- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 695713, 4 pages
Microscopic Varicocelectomy Significantly Decreases the Sperm DNA Fragmentation Index in Patients with Infertility
Department of Urology, Istanbul School of Medicine, University of Istanbul, 34365 Istanbul, Turkey
Received 19 October 2013; Revised 27 January 2014; Accepted 27 January 2014; Published 10 March 2014
Academic Editor: Pradeep Tyagi
Copyright © 2014 Teoman Cem Kadioglu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. S. Choi and S. W. Kim, “Current issues in varicocele management: a review,” The World Journal of Men's Health, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 2013.
- V. Ficarra, A. Crestani, G. Novara, and V. Mirone, “Varicocele repair for infertility: what is the evidence?” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 489–494, 2012.
- K. Shiraishi, H. Matsuyama, and H. Takihara, “Pathophysiology of varicocele in male infertility in the era of assisted reproductive technology,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 538–550, 2012.
- S. Andò, C. Giacchetto, G. Colpi et al., “Physiopathologic aspects of Leydig cell function in varicocele patients,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 163–170, 1984.
- A. Dabaja, M. Wosnitzer, and M. Goldstein, “Varicocele and hypogonadism,” Current Urology Reports, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 309–314, 2013.
- A. Agarwal, A. Hamada, and S. C. Esteves, “Insight into oxidative stress in varicocele-associated male infertility: part 1,” Nature Reviews Urology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 678–690, 2012.
- A. Zini and G. Dohle, “Are varicoceles associated with increased deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation?” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 1283–1287, 2011.
- G. Peluso, A. Palmieri, P. P. Cozza et al., “The study of spermatic DNA fragmentation and sperm motility in infertile subjects,” Archivio Italiano di Urologia, Andrologia, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 8–13, 2013.
- D. Sakkas and J. G. Alvarez, “Sperm DNA fragmentation: mechanisms of origin, impact on reproductive outcome, and analysis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1027–1036, 2010.
- L. Simon, G. Brunborg, M. Stevenson, D. Lutton, J. McManus, and S. E. M. Lewis, “Clinical significance of sperm DNA damage in assisted reproduction outcome,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1594–1608, 2010.
- B. E. Speyer, A. R. Pizzey, M. Ranieri, R. Joshi, J. D. A. Delhanty, and P. Serhal, “Fall in implantation rates following ICSI with sperm with high DNA fragmentation,” Human Reproduction, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1609–1618, 2010.
- F. Li, K. Yamaguchi, K. Okada et al., “Significant improvement of sperm DNA quality after microsurgical repair of varicocele,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 270–274, 2010.
- S. Cayan, T. C. Kadioglu, A. Tefekli, A. Kadioglu, and S. Tellaloglu, “Comparison of results and complications of high ligation surgery and microsurgical high inguinal varicocelectomy in the treatment of varicocele,” Urology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 750–754, 2000.
- T. G. Cooper, E. Noonan, S. von Eckardstein et al., “World Health Organization reference values for human semen characteristics,” Human Reproduction Update, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 231–245, 2010.
- M. Smit, J. C. Romijn, M. F. Wildhagen, J. L. M. Veldhoven, R. F. A. Weber, and G. R. Dohle, “Decreased sperm DNA fragmentation after surgical varicocelectomy is associated with increased pregnancy rate,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 270–274, 2010.
- M. Esbert, A. Pacheco, F. Vidal et al., “Impact of sperm DNA fragmentation on the outcome of IVF with own or donated oocytes,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 704–710, 2011.
- R. A. Saleh, A. Agarwal, R. K. Sharma, T. M. Said, S. C. Sikka, and A. J. Thomas Jr., “Evaluation of nuclear DNA damage in spermatozoa from infertile men with varicocele,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 1431–1436, 2003.
- A. Zini, R. Azhar, A. Baazeem, and M. S. Gabriel, “Effect of microsurgical varicocelectomy on human sperm chromatin and DNA integrity: a prospective trial,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 14–19, 2011.
- Y. J. Wang, R. Q. Zhang, Y. J. Lin, R. G. Zhang, and W. L. Zhang, “Relationship between varicocele and sperm DNA damage and the effect of varicocele repair: a meta-analysis,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 307–314, 2012.
- K. Baker, J. McGill, R. Sharma, A. Agarwal, and E. Sabanegh Jr., “Pregnancy after varicocelectomy: impact of postoperative motility and DFI,” Urology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 760–766, 2013.