- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 632570, 7 pages
Topical Application of Retinyl Palmitate-Loaded Nanotechnology-Based Drug Delivery Systems for the Treatment of Skin Aging
1Departament of Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNESP, 14801-902 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
2Departament of Clinical Analysis, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNESP, 14801-902 Araraquara, SP, Brazil, Brazil
3Institute of Environmental, Chemistry and Pharmaceuticals Sciences, Federal University of São Paulo (UNIFESP), 09972-270 Diadema, SP, Brazil
4Ugelstad Laboratory, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Received 12 November 2013; Revised 9 January 2014; Accepted 31 January 2014; Published 19 March 2014
Academic Editor: Philippe Humbert
Copyright © 2014 Marcela B. Oliveira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. R. Helfrich, D. L. Sachs, and J. J. Voorhees, “Overview of skin aging and photoaging,” Dermatology Nursing, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 177–184, 2008.
- M. Manela-Azulay and E. Bagatin, “Cosmeceuticals vitamins,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 469–474, 2009.
- O. Sorg, S. Kuenzli, G. Kaya, and J. H. Saurat, “Proposed mechanisms of action for retinoid derivatives in the treatment of skin aging,” Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 237–244, 2005.
- M. Ramos-e-Silva, D. M. Hexsel, M. S. Rutowitsch, and M. Zechmeister, “Hydroxy acids and retinoids in cosmetics,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 460–466, 2001.
- L. Rittié and G. J. Fisher, “UV-light-induced signal cascades and skin aging,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 705–720, 2002.
- M. P. Lupo, “Antioxidants and vitamins in cosmetics,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 467–473, 2001.
- R. Serri and M. Iorizzo, “Cosmeceuticals: focus on topical retinoids in photoaging,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 633–635, 2008.
- M.-S. Lee, K.-H. Lee, H.-S. Sin, S.-J. Um, J.-W. Kim, and B.-K. Koh, “A newly synthesized photostable retinol derivative (retinyl N-formyl aspartamate) for photodamaged skin: profilometric evaluation of 24-week study,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 220–224, 2006.
- J. Zussman, J. Ahdout, and J. Kim, “Vitamins and photoaging: do scientific data support their use?” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 507–525, 2010.
- D. A. Glaser, “Anti-aging products and cosmeceuticals,” Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 363–372, 2004.
- C. Antille, C. Tran, O. Sorg, P. Carraux, L. Didierjean, and J.-H. Saurat, “Vitamin A exerts a photoprotective action in skin by absorbing ultraviolet B radiation,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 1163–1167, 2003.
- G. G. Morais, O. D. H. Santos, W. P. Oliveira, and P. A. Rocha Filho, “Attainment of O/W emulsions containing liquid crystal from annatto oil (Bixa orellana), coffee oil, and tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) as oily phase using HLB system and ternary phase diagram,” Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 297–306, 2008.
- B. V. Bonifácio, P. B. da Silva, M. A. Dos et al., “Nanotechnology-based drug delivery systems and herbal medicines: a review,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, pp. 1–15, 20149.
- M. Kreilgaard, “Influence of microemulsions on cutaneous drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 54, pp. S77–S98, 2002.
- D. I. Nesseem, “Formulation and evaluation of itraconazole via liquid crystal for topical delivery system,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 387–399, 2001.
- P. S. Prestes, M. Chorilli, L. A. Chiavacci, M. V. Scarpa, and G. R. Leonardi, “Physicochemical characterization and rheological behavior evaluation of the liquid crystalline mesophases developed with different silicones,” Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 117–123, 2009.
- M. Chorilli, P. S. Prestes, R. B. Rigon et al., “Structural characterization and in vivo evaluation of retinyl palmitate in non-ionic lamellar liquid crystalline system,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 182–188, 2011.
- M. Chorilli, P. S. Prestes, R. B. Rigon, G. R. Leonardi, L. A. Chiavacci, and M. V. Scarpa, “Desenvolvimento de sistemas líquido-cristalinos empregando silicone fluido de co-polímero glicol e poliéter funcional siloxano,” Química Nova, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 1036–1040, 2009.
- M. Jumaa, P. Kleinebudde, and B. W. Müller, “Physicochemical properties and hemolytic effect of different lipid emulsion formulations using a mixture of emulsifiers,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 293–301, 1999.
- Z.-R. Huang, S.-C. Hua, Y.-L. Yang, and J.-Y. Fang, “Development and evaluation of lipid nanoparticles for camptothecin delivery: a comparison of solid lipid nanoparticles, nanostructured lipid carriers, and lipid emulsion,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1094–1102, 2008.
- M. S. Blois, “Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical,” Nature, vol. 181, no. 4617, pp. 1199–1200, 1958.
- T. Norling, P. Lading, S. Engstrom, K. Larsson, N. Krog, and S. S. Nissen, “Formulation of a drug delivery system based on a mixture of monoglycerides and triglycerides for use in the treatment of periodontal disease,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 687–692, 1992.
- T. P. Formariz, M. C. C. Urban, A. A. da Silva Júnior, M. P. D. Gremião, and A. G. de Oliveira, “Microemulsões e fases líquidas cristalinas como sistemas de liberação de fármacos,” Revista Brasileira de Ciências Farmacêuticas, vol. 41, pp. 301–313, 2005.
- I. M. Number, 3: An Introduction to Rheology, Micelle Press, Dorset, UK, 1997.
- G. Schramm, Reologia e Reometria: Fundamentos Teóricos e Práticos, Artliber, 2006.
- A. L. K. Milan, D. Milão, A. A. Souto, and T. W. F. Corte, “Estudo da hidratação da pele por emulsões cosméticas para xerose e sua estabilidade por reologia,” Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 43, no. 4, 2007.
- M. H. Lahoud and R. Campos, “Aspectos teóricos relacionados à reologia farmacêutica,” Visão Acadêmica, vol. 11, no. 1, 2011.
- M. Chorilli, R. B. Rigon, G. Calixto, et al., “Rheological characterization and safety evaluation of non-ionic lamellar liquid crystalline systems containing retinyl palmitate,” Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology. In press.
- L. R. Gaspar and P. M. B. G. Maia Campos, “Rheological behavior and the SPF of sunscreens,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 250, no. 1, pp. 35–44, 2003.
- T. Gao, J. Tien, and Y. Choi, “Sunscreen formulas with multilayer lamella structure,” Cosmetics and Toiletries, vol. 118, no. 10, pp. 41–52, 2003.
- F. C. Carvalho, G. Calixto, I. N. Hatakeyama, G. M. Luz, M. P. Gremião, and M. Chorilli, “Rheological, mechanical, and bioadhesive behavior of hydrogels to optimize skin delivery systems,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1750–1757, 2013.
- I. Almeida and M. F. Bahia, “Reologia: interesse e aplicações na área cosmético-farmacêutica,” Cosmetics & Toiletries, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 96–100, 2003.
- P. S. Prestes, R. B. Rigon, G. N. Guimarães, et al., “Development, physical-chemical stability and rheological behavior of silicones formulations containing Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE),” Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 1–5, 2013.
- F. C. Carvalho, Desenvolvimento e caracterização de sistemas nanoestruturados para potencial administração nasal de zidovudina [Teses e Dissertações], Universidade Estadual Paulista, 2009.
- M. Gonçalez, M. Corrêa, and M. Chorilli, “Skin delivery of kojic Acid-loaded nanotechnology-based drug delivery systems for the treatment of skin aging,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 271276, 9 pages, 2013.
- S. V. P. Malheiros, N. C. Meirelles, and E. de Paula, “Pathways involved in trifluoperazine-, dibucaine- and praziquantel-induced hemolysis,” Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 89–100, 2000.
- F. Kolenyak-Santos, C. Garnero, R. N. de Oliveira et al., “Nanostructured lipid carriers as a strategy to improve the in vitro schistosomiasis activity of praziquantel,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 14, pp. 1–12, 2014.
- R. Abbasalipourkabir, A. Salehzadeh, and R. Abdullah, “Cytotoxicity effect of solid lipid nanoparticles on human breast cancer cell lines,” Biotechnology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 528–533, 2011.
- A. C. Silva, D. Santos, D. C. Ferreira, and E. B. Souto, “Minoxidil-loaded nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC): characterization and rheological behaviour of topical formulations,” Die Pharmazie, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 177–182, 2009.
- O. D. H. dos Santos, M. F. P. de Camargo, F. F. de Andrade, and P. A. da Rocha Filho, “Study of liquid-crystalline phase changes during evaporation in vegetable oil emulsions,” Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 997–1001, 2006.
- M. H. Oyafuso, F. C. Carvalho, L. A. Chiavacci, M. P. D. Gremião, and M. Chorilli, “Design and characterization of silicone and surfactant based systems for topical drug delivery,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 14, pp. 1–10, 2014.