- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 637098, 10 pages
Apoptotic and Inhibitory Effects on Cell Proliferation of Hepatocellular Carcinoma HepG2 Cells by Methanol Leaf Extract of Costus speciosus
1Department of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Dalhousie University, Truro, NS, Canada B2N 5E3
2Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ruhuna, Karapitiya, Sri Lanka
Received 18 October 2013; Revised 1 February 2014; Accepted 4 February 2014; Published 10 April 2014
Academic Editor: Paul J. Higgins
Copyright © 2014 Sandhya V. G. Nair et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. L. Davis, J. Dempster, J. D. Meler et al., “Hepatocellular carcinoma: management of an increasingly common problem,” Proceedings of Baylor University Medical Center, vol. 21, pp. 266–280, 2008.
- R. Pang, E. Tse, and R. T. P. Poon, “Molecular pathways in hepatocellular carcinoma,” Cancer Letters, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 157–169, 2006.
- S. Mittal and H. B. El-Serag, “Epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinoma: consider the population,” Journal of Cinical Gastroenterology, vol. 47, supplement, pp. S2–S6, 2013.
- T. Takayama, M. Makuuchi, S. Hirohashi et al., “Early hepatocellular carcinoma as an entity with a high rate of surgical cure,” Hepatology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1241–1246, 1998.
- R. T. Poon and S. T. Fan, “Resection prior to liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma: a strategy of optimizing the role of resection and transplantation in cirrhotic patients with preserved liver function,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 10, pp. 813–815, 2004.
- S. Garrean, J. Hering, A. Saied, W. S. Helton, and N. J. Espat, “Radiofrequency ablation of primary and metastatic liver tumors: a critical review of the literature,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 195, no. 4, pp. 508–520, 2008.
- R. Lencioni, “Chemoembolization for hepatocellular carcinoma,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 39, pp. 503–509, 2012.
- A. M. Horgan, L. A. Dawson, A. Swaminath, and J. J. Knox, “Sorafenib and radiation therapy for the treatment of advanced hepatocellular carcinoma,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer, vol. 43, pp. 344–348, 2012.
- J. Furuse, “Sorafenib for the treatment of unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma,” Biologics: Targets and Therapy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 779–788, 2008.
- Y. Qurishi, A. Hamid, R. Majeed et al., “Interaction of natural products with cell survival and signaling pathways in the biochemical elucidation of drug targets in cancer,” Future Oncology, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 1007–1021, 2011.
- S. Srivastava, P. Singh, K. K. Jha, G. Misha, S. Srivastava, and R. L. Khosa, “Evaluation of anti-arthitic potential of the methanolic extract of the aerial parts of Costus speciosus,” Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, vol. 3, pp. 204–208, 2012.
- J. H. Bavarva and A. V. R. L. Narasimhacharya, “Antihyperglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of Costus speciosus in alloxan induced diabetic rats,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 620–626, 2008.
- M.-J. Liu, Z. Wang, Y. Ju, R. N.-S. Wong, and Q.-Y. Wu, “Diosgenin induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human leukemia K562 cells with the disruption of Ca2+ homeostasis,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 79–90, 2005.
- S. Anuchapreeda, S. Tima, C. Duangrat, and P. Limtrakul, “Effect of pure curcumin, demethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcumin on WT1 gene expression in leukemic cell lines,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 585–594, 2008.
- A. A. Baskar, K. S. Al Numair, M. A. Alsaif, and S. Ignacimuthu, “In vitro antioxidant and antiproliferative potential of medicinal plants used in traditional Indian medicine to treat cancer,” Redox Report, vol. 17, pp. 145–156, 2012.
- D. Stagos, G. D. Amougias, A. Matakos, A. Spyrou, A. M. Tsatsakis, and D. Kouretas, “Chemoprevention of liver cancer by plant polyphenols,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 2155–2170, 2012.
- P. Karna, S. R. Gundala, M. V. Gupta et al., “Polyphenol-rich sweet potato greens extract inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in prostate cancer cells in vitro and in vivo,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1872–1880, 2011.
- K. Sak, “Chemotherapy and dietary phytochemical agents,” Chemotherapy Research and Practice, vol. 2012, Article ID 282570, 11 pages, 2012.
- S. Srivastava, P. Singh, K. K. Jha, G. Mishra, S. Srivastava, and R. L. Khosa, “Anthelmintic activity of aerial parts of Costus speciosus,” International Journal of Green Pharmacy, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 325–328, 2011.
- I. Paur, M. H. Carlsen, B. L. Halvorsen, and R. Blomhoff, “Chapter 2. Antioxidants in herbs and spices: roles in oxidative stress and redox signaling,” in Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects, I. F. F. Benzie and S. Wachtel-Galor, Eds., CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2011.
- G. Deep, M. Dhiman, A. R. Rao, and R. K. Kale, “Chemopreventive potential of Triphala (a composite Indian rug) on benzo(a)pyrene induced forestomach tumorigenesis in murine tumor model system,” Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 555–563, 2005.
- M. A. Vijayalakshmi and N. C. Sarada, “Screening of Costus speciosus extracts for antioxidant activity,” Fitoterapia, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 197–198, 2008.
- B. Dasgupta and V. B. Pandey, “A new indian source of diosgenin (Costus speciosus),” Experientia, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 475–476, 1970.
- D. S. Kim, B. K. Jeon, Y. E. Lee, W. H. Woo, and Y. J. Mun, “Diosgenin induces apoptosis in HepG2 cells though generation of reactive Oxygen species and mitochondrial pathway,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 981675, 8 pages, 2012.