- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 682092, 7 pages
Microbleeds in Late-Life Depression: Comparison of Early- and Late-Onset Depression
1Department of Neurology, Shanghai Tenth People’s Hospital of Tongji University, Middle Yanchang Road No. 301, Zhabei District, Shanghai 200072, China
2Yiwu Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Zhejiang, China
3Department of Radiology, Shanghai Tenth People’s Hospital of Tongji University, Shanghai, China
Received 24 September 2013; Revised 21 January 2014; Accepted 21 January 2014; Published 26 February 2014
Academic Editor: Yoshito Tsushima
Copyright © 2014 Chao Feng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. D. Bukh, C. Bock, M. Vinberg, U. Gether, and L. V. Kessing, “Differences between early and late onset adult depression,” Clinical Practice & Epidemiology in Mental Health, vol. 7, pp. 140–147, 2011.
- N. C. Korten, H. C. Comijs, F. Lamers, and B. W. Penninx, “Early and late onset depression in young and middle aged adults: differential symptomatology, characteristics and risk factors?” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 138, no. 3, pp. 259–267, 2012.
- C. Delaloye, G. Moy, F. de Bilbao et al., “Neuroanatomical and neuropsychological features of elderly euthymic depressed patients with early- and late-onset,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 299, no. 1-2, pp. 19–23, 2010.
- A. Xekardaki, M. Santos, P. Hof, E. Kovari, C. Bouras, and P. Giannakopoulos, “Neuropathological substrates and structural changes in late-life depression: the impact of vascular burden,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 453–464, 2012.
- T. Fujikawa, S. Yamawaki, and Y. Touhouda, “Incidence of silent cerebral infarction in patients with major depression,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1631–1634, 1993.
- T. Murata, H. Kimura, M. Omori et al., “MRI white matter hyperintensities, 1H-MR spectroscopy and cognitive function in geriatric depression: a comparison of early- and late-onset cases,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1129–1135, 2001.
- G. S. Alexopoulos, M. L. Bruce, D. Silbersweig, B. Kalayam, and E. Stern, “Vascular depression: a new view of late-onset depression,” Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 68–80, 1999.
- J. R. Sneed and M. E. Culang-Reinlieb, “The vascular depression hypothesis: an update,” American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 99–103, 2011.
- C. Moran, T. G. Phan, and V. K. Srikanth, “Cerebral small vessel disease: a review of clinical, radiological, and histopathological phenotypes,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 36–46, 2012.
- W. K. Tang, Y. K. Chen, J. Y. Lu et al., “Cerebral microbleeds and depression in lacunar stroke,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 2443–2446, 2011.
- W. K. Tang, Y. K. Chen, J. Y. Lu et al., “Cerebral microbleeds and symptom severity of post-stroke depression: a magnetic resonance imaging study,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 129, no. 1–3, pp. 354–358, 2011.
- S.-H. Koh, C. Y. Park, M. K. Kim et al., “Microbleeds and free active MMP-9 are independent risk factors for neurological deterioration in acute lacunar stroke,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 158–164, 2011.
- D. Lai, H. Tong, Q. Zeng, and W. Xu, “The factor structure of a Chinese Geriatric Depression Scale-SF: use with alone elderly Chinese in Shanghai, China,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 503–510, 2010.
- E. S. Paykel, B. A. Prusoff, and E. H. Uhlenhuth, “Scaling of life events,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 340–347, 1971.
- J. E. Lubben, “Assessing social networks among elderly populations,” Family & Community Health, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 42–52, 1988.
- M. M. F. Poels, M. A. Ikram, A. van der Lugt et al., “Incidence of cerebral microbleeds in the general population: the Rotterdam scan study,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 656–661, 2011.
- M. M. F. Poels, M. A. Ikram, A. van der Lugt et al., “Cerebral microbleeds are associated with worse cognitive function: the Rotterdam scan study,” Neurology, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 326–333, 2012.
- Y. Y. Xiong and V. Mok, “Age-related white matter changes,” Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 617927, 13 pages, 2011.
- F. Fazekas, J. B. Chawluk, A. Alavi, H. I. Hurtig, and R. A. Zimmerman, “MR signal abnormalities at 1.5 T in Alzheimer's dementia and normal aging,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 351–356, 1987.
- S. E. Vermeer, W. T. Longstreth Jr., and P. J. Koudstaal, “Silent brain infarcts: a systematic review,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 611–619, 2007.
- I. Loubinoux, G. Kronenberg, M. Endres et al., “Post-stroke depression: mechanisms, translation and therapy,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1961–1969, 2012.
- T. Zhang, X. Jing, X. Zhao et al., “A prospective cohort study of lesion location and its relation to post-stroke depression among Chinese patients,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 136, no. 1-2, pp. e83–e87, 2012.
- T. Beblo, C.-W. Wallesch, and M. Herrmann, “The crucial role of frontostriatal circuits for depressive disorders in the postacute stage after stroke,” Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology and Behavioral Neurology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 236–246, 1999.
- M. Santos, E. Kövari, G. Gold et al., “The neuroanatomical model of post-stroke depression: towards a change of focus?” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 283, no. 1-2, pp. 158–162, 2009.
- A. Charidimou, Q. Gang, and D. J. Werring, “Sporadic cerebral amyloid angiopathy revisited: recent insights into pathophysiology and clinical spectrum,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 124–137, 2012.
- L. Pantoni, “Cerebral small vessel disease: from pathogenesis and clinical characteristics to therapeutic challenges,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 689–701, 2010.
- G. S. Dybedal, L. Tanum, K. Sundet, T. L. Gaarden, and T. M. Bjolseth, “Neuropsychological functioning in late-life depression,” Frontiers in Psychology, vol. 4, article 381, 2013.
- S. L. Weisenbach, L. A. Boore, and H. C. Kales, “Depression and cognitive impairment in older adults,” Current Psychiatry Reports, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 280–288, 2012.
- C. H. Wilkins, J. Mathews, and Y. I. Sheline, “Late life depression with cognitive impairment: evaluation and treatment,” Clinical Interventions in Aging, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2009.
- Y.-K. Tsui, F. Y. Tsai, A. N. Hasso, F. Greensite, and B. V. Nguyen, “Susceptibility-weighted imaging for differential diagnosis of cerebral vascular pathology: a pictorial review,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 287, no. 1-2, pp. 7–16, 2009.