- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 761312, 9 pages
Magnetic Resonance-Guided Laser Induced Thermal Therapy for Glioblastoma Multiforme: A Review
1Biomedical Engineering Department, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
2University of Tennessee Space Institute, Tullahoma, TN 37388, USA
Received 13 April 2013; Revised 21 October 2013; Accepted 21 October 2013; Published 16 January 2014
Academic Editor: Beric Henderson
Copyright © 2014 Sarah E. Norred and Jacqueline Anne Johnson. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Glioblastoma Multiforme, 2013, http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Glioblastoma%20Multiforme.aspx.
- Brain and Spinal Cord Tumors in Adults, 2012, http://www.cancer.org/cancer/braincnstumorsinadults/detailedguide/index.
- H.-J. Schwarzmaier, F. Eickmeyer, W. von Tempelhoff et al., “MR-guided laser irradiation of recurrent glioblastomas,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 799–803, 2005.
- H. J. Schwarzmaier, F. Eickmeyer, W. von Tempelhoff et al., “MR-guided laser-induced interstitial thermotherapy of recurrent glioblastoma multiforme: preliminary results in 16 patients,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 208–215, 2006.
- H. J. Schwarzmaier, I. V. Yaroslavsky, A. N. Yaroslavsky, V. Fiedler, F. Ulrich, and T. Kahn, “Treatment planning for MRI-guided laser-induced interstitial thermotherapy of brain tumors—the role of blood perfusion,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 121–127, 1998.
- A. Carpentier, R. J. McNichols, R. J. Stafford et al., “Real-time magnetic resonance-guided laser thermal therapy for focal metastatic brain tumors,” Neurosurgery, vol. 63, supplement 1, no. 1, pp. ONS21–ONS29, 2008.
- A. Carpentier, R. J. McNichols, R. J. Stafford et al., “Laser thermal therapy: real-time MRI-guided and computer-controlled procedures for metastatic brain tumors,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 943–950, 2011.
- A. Carpentier, D. Chauvet, V. Reina et al., “MR-guided laser-induced thermal therapy (LITT) for recurrent glioblastomas,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 361–368, 2012.
- P. R. Jethwa, J. C. Barrese, A. Gowda, A. Shetty, and S. F. Danish, “Magnetic resonance thermometry-guided laser-induced thermal therapy for intracranial neoplasms: initial experience,” Neurosurgery, vol. 71, supplement 1, pp. 133–145, 2012.
- N. Galldiks, W. von Tempelhoff, D. Kahraman et al., “11C-methionine positron emission tomographic imaging of biologic activity of a recurrent glioblastoma treated with stereotaxy-guided laser-induced interstitial thermotherapy,” Molecular Imaging, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 1–7, 2012.
- T. Kahn, M. Bettag, F. Ulrich et al., “MRI-guided laser-induced interstitial thermotherapy of cerebral neoplasms,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 519–532, 1994.
- S. Clasen and P. L. Pereira, “Magnetic resonance guidance for radiofrequency ablation of liver tumors,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 421–433, 2008.
- T. J. Vogl, N. N. N. Naguib, T. Lehnert, and N.-E. A. Nour-Eldin, “Radiofrequency, microwave and laser ablation of pulmonary neoplasms: clinical studies and technical considerations—review article,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 346–357, 2011.
- F. Streitparth, U. Teichgräber, T. Walter, K. D. Schaser, and B. Gebauer, “Recurrent osteoid osteoma: interstitial laser ablation under magnetic resonance imaging guidance,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1131–1137, 2010.
- D. A. Woodrum, L. A. Mynderse, K. R. Gorny, K. K. Amrami, R. J. McNichols, and M. R. Callstrom, “3.0T MR-guided laser ablation of a prostate cancer recurrence in the postsurgical prostate bed,” Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 929–934, 2011.
- R. J. Stafford, D. Fuentes, A. A. Elliott, J. S. Weinberg, and K. Ahrar, “Laser-induced thermal therapy for tumor ablation,” Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 79–100, 2010.
- H. J. Schwarzmaier, F. Eickmeyer, V. U. Fiedler, and F. Ulrich, “Basic principles of laser induced interstitial thermotherapy in brain tumors,” Medical Laser Application, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 147–158, 2002.
- A. N. Yaroslavsky, P. C. Schulze, I. V. Yaroslavsky, R. Schober, F. Ulrich, and H.-J. Schwarzmaier, “Optical properties of selected native and coagulated human brain tissues in vitro in the visible and near infrared spectral range,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 2059–2073, 2002.
- A. Sloan, M. Ahluwalia, J. Valerio-Pascua et al., “Results of the neuroblate system first-in-humans phase I clinical trial for recurrent glioblastoma clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 1202–1219, 2013.
- B. Westermark, “Glioblastoma—a moving target,” Upsala Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 251–256, 2012.
- C. H. Wang, S. H. Chiou, C. P. Chou, Y. C. Chen, Y. J. Huang, and C. A. Peng, “Photothermolysis of glioblastoma stem-like cells targeted by carbon nanotubes conjugated with CD133 monoclonal antibody,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 69–79, 2011.
- Y. Matsumura and H. Maeda, “A new concept for macromolecular therapeutics in cancer chemotherapy: mechanism of tumoritropic accumulation of proteins and the antitumor agent smancs,” Cancer Research, vol. 46, no. 12, part 1, pp. 6387–6392, 1986.
- J. A. Schwartz, A. M. Shetty, R. E. Price et al., “Feasibility study of particle-assisted laser ablation of brain tumors in orthotopic canine model,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 1659–1667, 2009.
- J. A. Schwartz, R. E. Price, K. L. Gill-Sharp et al., “Selective nanoparticle-directed ablation of the canine prostate,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 213–220, 2011.
- T. Fernandez Cabada, C. S. de Pablo, A. M. Serrano, P. Guerrero Fdel, J. J. Olmedo, and M. R. Gomez, “Induction of cell death in a glioblastoma line by hyperthermic therapy based on gold nanorods,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 7, pp. 1511–1523, 2012.
- J. T. Robinson, S. M. Tabakman, Y. Liang et al., “Ultrasmall reduced graphene oxide with high near-infrared absorbance for photothermal therapy,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 133, no. 17, pp. 6825–6831, 2011.
- C. M. Macneill, R. C. Coffin, D. L. Carroll, and N. H. Levi-Polyachenko, “Low band gap donor-acceptor conjugated polymer nanoparticles and their NIR-mediated thermal ablation of cancer cells,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 28–34, 2012.