- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 852610, 10 pages
Calcium Phosphate Based Three-Dimensional Cold Plotted Bone Scaffolds for Critical Size Bone Defects
1Department of Dental Materials and Biomaterials Research, RWTH Aachen University Hospital, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University Medical Centre, P.O. Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
3AO Research Institute Davos, Clavadelerstrasse 8, 7270 Davos Platz, Switzerland
4Department of Ceramics and Refractory Materials, Institute of Mineral Engineering, RWTH Aachen University, Mauerstrasse 5, 52064 Aachen, Germany
Received 18 October 2013; Revised 13 January 2014; Accepted 13 January 2014; Published 26 February 2014
Academic Editor: Aaron W. James
Copyright © 2014 Christian J. D. Bergmann et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Arcos, I. Izquierdo-Barba, and M. Vallet-Regi, “Promising trends of bioceramics in the biomaterials field,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 447–455, 2009.
- M. C. von Doernberg, B. von Rechenberg, M. Bohner et al., “In vivo behavior of calcium phosphate scaffolds with four different pore sizes,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 30, pp. 5186–5198, 2006.
- S. K. Lan Levengood, S. J. Polak, M. B. Wheeler et al., “Multiscale osteointegration as a new paradigm for the design of calcium phosphate scaffolds for bone regeneration,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 3552–3563, 2010.
- K. A. Hing, B. Annaz, S. Saeed, P. A. Revell, and T. Buckland, “Microporosity enhances bioactivity of synthetic bone graft substitutes,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 467–475, 2005.
- K. Rezwan, Q. Z. Chen, J. J. Blaker, and A. R. Boccaccini, “Biodegradable and bioactive porous polymer/inorganic composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 18, pp. 3413–3431, 2006.
- J. Giannatsis and V. Dedoussis, “Additive fabrication technologies applied to medicine and health care: a review,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 40, no. 1-2, pp. 116–127, 2009.
- W. Y. Yeong, C. K. Chua, K. F. Leong, and M. Chandrasekaran, “Rapid prototyping in tissue engineering: challenges and potential,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 643–652, 2004.
- K. H. Tan, C. K. Chua, K. F. Leong et al., “Scaffold development using selective laser sintering of polyetheretherketone-hydroxyapatite biocomposite blends,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 18, pp. 3115–3123, 2003.
- U. Klammert, U. Gbureck, E. Vorndran, J. Rödiger, P. Meyer-Marcotty, and A. C. Kübler, “3D powder printed calcium phosphate implants for reconstruction of cranial and maxillofacial defects,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 565–570, 2010.
- J. E. Barralet, L. Grover, T. Gaunt, A. J. Wright, and I. R. Gibson, “Preparation of macroporous calcium phosphate cement tissue engineering scaffold,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 15, pp. 3063–3072, 2002.
- M. Bohner, “Calcium orthophosphates in medicine: from ceramics to calcium phosphate cements,” Injury, vol. 31, supplement 4, pp. D37–D47, 2000.
- U. Deisinger, “Generating porous ceramic scaffolds: processing and properties,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 441, pp. 155–179, 2010.
- R. Detsch, F. Uhl, U. Deisinger, and G. Ziegler, “3D-Cultivation of bone marrow stromal cells on hydroxyapatite scaffolds fabricated by dispense-plotting and negative mould technique,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1491–1496, 2008.
- S. J. Hollister, “Porous scaffold design for tissue engineering,” Nature Materials, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 518–524, 2005.
- D. W. Hutmacher, M. Sittinger, and M. V. Risbud, “Scaffold-based tissue engineering: rationale for computer-aided design and solid free-form fabrication systems,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 354–362, 2004.
- K. C. Ang, K. F. Leong, C. K. Chua, and M. Chandrasekaran, “Investigation of the mechanical properties and porosity relationships in fused deposition modelling-fabricated porous structures,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 100–105, 2006.
- M. H. Too, K. F. Leong, C. K. Chua et al., “Investigation of 3D non-random porous structures by fused deposition modelling,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 217–223, 2002.
- C. T. Wu, W. Fan, Y. H. Zhou, et al., “3D-printing of highly uniform CaSiO3 ceramic scaffolds: preparation, characterization and in vivo osteogenesis,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 24, pp. 12288–12295, 2012.
- M. Bohner and G. Baroud, “Injectability of calcium phosphate pastes,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 13, pp. 1553–1563, 2005.
- G. Lewis, “Injectable bone cements for use in vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty: state-of-the-art review,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 456–468, 2006.
- X. Wang, J. Ye, and H. Wang, “Effects of additives on the rheological properties and injectability of a calcium phosphate bone substitute material,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 259–264, 2006.
- G. Lewis, “Viscoelastic properties of injectable bone cements for orthopaedic applications: state-of-the-art review,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 171–191, 2011.
- A. Beck, D. Nehrbass, M. J. Stoddart, et al., “The use of Reamer Irrigator Aspirator (RIA) autograft harvest in the treatment of critical-sized iliac wing defects in sheep: investigation of dexamethasone and beta-tricalcium phosphate augmentation,” Bone, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 554–565, 2013.
- M. L. Anderson, W. J. Dhert, J. D. de Bruijn et al., “Critical size defect in the goat's os ilium a model to evaluate bone grafts and substitutes,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 364, pp. 231–239, 1999.
- T. Atsumi, Y. Miwa, K. Kimata, and Y. Ikawa, “A chondrogenic cell line derived from a differentiating culture of AT805 teratocarcinoma cells,” Cell Differentiation and Development, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 109–116, 1990.
- T. Saito, A. Fukai, A. Mabuchi, et al., “Transcriptional regulation of endochondral ossification by HIF-2alpha during skeletal growth and osteoarthritis development,” Nature Medicine, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 678–686, 2010.
- T. J. Welting, M. M. Caron, P. J. Emans et al., “Inhibition of cyclooxygenase-2 impacts chondrocyte hypertrophic differentiation during endochondral ossification,” European cells and Materials, vol. 22, pp. 420–437, 2011.
- G. Kim, S. Ahn, H. Yoon, Y. Kim, and W. Chun, “A cryogenic direct-plotting system for fabrication of 3D collagen scaffolds for tissue engineering,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 46, pp. 8817–8823, 2009.
- Z. Xiong, Y. Yan, S. Wang, R. Zhang, and C. Zhang, “Fabrication of porous scaffolds for bone tissue engineering via low-temperature deposition,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 771–776, 2002.
- H. Y. Yang, X. P. Chi, S. Yang, and J. R. G. Evans, “Mechanical strength of extrusion freeformed calcium phosphate filaments,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1503–1510, 2010.
- H. Y. Yang, I. Thompson, S. F. Yang, X. P. Chi, J. R. G. Evans, and R. J. Cook, “Dissolution characteristics of extrusion freeformed hydroxyapatite- tricalcium phosphate scaffolds,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 3345–3353, 2008.
- R. I. Martin and P. W. Brown, “Phase equilibria among acid calcium phosphates,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 1263–1266, 1997.
- G. Vereecke and J. Lemaître, “Calculation of the solubility diagrams in the system Ca(OH)2-H3PO4-KOH-HNO3-CO2-H2O,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 820–832, 1990.
- R. Z. LeGeros, “Calcium phosphate-based osteoinductive materials,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 108, no. 11, pp. 4742–4753, 2008.
- H. Follet, G. Boivin, C. Rumelhart, and P. J. Meunier, “The degree of mineralization is a determinant of bone strength: a study on human calcanei,” Bone, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 783–789, 2004.
- U. Gbureck, T. Hölzel, C. J. Doillon, F. A. Müller, and J. E. Barralet, “Direct printing of bioceramic implants with spatially localized angiogenic factors,” Advanced Materials, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 795–800, 2007.
- Z. Li, H. R. Ramay, K. D. Hauch, D. Xiao, and M. Zhang, “Chitosan-alginate hybrid scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3919–3928, 2005.
- C. E. Wilson, J. D. de Bruijn, C. A. van Blitterswijk, A. J. Verbout, and W. J. A. Dhert, “Design and fabrication of standardized hydroxyapatite scaffolds with a defined macro-architecture by rapid prototyping for bone-tissue-engineering research,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 123–132, 2004.
- M. Otsuka, Y. Nakahigashi, Y. Matsuda, J. L. Fox, and W. I. Higuchi, “A novel skeletal drug delivery system using self-setting calcium phosphate cement. 7. Effect of biological factors on indomethacin release from the cement loaded on bovine bone,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1569–1573, 1994.