- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 689426, 4 pages
Statins Do Not Influence Long-Term Rituximab Clinical Efficiency in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients
1Department of Rheumatology, “Sfanta Maria” Hospital, Blvd IonMihalache No. 37-39, 011172 Bucharest, Romania
2“Carol Davila” University of Medicine, Bucharest, Romania
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013; Published 8 January 2014
Academic Editor: Shigeru Kotake
Copyright © 2014 Diana Mazilu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. L. Peters, D. P. M. Symmons, D. McCarey et al., “EULAR evidence-based recommendations for cardiovascular risk management in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and other forms of inflammatory arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 325–331, 2010.
- H. Maradit-Kremers, P. J. Nicola, C. S. Crowson, K. V. Ballman, and S. E. Gabriel, “Cardiovascular death in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 722–732, 2005.
- M. A. Gonzalez-Gay, C. Gonzalez-Juanatey, M. J. Lopez-Diaz et al., “HLA-DRB1 and persistent chronic inflammation contribute to cardiovascular events and cardiovascular mortality in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2007.
- N. J. Goodson, N. J. Wiles, M. Lunt, E. M. Barrett, A. J. Silman, and D. P. M. Symmons, “Mortality in early inflammatory polyarthritis: cardiovascular mortality is increased in seropositive patients,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 2010–2019, 2002.
- N. J. Goodson, D. P. M. Symmons, D. G. I. Scott, D. Bunn, M. Lunt, and A. J. Silman, “Baseline levels of C-reactive protein and prediction of death from cardiovascular disease in patients with inflammatory polyarthritis: a ten-year followup study of a primary care-based inception cohort,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 2293–2299, 2005.
- J. S. Smolen, R. Landewé, F. C. Breedveld, et al., “EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis with synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 964–975, 2010.
- D. E. Furst, E. C. Keystone, A. K. So, et al., “Updated consensus statement on biological agents for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, 2012,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 72, supplement 2, pp. ii2–ii34, 2013.
- M. Winiarska, J. Bil, E. Wilczek et al., “Statins impair antitumor effects of rituximab by inducing conformational changes of CD20,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, article e64, pp. 0502–0517, 2008.
- J. P. Deans, H. Li, and M. J. Polyak, “CD20-mediated apoptosis: signalling through lipid rafts,” Immunology, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 176–182, 2002.
- E. Janas, R. Priest, J. I. Wilde, J. H. White, and R. Malhotra, “Rituxan (anti-CD20 antibody)-induced translocation of CD20 into lipid rafts is crucial for calcium influx and apoptosis,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 139, no. 3, pp. 439–446, 2005.
- E. E. A. Arts, T. L. Jansen, A. den Broeder et al., “Statins inhibit the antirheumatic effects of rituximab in rheumatoid arthritis: results from the Dutch Rheumatoid Arthritis Monitoring (DREAM) registry,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 877–878, 2011.
- S. Das, M. F. Matilla, S. Dass et al., “Statins do not influence clinical response and B cell depletion after rituximab treatment in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 463–464, 2013.
- C. S. Crowson and S. E. Gabriel, “Towards improving cardiovascular risk management in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: the need for accurate risk assessment,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 719–721, 2011.