- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 787680, 14 pages
Identification and Characterization of the Grape WRKY Family
Forestry Department, Agricultural University of Henan Province, Zhengzhou, Henan 450002, China
Received 15 November 2013; Revised 16 January 2014; Accepted 21 January 2014; Published 27 April 2014
Academic Editor: Anton M. Jetten
Copyright © 2014 Ying Zhang and Jian can Feng. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Tao, Z. Xie, W. Chen et al., “Quantitative nature of Arabidopsis responses during compatible and incompatible interactions with the bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas syringae,” The Plant Cell, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 317–330, 2003.
- Z. Nimchuk, T. Eulgem, B. F. Holt III, and J. L. Dangl, “Recognition and response in the plant immune system,” Annual Review of Genetics, vol. 37, pp. 579–609, 2003.
- T. Eulgem and I. E. Somssich, “Networks of WRKY transcription factors in defense signaling,” Current Opinion in Plant Biology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 366–371, 2007.
- B. Ulker and I. E. Somssich, “WRKY transcription factors: from DNA binding towards biological function,” Current Opinion in Plant Biology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 491–498, 2004.
- Y. Zhang and L. Wang, “The WRKY transcription factor superfamily: its origin in eukaryotes and expansion in plants,” BMC Evolutionary Biology, vol. 5, article 1, 2005.
- P. J. Rushton, J. T. Torres, M. Parniske, P. Wernert, K. Hahlbrock, and I. E. Somssich, “Interaction of elicitor-induced DNA-binding proteins with elicitor response elements in the promoters of parsley PR1 genes,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 15, no. 20, pp. 5690–5700, 1996.
- T. Eulgem, P. J. Rushton, S. Robatzek, and I. E. Somssich, “The WRKY superfamily of plant transcription factors,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 199–206, 2000.
- K. Ali, F. Maltese, E. Zyprian, M. Rex, Y. H. Choi, and R. Verpoorte, “NMR metabolic fingerprinting based identification of grapevine metabolites associated with downy mildew resistance,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 57, no. 20, pp. 9599–9606, 2009.
- P. J. Rushton, I. E. Somssich, P. Ringler, and Q. J. Shen, “WRKY transcription factors,” Trends in Plant Science, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 247–258, 2010.
- C. H. Chen and Z. Chen, “Isolation and characterization of two pathogen- and salicylic acid-induced genes encoding WRKY DNA-binding proteins from tobacco,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 387–396, 2000.
- L. Du and Z. Chen, “Identification of genes encoding receptor-like protein kinases as possible targets of pathogen- and salicylic acid-induced WRKY DNA-binding proteins in Arabidopsis,” The Plant Journal, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 837–847, 2000.
- A. C. Vlot, D. A. Dempsey, and D. F. Klessig, “Salicylic acid, a multifaceted hormone to combat disease,” Annual Review of Phytopathology, vol. 47, pp. 177–206, 2009.
- W. E. Durrant and X. Dong, “Systemic acquired resistance,” Annual Review of Phytopathology, vol. 42, pp. 185–209, 2004.
- S. Uknes, B. Mauch-Mani, M. Moyer et al., “Acquired resistance in Arabidopsis,” The Plant Cell, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 645–656, 1992.
- J. Li, G. Brader, and E. T. Palva, “The WRKY70 transcription factor: a node of convergence for jasmonate-mediated and salicylate-mediated signals in plant defense,” The Plant Cell, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 319–331, 2004.
- D. Yu, C. Chen, and Z. Chen, “Evidence for an important role of WRKY DNA binding proteins in the regulation of NPR1 gene expression,” The Plant Cell, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1527–1540, 2001.
- Z.-J. Guo, Y. Kan, X.-J. Chen, D.-B. Li, and D.-W. Wang, “Characterization of a rice WRKY gene whose expression is induced upon pathogen attack and mechanical wounding,” Acta Botanica Sinica, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 955–964, 2004.
- Y. Liu, M. Schiff, and S. P. Kumar, “Involvement of MEK1 MAPKK, NTF6 MAPK, WRKY/MYB transcription factors, COI1 and CTR1 in N-mediated resistance to tobacco mosaic virus,” The Plant Journal, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 800–809, 2004.
- R. S. Cormack, T. Eulgem, P. J. Rushton, P. Kochner, K. Hahlbrock, and I. E. Somssich, “Leucine zipper-containing WRKY proteins widen the spectrum of immediate early elicitor-induced WRKY transcription factors in parsley,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1576, no. 1-2, pp. 92–100, 2002.
- K. L. Wu, Z. J. Guo, H. H. Wang, and J. Li, “The WRKY family of transcription factors in rice and Arabidopsis and their origins,” DNA Research, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 9–26, 2005.
- H. He, Q. Dong, Y. Shao et al., “Genome-wide survey and characterization of the WRKY gene family in Populus trichocarpa,” Plant Cell Reports, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1199–1217, 2012.
- R. B. Ferreira, S. Monteiro, M. A. Picxarra-Pereira, and A. R. Teixeira, “Engineering grapevine for increased resistance to fungal pathogens without compromising wine stability,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 168–173, 2004.
- Y. Wang and H. Puchao, “Identification method of resistance of Vitis evaluated to grape anthracnose and grape white rot,” Journal of Northwest Sci-Tech University of Agriculture and Forestry, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 17–21, 1988.
- Y. Wang and H. Puchao, “Study of white rot disease resistant mechanism in Chinese Vitis wild species,” Northern Horticulture, vol. 1, pp. 1–5, 1988.
- M. Jovanovic and M. Sidor, “Some characteristics of the development of Phomopsis viticola epiphytes, carrier of white rot, on the variety Italian Riesling,” Savremena Poljoprivreda, vol. 35, no. 9-10, pp. 463–467, 1987.
- O. Jaillon, J.-M. Aury, B. Noel et al., “The grapevine genome sequence suggests ancestral hexaploidization in major angiosperm phyla,” Nature, vol. 449, no. 7161, pp. 463–467, 2007.
- R. Velasco, A. Zharkikh, M. Troggio et al., “A high quality draft consensus sequence of the genome of a heterozygous grapevine variety,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 12, article e1326, 2007.
- J. D. Thompson, T. J. Gibson, F. Plewniak, F. Jeanmougin, and D. G. Higgins, “The CLUSTAL_X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 4876–4882, 1997.
- R. Ramamoorthy, S.-Y. Jiang, N. Kumar, P. N. Venkatesh, and S. Ramachandran, “A comprehensive transcriptional profiling of the WRKY gene family in rice under various abiotic and phytohormone treatments,” Plant & Cell Physiology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 865–879, 2008.
- B. Ulker, M. S. Mukhtar, and I. E. Somssich, “The WRKY70 transcription factor of Arabidopsis influences both the plant senescence and defense signaling pathways,” Planta, vol. 226, no. 1, pp. 125–137, 2007.
- J. J. Zhang, Y. Wang, and X. P. Wang, “An improved method for rapidly extracting total RNA from Vitis,” Journal of Fruit Science, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 178–181, 2003.
- W. H. Landschulz, P. F. Johnson, and S. L. McKnight, “The leucine zipper: a hypothetical structure common to a new class of DNA binding proteins,” Science, vol. 240, no. 4860, pp. 1759–1764, 1988.
- Z. Xie, Z.-L. Zhang, X. Zou et al., “Annotations and functional analyses of the rice WRKY gene superfamily reveal positive and negative regulators of abscisic acid signaling in aleurone cells,” Plant Physiology, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 176–189, 2005.
- S. Robatzek and I. E. Somssich, “Targets of AtWRKY6 regulation during plant senescence and pathogen defense,” Genes & Development, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 1139–1149, 2002.
- E. M. McInerney, D. W. Rose, S. E. Flynn et al., “Determinants of coactivator LXXLL motif specificity in nuclear receptor transcriptional activation,” Genes & Development, vol. 12, no. 21, pp. 3357–3368, 1998.
- S. B. Tiwari, G. Hagen, and T. J. Guilfoyle, “Aux/IAA proteins contain a potent transcriptional repression domain,” The Plant Cell, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 533–543, 2004.
- H. Zheng, S. Lin, Q. Zhang, Y. Lei, L. Hou, and Z. Zhang, “Functional identification and regulation of the PtDrl02 gene promoter from triploid white poplar,” Plant Cell Reports, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 449–460, 2010.
- J. Glazebrook, “Genes controlling expression of defense responses in Arabidopsis,” Current Opinion in Plant Biology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 301–308, 2001.
- Q. Wang, M. Wang, X. Zhang, B. Hao, S. K. Kaushik, and Y. Pan, “WRKY gene family evolution in Arabidopsis thaliana,” Genetica, vol. 139, no. 8, pp. 973–983, 2011.
- H. Li, Y. Xu, Y. Xiao et al., “Expression and functional analysis of two genes encoding transcription factors, VpWRKY1 and VpWRKY2, isolated from Chinese wild Vitis pseudoreticulata,” Planta, vol. 232, no. 6, pp. 1325–1337, 2010.
- J. Dong, C. Chen, and Z. Chen, “Expression profiles of the Arabidopsis WRKY gene superfamily during plant defense response,” Plant Molecular Biology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 21–37, 2003.
- T. Eulgem, “Dissecting the WRKY web of plant defense regulators,” PLoS Pathogens, vol. 2, no. 11, article e126, 2006.