- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 541319, 10 pages
Booster Vaccination: The Role of Reduced Antigen Content Vaccines as a Preschool Booster
1Department of Prevention, O.U. Hygiene and Public Health, LHU 4 “Chiavarese”-Liguria Region, Corso Dante 163, Chiavari, 16043 Genoa, Italy
2Department of Health Sciences, University of Genova, Via Pastore 1, 16132 Genoa, Italy
3Department of Prevention, LHU Taranto, Viale Virgilio 31, 74100 Taranto, Italy
4Department of Prevention, LHU 20 Verona, Via Salvo d’Acquisto 7, 37122 Verona, Italy
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 25 September 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013; Published 11 February 2014
Academic Editor: Gerardo Chowell
Copyright © 2014 Giovanni Gabutti et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, Vaccine Introduction Guidelines. Adding a Vaccine to a National Immunization Programme: Decision and Implementation, WHO, 2005, http://www.who.int/vaccines-documents.
- CDC, “General recommendations on immunization. Recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practices,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 1–64, 2011.
- Conferenza permanente per i rapporti tra lo Stato, Regioni e le Province Autonome di Trento e Bolzano. Intesa 22 febbraio 2012. Intesa ai sensi dell’art 8, comma 6, della legge 5 giugno 2003, n.131, tra il Governo, le Regioni e le Province Autonome di Trento e Bolzano, sul documento recante, “Piano Nazionale Prevenzione Vaccinale 2012–2014,” (PNPV, 2012–2014). GU n. 60 del 12-03-2012 - Suppl. ordinario n. 47.
- M. G. Marino and E. Franco, “Immunization in the 3rd, 5th and 11th month of age: an Italian intuition,” Igiene e Sanità Pubblica, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 391–401, 2008.
- ECDC, Scientific Panel on Childhood Immunisation Schedule: Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis (DTP) Vaccination, ECDC Guidance, Stockholm, Sweden, 2009, http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/0911_GUI_Scientific_Panel_on_Childhood_Immunisation_DTP.pdf.
- G. Gabutti, “The value of booster vaccinations against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and poliomyelitis,” Journal of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 47–54, 2008.
- A. Mark, B. Bjorkstén, and M. Granstrom, “Immunoglobulin E responses to diphtheria and tetanus toxoids after booster with aluminium-adsorbed and fluid DT-vaccines,” Vaccine, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 669–673, 1995.
- E. H. Relyveld, B. Bizzini, and R. K. Gupta, “Rational approaches to reduce adverse reactions in man to vaccines containing tetanus and diphtheria toxoids,” Vaccine, vol. 16, no. 9-10, pp. 1016–1023, 1998.
- K. Edelman, K. Malmstrom, Q. He, J. Savolainen, E. O. Terho, and J. Mertsola, “Local reactions and IgE antibodies to pertussis toxin after acellular diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis immunization,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 158, no. 12, pp. 989–994, 1999.
- J. G. Liese, S. Stojanov, T. H. Zink et al., “Safety and immunogenicity of Biken acellular pertussis vaccine in combination with diphtheria and tetanus toxoid as a fifth dose at four to six years of age,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 981–988, 2001.
- M. B. Rennels, “Extensive swelling reactions occurring after booster doses of diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccines,” Seminars in Pediatric Infectious Diseases, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 196–198, 2003.
- D. W. Scheifele, S. A. Halperin, J. J. Ochnio, A. C. Ferguson, and D. M. Skowronski, “A modified vaccine reduces the rate of large injection site reactions to the preschool booster dose of diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccine: results of a randomized, controlled trial,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1059–1066, 2005.
- J. B. Robbins, R. Schneerson, B. Trollfors et al., “The diphtheria and pertussis components of diphtheria-tetanus toxoids-pertussis vaccine should be genetically inactivated mutant toxins,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 191, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 2005.
- J. Rowe, S. T. Yerkovich, P. Richmond et al., “Th2-associated local reactions to the acellular diphtheria-tetanus- pertussis vaccine in 4- to 6-year-old children,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 8130–8135, 2005.
- D. W. Scheifele, J. J. Ochnio, and S. A. Halperin, “Cellular immunity as a potential cause of local reactions to booster vaccination with diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis antigens,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 985–989, 2009.
- G. Gabutti, M. Conversano, G. Ferrera et al., Update on the Role of DTpa-IPV Vaccine as a Booster in the Pre-School Age, Eurovaccine, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010.
- Conferenza permanente per i rapporti tra lo Stato, Regioni e le Province Autonome di Trento e Bolzano, “Determinazione 3 marzo 2005,” Accordo ai sensi dell’art 4 del decreto legislativo 28 agosto 1997, n.281, tra il Ministro della salute e i Presidenti delle regioni e delle province autonome, concernente il Nuovo Piano Nazionale Vaccini 2005-2007. GU n.86 del 14-04-2005 – Suppl. ordinario n.63.
- M. L. Ciofi Degli Atti, S. Salmaso, B. Cotter et al., “Reactogenicity and immunogenicity of adult versus paediatric diphtheria and tetanus booster dose at 6 years of age,” Vaccine, vol. 20, no. 1-2, pp. 74–79, 2001.
- K. D. Forsyth, C.-H. Wirsing von Konig, T. Tan, J. Caro, and S. Plotkin, “Prevention of pertussis: recommendations derived from the second Global Pertussis Initiative roundtable meeting,” Vaccine, vol. 25, no. 14, pp. 2634–2642, 2007.
- L.-M. Huang, L.-Y. Chang, H. Tang et al., “Immunogenicity and reactogenicity of a reduced-antigen-content diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccine in healthy Taiwanese children and adolescents,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 517.e1–517.e5, 2005.
- J. M. Jacquet, P. Bégué, E. Grimprel et al., “Safety and immunogenicity of a combined DTPa-IPV vaccine administered as a booster from 4 years of age: a review,” Vaccine, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 2440–2448, 2006.
- F. Zepp, B. Cheuvart, and J. Wolter, “Anti-diphtheria antibodies should persist until adolescence after a reduced-antigen diphtheria, tetanus and acellular pertussis vaccine (dTpa) in pre-school-aged children,” in Proceedings of the 21st Annual Meeting of the European Society of Pediatric Infectious Diseases (ESPID '03), Giardini Naxos, Taormina, Italy, 2003.
- R. Sänger, U. Behre, K.-H. Krause et al., “Booster vaccination and 1-year follow-up of 4-8-year-old children with a reduced-antigen-content dTpa-IPV vaccine,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 166, no. 12, pp. 1229–1236, 2007.
- A. Bose, A. P. Dubey, D. Gandhi et al., “Safety and reactogenicity of a low-dose diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccine (Boostrix) in pre-school Indian children,” Indian Pediatrics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 421–424, 2007.
- K. S. Kohl, W. Walop, J. Gidudu et al., “Swelling at or near injection site: case definition and guidelines for collection, analysis and presentation of immunization safety data,” Vaccine, vol. 25, no. 31, pp. 5858–5874, 2007.
- S. Black, L. R. Friedland, K. Ensor, W. M. Weston, B. Howe, and N. P. Klein, “Diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis and inactivated poliovirus vaccines given separately or combined for booster dosing at 4–6 years of age,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 341–346, 2008.
- C. U. Meyer, P. Habermehl, M. Knuf, B. Hoet, J. Wolter, and F. Zepp, “Immunogenicity and reactogenicity of acellular pertussis booster vaccines in children: standard pediatric versus a reduced-antigen content formulation,” Human Vaccines, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 203–209, 2008.
- T.-Y. Lin, Y.-H. Wang, Y.-C. Huang et al., “Booster vaccination at 6–8 years of age with a reduced antigen content dTpa-IPV vaccine is immunogenic and safe after priming with whole-cell pertussis vaccine,” Human Vaccines, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 50–53, 2008.
- F. Zhu, S. Zhang, Q. Hou et al., “Booster vaccination against pertussis in Chinese children at six years of age using reduced antigen content diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccine (Boostrix),” Human Vaccines, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 263–269, 2010.
- P. Quinn, M. Gold, J. Royle et al., “Recurrence of extensive injection site reactions following DTPa or dTpa vaccine in children 4–6 years old,” Vaccine, vol. 29, no. 25, pp. 4230–4237, 2011.
- C. Pancharoen, T. Chotpitayasunondh, S. Chuenkitmongkol, and E. Ortiz, “Long-term immunogenicity assessment of a DTaP-IPV//PRP-T vaccine given at 2, 4, 6 and 18-19 months of age, and immunogenicity and safety of a DTaP-IPV vaccine given as a booster dose at 4 to 6 years of age in Thai children,” The Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 687–698, 2012.
- A. M. Alguacil Ramos, A. Portero Alonso, E. Pastor Villalba, R. Martin Ivorra, and J. A. Lluch Rodrigo, “Analysis of the AEFI associated with the DTaP and dTap vaccine. Valencian community,” in Proceedings of the 30th Annual meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Disease (ESPID '12), Thessaloniki, Greece, 2012.
- G. Ferrera, M. Cuccia, G. Mereu et al., “Booster vaccination of pre-school children with reduced-antigen-content diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis-inactivated poliovirus vaccine co-administered with measles-mumps-rubella-varicella vaccine: a randomized, controlled trial in children primed according to a 2+1 schedule in infancy,” Human Vaccines and Immunotherapeutics, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 345–352, 2012.
- B. Cheuvart, M. Burgess, F. Zepp, J. Mertsola, J. Wolter, and L. Schuerman, “Anti-diphtheria antibody seroprotection rates are similar 10 years after vaccination with dTpa or DTPa using a mathematical model,” Vaccine, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 336–342, 2004.
- P. Kosuwon, B. Warachit, Y. Hutagalung et al., “Reactogenicity and immunogenicity of reduced antigen content diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis vaccine (dTpa) administered as a booster to 4-6 year-old children primed with four doses of whole-cell pertussis vaccine,” Vaccine, vol. 21, no. 27–30, pp. 4194–4200, 2003.
- P. B. McIntyre, M. A. Burgess, A. Egan, L. Schuerman, and B. Hoet, “Booster vaccination of adults with reduced-antigen-content diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis vaccine: immunogenicity 5 years post-vaccination,” Vaccine, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1062–1066, 2009.
- J. Mertsola, Q. He, O. van der Meeren, et al., “The decennial administration of reduced antigen dTpavaccine (Boostrix) in young adults. Incidence of solicited local symptoms classified by prevaccination antibody concentrations,” in Proceedings of the 27th Annual Meeting of European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases (ESPID '09), Brussels, Belgium, 2009.
- J. Mertsola, F. Zepp, O. van der Meeren, et al., “The immunogenicity and asfety of repeated administration of dTap booster in adolescents and young adults,” in Proceedings of the 27th Annual Meeting of European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases (ESPID '09), Brussels, Belgium, 2009.
- J. Mertsola, R. Booy, Q. He, et al., “The immunogenicity of repeated administration of reduced antigen content dTpa booster vaccine in adults,” in Proceedings of the 6th World Congress of the Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (ESPID '09), Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2009.
- J. Mertsola, O. van der Meeren, Q. He et al., “Decennial administration of a reduced antigen content diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine in young adults,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 656–662, 2010.
- M. Knuf, V. Vetter, F. Celzo, G. Ramakrishnan, O. van der Meeren, and J. M. Jacquet, “Repeated administration of a reduced-antigen-content diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis and poliomyelitis vaccine (dTpa-IPV; Boostrix IPV),” Human Vaccines, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 554–561, 2010.
- L. J. Scott, “Spotlight on Tdap5 vaccine (Covaxis) as a single-booster immunization for the prevention of tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis: in children (Aged ≥4 Years), adolescents, and adults,” Pediatric Drugs, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 133–135, 2011.
- P. A. Bozen South Tyrol, “La vaccinazione protegge,” Infectious diseases prevention, 2009, http://www.provincia.bz.it/sanita/download/Italienisch_Impfen.pdf.
- Bollettino Ufficiale della Regione Puglia n. 124 del 12/08/2009. Deliberazione della Giunta Regionale 21/07/2009, n. 1286 Commissione tecnico-scientifica regionale Vaccini – D.G.R. n. 245/08, Modifica Calendario Vaccinale Regione Puglia 2008. Adozione Calendario Vaccinale Regione Puglia 2009, http://www.regione.puglia.it/web/files/sanita/calendario_vaccinale_2010.pdf.
- S. Salmaso, P. Mastrantonio, A. E. Tozzi et al., “Sustained efficacy during the first 6 years of life of 3-component acellular pertussis vaccines administered in infancy: the Italian experience,” Pediatrics, vol. 108, no. 5, article e81, 2001.
- J. Diez-Domingo, J. D. Delgado, A. Ballester et al., “Immunogenicity and reactogenicity of a combined adsorbed tetanus toxoid, low dose diphtheria toxoid, five component acellular pertussis and inactivated polio vaccine in six-year-old children,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 219–224, 2005.
- L. Nilsson, G. Faldella, J.-M. Jacquet, J. Storsaeter, S.-A. Silfverdal, and L. Ekholm, “A fourth dose of DTPa-IPV vaccine given to 4–6 year old children in Italy and Sweden following primary vaccination at 3, 5 and 11-12 months of age,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 221–229, 2005.
- S. Dhillon, “DTPa-HBV-IPVHib vaccine (infanrix hexaTM): a review of its use as primary and booster vaccination,” Drugs, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 1021–1058, 2010.
- Italian Society of Hygiene, Preventive Medicine, Public Health (SItI), the Italian Federation of Paediatricians (FIMP), the Italian Society of Pediatrics (SIP), and the Italian Society of General Practitioners (SIMMG), “Calendario vaccinale per la vita,” http://www.societaitalianaigiene.org/cms/images/docs/calendariovaccinale/2012/cvplv.pdf.
- CDC, “Updated recommendations for use of tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccine from the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 13–15, 2011.
- D. A. G. Skibinski, B. C. Baudner, M. Singh, and D. T. O'Hagan, “Combination vaccines,” Journal of Global Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 63–72, 2011.