- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 569675, 5 pages
Dental Calculus Is Associated with Death from Heart Infarction
1Department of Dental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, P.O. Box 4064, 14104 Huddinge, Sweden
2Institute of Dentistry and Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, PB 41, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 30 September 2013; Accepted 22 October 2013; Published 9 January 2014
Academic Editor: Claudia Slimings
Copyright © 2014 Birgitta Söder et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P.-Ö. Söder, B. Söder, J. Nowak, and T. Jogestrand, “Early carotid atherosclerosis in subjects with periodontal diseases,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1195–1200, 2005.
- B. Söder, L. J. Jin, B. Klinge, and P.-Ö. Söder, “Periodontitis and premature death: a 16-year longitudinal study in a Swedish urban population,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 361–366, 2007.
- S. S. Socransky, R. J. Gibbons, A. C. Dale, L. Bortnick, E. Rosenthal, and J. B. Macdonald, “The microbiota of the gingival crevice area of man-I. Total microscopic and viable counts and counts of specific organisms,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 275–280, 1963.
- S. S. Socransky and A. D. Haffajee, “Periodontal microbial ecology,” Periodontology 2000, vol. 38, pp. 135–187, 2005.
- B. J. Paster, S. K. Boches, J. L. Galvin et al., “Bacterial diversity in human subgingival plaque,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 183, no. 12, pp. 3770–3783, 2001.
- S. Jepsen, J. Deschner, A. Braun, F. Schwarz, and J. Eberhard, “Calculus removal and the prevention of its formation,” Periodontology 2000, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 167–188, 2011.
- J. Theilade, “Electron microscopic study of calculus attachment to smooth surfaces,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 22, pp. 379–387, 1964.
- J. Theilade, R. J. Fitzgerald, D. B. Scott, and M. U. Nylen, “Electron microscopic observations of dental calculus in germfree and conventional rats,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 97–100, 1964.
- J. Friskopp and L. Hammarstrom, “An enzyme histochemical study of dental plaque and calculus,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 459–466, 1982.
- V. Clerehugh and M. A. Lennon, “A two-year longitudinal study of early periodontitis in 14- to 16-year-old schoolchildren,” Community Dental Health, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 135–141, 1986.
- F. C. Nichols, H. Levinbook, M. Shnaydman, and J. Goldschmidt, “Prostaglandin E2 secretion from gingival fibroblasts treated with interleukin-1beta;: effects of lipid extracts from Porphyromonas gingival is or calculus,” Journal of Periodontal Research, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 142–152, 2001.
- F. C. Nichols and K. Rojanasomsith, “Porphyromonas gingivalis lipids and diseased dental tissues,” Oral Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 84–92, 2006.
- B. T. K. Tan, N. J. Mordan, J. Embleton, J. Pratten, and P. N. Galgut, “Study of bacterial viability within human supragingival dental calculus,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2004.
- D. J. White, “Dental calculus: recent insights into occurrence, formation, prevention, removal and oral health effects of supragingival and subgingival deposits,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 105, no. 5, pp. 508–522, 1997.
- P. B. Lockhart, A. F. Bolger, P. N. Papapanou et al., “Periodontal disease and atherosclerotic vascular disease: does the evidence support an independent association?: a scientific statement from the american heart association,” Circulation, vol. 125, no. 20, pp. 2520–2544, 2012.
- G. Persson, L. Barlow, A. Karlsson, et al., “Cardiovascular diseases,” Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, vol. 58, pp. 41–46, 2001.
- A. Åberg, “Myocardial infarctions in Sweden 1987–2010,” in Statistics-Health and Medical Care in Sweden, pp. 31–36, 2011.
- B. L. Pihlstrom, B. S. Michalowicz, and N. W. Johnson, “Periodontal diseases,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9499, pp. 1809–1820, 2005.
- F. A. Scannapieco, R. B. Bush, and S. Paju, “Associations between periodontal disease and risk for atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease, and stroke. A systematic review,” Annals of Periodontology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 38–53, 2003.
- J. Silness and H. Loee, “Periodontal disease in pregnancy. II. Correlation between oral hygiene and periodontal condtion,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 22, pp. 121–135, 1964.
- H. Loee and J. Silness, “Periodontal disease in pregnancy I. Prevalence and severity,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 21, pp. 533–551, 1963.
- J. C. Greene and J. R. Vermillion, “The simplified oral hygiene index,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 68, pp. 7–13, 1964.
- V. V. Valtonen, “Role of infections in atherosclerosis,” American Heart Journal, vol. 138, no. 5, pp. S431–S433, 1999.
- E. De Nardin, “The role of inflammatory and immunological mediators in periodontitis and cardiovascular disease,” Annals of Periodontology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 30–40, 2001.
- P. B. Lockhart, M. T. Brennan, M. Thornhill et al., “Poor oral hygiene as a risk factor for infective endocarditis-related bacteremia,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 140, no. 10, pp. 1238–1244, 2009.
- “Life expectancy in Stockholm,” in Statistical Year-Book of Stockholm, USK, Ed., Stockholm, Sweden, 2011.
- M. Addy and R. Koltai, “Control of supragingival calculus. Scaling and polishing and anticalculus toothpastes: an opinion,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 342–346, 1994.
- I. D. Mandel and A. Gaffar, “Calculus revisited: a review,” Journal of clinical periodontology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 249–257, 1986.