- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 768254, 10 pages
Characterization of Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube-Reinforced Hydroxyapatite Composites Consolidated by Spark Plasma Sintering
1School of Materials Science and Engineering, Yeungnam University, Gyeongbuk 712-749, Republic of Korea
2Department of Advanced Materials Engineering, Dong-A University, Busan 604-714, Republic of Korea
3Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702-701, Republic of Korea
4Advanced Ceramics Group, National Institute for Materials Science, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0047, Japan
Received 16 December 2013; Accepted 18 January 2014; Published 4 March 2014
Academic Editor: Oh Hyeong Kwon
Copyright © 2014 Duk-Yeon Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. P. Orlovskii, V. S. Komlev, and S. M. Barinov, “Hydroxyapatite and hydroxyapatite-based ceramics,” Inorganic Materials, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 973–984, 2002.
- G. Goller, H. Demirkiran, F. N. Oktar, and E. Demirkesen, “Processing and characterization of bioglass reinforced hydroxyapatite composites,” Ceramics International, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 721–724, 2003.
- M. Wang, R. Joseph, and W. Bonfield, “Hydroxyapatite-polyethylene composites for bone substitution: effects of ceramic particle size and morphology,” Biomaterials, vol. 19, no. 24, pp. 2357–2366, 1998.
- D. Bakos, M. Soldan, and I. Hernandez-Fuentes, “Hydroxyapatite-collagen-hyaluronic acid composite,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 191–195, 1999.
- F. N. Oktar and G. Goller, “Sintering effects on mechanical properties of glass-reinforced hydroxyapatite composites,” Ceramics International, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 617–621, 2002.
- A. Peigney, “Composite materials: tougher ceramics with nanotubes,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 15–16, 2003.
- G.-D. Zhan, J. D. Kuntz, J. Wan, and A. K. Mukherjee, “Single-wall carbon nanotubes as attractive toughening agents in alumina-based nanocomposites,” Nature Materials, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 38–42, 2003.
- P. Calvert, “A recipe for strength,” Nature, vol. 399, no. 6733, pp. 210–211, 1999.
- A. O. Lobo, H. Zanin, I. A. W. B. Siqueira, N. C. S. Leite, F. R. Marciano, and E. J. Corat, “Effect of ultrasound irradiation on the production of HAp/MWCNT nanocomposites,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 33, pp. 4305–4312, 2013.
- D. Lahiri, A. P. Benaduce, F. Rouzaud et al., “Wear behavior and in vitro cytotoxicity of wear debris generated from hydroxyapatite-carbon nanotube composite coating,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2011.
- T. Noguchi, A. Magario, S. Fukazawa, S. Shimizu, J. Beppu, and M. Seki, “Carbon nanotube/aluminium composites with uniform dispersion,” Materials Transactions, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 602–604, 2004.
- J. Sun and L. Gao, “Development of a dispersion process for carbon nanotubes in ceramic matrix by heterocoagulation,” Carbon, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1063–1068, 2003.
- P.-C. Ma, N. A. Siddiqui, G. Marom, and J.-K. Kim, “Dispersion and functionalization of carbon nanotubes for polymer-based nanocomposites: a review,” Composites A, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1345–1367, 2010.
- T. K. Chaki and P. E. Wang, “Densification and strengthening of silver-reinforced hydroxyapatite-matrix composite prepared by sintering,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 533–542, 1994.
- J. R. Groza and A. Zavaliangos, “Sintering activation by external electrical field,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. 171–177, 2000.
- E. Cenni, D. Granchi, C. R. Arciola et al., “Adhesive protein expression on endothelial cells after contact in vitro with polyethylene terephthalate coated with pyrolytic carbon,” Biomaterials, vol. 16, no. 16, pp. 1223–1227, 1995.
- M. Allen, B. Myer, and N. Rushton, “In vitro and in vivo investigations into the biocompatibility of diamond-like carbon (DLC) coatings for orthopedic applications,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 319–328, 2001.
- T. Gabay, E. Jakobs, E. Ben-Jacob, and Y. Hanein, “Engineered self-organization of neural networks using carbon nanotube clusters,” Physica A, vol. 350, no. 2–4, pp. 611–621, 2005.
- K. M. Kamruzzaman Selim, Z. C. Xing, H. Guo, and I.-K. Kang, “Immobilization of lactobionic acid on the surface of cadmium sulfide nanoparticles and their interaction with hepatocytes,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1945–1953, 2009.
- C. F. Deng, D. Z. Wang, X. X. Zhang, and A. B. Li, “Processing and properties of carbon nanotubes reinforced aluminum composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 444, no. 1-2, pp. 138–145, 2007.
- D. Lahiri, V. Singh, A. K. Keshri, S. Seal, and A. Agarwal, “Carbon nanotube toughened hydroxyapatite by spark plasma sintering: microstructural evolution and multiscale tribological properties,” Carbon, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3103–3120, 2010.
- R. Khare and S. Bose, “Carbon nanotube based composites—a review,” Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 31–46, 2005.
- D. Lahiri, S. Ghosh, and A. Agarwal, “Carbon nanotube reinforced hydroxyapatite composite for orthopedic application: a review,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 32, pp. 1727–1758, 2012.
- H. S. Guder, E. Sahin, O. Sahin, H. Gocmez, and C. Duran, “Vickers and knoop indentation microhardness study of β-SiAlON ceramic,” Acta Physica Polonica A, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 1026–1033, 2011.
- B. R. Lawn and E. R. Fuller, “Equilibrium penny-like cracks in indentation fracture,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 2016–2024, 1975.
- P. E. Wang and T. K. Chaki, “Sintering behaviour and mechanical properties of hydroxyapatite and dicalcium phosphate,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 150–158, 1993.