- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 548960, 7 pages
Detection of Carbapenemase-Producing Enterobacteriaceae in the Baltic Countries and St. Petersburg Area
1Department of Microbiology, University of Tartu, Ravila 19, 50411 Tartu, Estonia
2East-Tallinn Central Hospital, Ravi 18, 10138 Tallinn, Estonia
3Rīga Stradiņš University, 16 Dzirciema Street, Rīga, LV-1007, Latvia
4Smittskyddsinstitutet, Folkhälsomyndigheten, 171 82 Solna, Sweden
5Institut Pasteur in Saint Petersburg, Ul Mira 14, Saint Petersburg 197101, Russia
6St. Petersburg Hospital No. 31, Pr. Dinamo 3, Saint Petersburg 197110, Russia
7St. Petersburg Hospital No. 40, Ul Borisova 9, Sestroretsk, Saint Petersburg 197706, Russia
8Vilnius City Clinical Hospital, Antakalnio Street 57, LT-10007 Vilnius, Lithuania
9Quattromed HTI Laboratories, Väike-Paala 1, 11415 Tallinn, Estonia
Received 4 December 2013; Revised 18 January 2014; Accepted 21 January 2014; Published 4 March 2014
Academic Editor: Karmen Torkar
Copyright © 2014 Anastasia Pavelkovich et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “Multidrug antibiotic resistance increasing in Europe,” ECDC, 2012, http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/press/news/_layouts/forms/News_DispForm.aspx?ID=563&List=8db7286c-fe2d-476c-9133-18ff4cb1b568.
- A. Marra, “NDM-1: a local clone emerges with worldwide aspirations,” Future Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 137–141, 2011.
- EARS-Net Annual Report, 2011, http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/publications/antimicrobial-resistance-surveillance-europe-2011.pdf.
- C. Glasner, B. Albiger, G. Buist et al., “Carbapenemase-producing enterobacteriaceae in Europe: a survey among national experts from 39 countries, February 2013,” Eurosurveillance, vol. 18, no. 28, article 3, 2013.
- P. Nordmann, M. Gniadkowski, C. G. Giske et al., “Identification and screening of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 432–438, 2012.
- J. Hrabák, V. Študentová, R. Walková et al., “Detection of NDM-1, VIM-1, KPC, OXA-48, and OXA-162 carbapenemases by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 2441–2443, 2012.
- L. Wang, C. Han, W. Sui, M. Wang, and X. Lu, “MALDI-TOF MS applied to indirect carbapenemase detection: a validated procedure to clearly distinguish between carbapenemase-positive and carbapenemase-negative bacterial strains,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 405, no. 15, pp. 5259–5266, 2013.
- I. Burckhardt and S. Zimmermann, “Using matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry to detect carbapenem resistance within 1 to 2.5 hours,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 3321–3324, 2011.
- K. Sparbier, S. Schubert, U. Weller, C. Boogen, and M. Kostrzewa, “Matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry-based functional assay for rapid detection of resistance against β-lactam antibiotics,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 927–937, 2012.
- K. Sparbier, K. Lange, J. Jung, S. Schubert, and M. Kostrzewa, “An automated evaluation algorithm for then MALDI-TOF MS based functional β-lactamase assay,” ASMS, A101, 2013, http://www.bruker.com/ru/products/mass-spectrometry-and-separations/literature/literature-room.html?eID=dam_frontend_push&stream=1&docID=55242.
- R. E. Mendes, K. A. Kiyota, J. Monteiro et al., “Rapid detection and identification of metallo-β-lactamase-encoding genes by multiplex real-time PCR assay and melt curve analysis,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 544–547, 2007.
- L. Poirel, C. Héritier, V. Tolün, and P. Nordmann, “Emergence of oxacillinase-mediated resistance to imipenem in Klebsiella pneumoniae,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2004.
- Ø. Samuelsen, C. M. Thilesen, L. Heggelund, A. N. Vada, A. Kümmel, and A. Sundsfjord, “Identification of NDM-1-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Norway,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 670–672, 2011.
- L. Chen, K. D. Chavda, J. R. Mediavilla et al., “Multiplex real-time PCR for detection of an epidemic KPC-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae ST258 clone,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 3444–3447, 2012.
- C. I. Birkett, H. A. Ludlam, N. Woodford et al., “Real-time TaqMan PCR for rapid detection and typing of genes encoding CTX-M extended-spectrum β-lactamases,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 56, part 1, pp. 52–55, 2007.
- O. Barraud, M. C. Baclet, F. Denis, and M. C. Ploy, “Quantitative multiplex real-time PCR for detecting class 1, 2 and 3 integrons,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 65, no. 8, Article ID dkq167, pp. 1642–1645, 2010.
- P. Nordmann, T. Naas, and L. Poirel, “Global spread of carbapenemase producing Enterobacteriaceae,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1791–1798, 2011.
- M. Kostrzewa and D. Orth, “Bruker Daltonik GmbH: MALDI TOF based microbial identification for the 21st century… and beyond,” in Proceedings of the 23rd European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, April 2013.
- R. Farzana, S. Shamsuzzaman, and K. Z. Mamun, “Isolation and molecular characterization of New Delhi metallo-β-lactamase-1 producing superbug in Bangladesh,” Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 161–168, 2013.
- D. Yong, M. A. Toleman, C. G. Giske et al., “Characterization of a new metallo-β-lactamase gene, bla NDM-1, and a novel erythromycin esterase gene carried on a unique genetic structure in Klebsiella pneumoniae sequence type 14 from India,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 53, no. 12, pp. 5046–5054, 2009.
- S. Derakhshan, S. N. Peerayeh, F. Fallah, B. Bakhshi, M. Rahbar, and A. Ashrafi, “Detection of class 1, 2, and 3 integrons among Klebsiella pneumoniae isolated from children in Tehran hospitals,” Pediatric Infectious Diseases, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 164–168, 2013.