- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 531389, 4 pages
Comparison of Semi-Automated and Manual Measurements of Carotid Intima-Media Thickening
Department of Cardiology, Tallaght Hospital, Dublin 24, Ireland
Received 24 April 2013; Accepted 28 October 2013; Published 21 January 2014
Academic Editor: Ali AbuRahma
Copyright © 2014 Oscar Mac Ananey et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. J. Laslett, P. Alagona Jr., B. A. Clark III, et al., “The worldwide environment of cardiovascular disease: prevalence, diagnosis, therapy, and policy issues: a report from the American College of Cardiology,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 60, no. 28, supplement, pp. S1–S49, 2012.
- M. Chiu, P. C. Austin, D. G. Manuel, and J. V. Tu, “Comparison of cardiovascular risk profiles among ethnic groups using population health surveys between 1996 and 2007,” Canadian Medical Association Journal, vol. 182, no. 8, pp. E301–E310, 2010.
- H. M. Den Ruijter, S. A. Peters, T. J. Anderson, et al., “Common carotid intima-media thickness measurements in cardiovascular risk prediction: a meta-analysis,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 308, no. 8, pp. 796–803, 2012.
- E. de Groot, S. I. van Leuven, R. Duivenvoorden et al., “Measurement of carotid intima-media thickness to assess progression and regression of atherosclerosis,” Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 280–288, 2008.
- A. Hofman, C. M. van Duijn, O. H. Franco et al., “The Rotterdam Study: 2012 objectives and design update,” European Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 657–686, 2011.
- S. Mora, M. Szklo, J. D. Otvos et al., “LDL particle subclasses, LDL particle size, and carotid atherosclerosis in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA),” Atherosclerosis, vol. 192, no. 1, pp. 211–217, 2007.
- R. Li, B. B. Duncan, P. A. Metcalf et al., “B-mode-detected carotid artery plaque in a general population,” Stroke, vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 2377–2383, 1994.
- F. Molinari, G. Zeng, and J. S. Suri, “A state of the art review on intima-media thickness (IMT) measurement and wall segmentation techniques for carotid ultrasound,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 201–221, 2010.
- V. Freire, A. Ribeiro, F. Barbosa et al., “Comparison between automated and manual measurements of carotid intima-media thickness in clinical practice,” Vascular Health and Risk Management, vol. 5, pp. 811–817, 2009.
- S. Puchner, M. Reiter, C. Baros, E. Minar, J. Lammer, and R. A. Bucek, “Assessment of intima-media thickness of carotid arteries: evaluation of an automated computer software,” Neuroradiology, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 849–853, 2008.
- T. Yanase, S. Nasu, Y. Mukuta et al., “Evaluation of a new carotid intima-media thickness measurement by B-Mode ultrasonography using an innovative measurement software, intimascope,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1206–1212, 2006.
- M. Seçil, C. Altay, A. Gülcü, H. Ceçe, A. Y. Göktay, and O. Dicle, “Automated measurement of intima-media thickness of carotid arteries in ultrasonography by computer software,” Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 105–108, 2005.
- A. D. Gepner, J. G. Keevil, R. A. Wyman et al., “Use of carotid intima-media thickness and vascular age to modify cardiovascular risk prediction,” Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1170–1174, 2006.
- R. R. Rodriguez, R. A. Gómez-Díaz, J. T. Haj, et al., “Carotid intima-media thickness in pediatric type 1 diabetic patients,” Diabetes Care, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 2599–2602, 2007.
- G. Vicente-Rodríguez, J. P. Rey-López, M. I. Mesana, et al., “Reliability and intermethod agreement for body fat assessment among two field and two laboratory methods in adolescents,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 221–228, 2012.
- J. M. Bland and D. G. Altman, “A note on the use of the intraclass correlation coefficient in the evaluation of agreement between two methods of measurement,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 337–340, 1990.
- L. G. Portney and M. P. Watkins, Foundations of Clinical Research Applications to Practice, Pearson, 3th edition, 2008.
- P.-J. Touboul, M. G. Hennerici, S. Meairs et al., “Mannheim carotid intima-media thickness consensus (2004-2006): an update on behalf of the advisory board of the 3rd and 4th Watching the Risk Symposium 13th and 15th European Stroke Conferences, Mannheim, Germany, 2004, and Brussels, Belgium, 2006,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 75–80, 2007.
- Z. D. Goldberger, J. A. Valle, V. K. Dandekar, P. S. Chan, D. T. Ko, and B. K. Nallamothu, “Are changes in carotid intima-media thickness related to risk of nonfatal myocardial infarction? A critical review and meta-regression analysis,” American Heart Journal, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 701–714, 2010.
- S. Latika, S. C. Agarwal, and D. Philip, “Carotid intima-media thickness as a surrogate marker of cardiovascular disease in diabetes,” Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity, vol. 2011, article 4, pp. 23–24, 2011.
- V. Nambi, L. Chambless, A. R. Folsom et al., “Carotid intima-media thickness and presence or absence of plaque improves prediction of coronary heart disease risk: the ARIC (Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities) study,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 55, no. 15, pp. 1600–1607, 2010.
- M. W. Lorenz, S. von Kegler, H. Steinmetz, H. S. Markus, and M. Sitzer, “Carotid intima-media thickening indicates a higher vascular risk across a wide age range: prospective data from the carotid atherosclerosis progression study (CAPS),” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 2006.
- I. Wendelhag, T. Gustavsson, M. Suurküla, G. Berglund, and J. Wikstrand, “Ultrasound measurement of wall thickness in the carotid artery: fundamental principles and description of a computerized analysing system,” Clinical Physiology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 565–577, 1991.