. L. O'Brien, A. D. Hershey, M. A. Kabbouche et al., “Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among pediatric patients with recurrent headaches,” Headache, vol. 50, supplement 1, p. S23, 2010.
- J. C. Krusz, J. P. Albright, and J. Cagle, “Vitamin D levels in migraine and headache patients compared to patients with pain disorders,” Headache, vol. 50, pp. S24–S25, 2010.
- G. Loncar, B. Bozic, S. Dimkovic et al., “Association of increased parathyroid hormone with neuroendocrine activation and endothelial dysfunction in elderly men with heart failure,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. e78–e85, 2011.
- G. Rashid, J. Bernheim, J. Green, and S. Benchetrit, “Parathyroid hormone stimulates the endothelial nitric oxide synthase through protein kinase A and C pathways,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 2831–2837, 2007.
- K. V. Knutsen, M. Brekke, S. Gjelstad, and P. Lagerløv, “Vitamin D status in patients with musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and headache: a cross-sectional descriptive study in a multi-ethnic general practice in Norway,” Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 166–171, 2010.