- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 854954, 9 pages
Therapeutic Effects of PADRE-BAFF Autovaccine on Rat Adjuvant Arthritis
1State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology, Department of Neurology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, 17 Changle West Road, Shaanxi, Xi’an 710032, China
2State Key Laboratory of Cancer Biology, Department of Biopharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Fourth Military Medical University, 17 Changle West Road, Xi’an 710032, China
3The Biotechnology Center, Fourth Military Medical University, 17 Changle West Road, Xi’an, Shaanxi 710032, China
4Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of the Ministry of Education, Department of Biological Science and Engineering, School of Life Science and Technology, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an 710049, China
5Department of Anesthesiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC 27157, USA
Received 5 November 2013; Revised 17 February 2014; Accepted 19 February 2014; Published 25 March 2014
Academic Editor: Thomas Griffith
Copyright © 2014 Guo-dong Feng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Moore, O. Belvedere, A. Orr et al., “BLyS: member of the tumor necrosis factor family and B lymphocyte stimulator,” Science, vol. 285, no. 5425, pp. 260–263, 1999.
- F. MacKay and P. Schneider, “Cracking the BAFF code,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 491–502, 2009.
- K. Yoshimoto, Y. Takahashi, M. Ogasawara et al., “Aberrant expression of BAFF in T cells of systemic lupus erythematosus, which is recapitulated by a human T cell line, Loucy,” International Immunology, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 1189–1196, 2006.
- M. B. Litinskiy, B. Nardelli, D. M. Hilbert et al., “DCs induce CD40-independent immunoglobulin class switching through BLyS and APRIL,” Nature Immunology, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 822–829, 2002.
- S. G. Tangye, V. L. Bryant, A. K. Cuss, and K. L. Good, “BAFF, APRIL and human B cell disorders,” Seminars in Immunology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 305–317, 2006.
- B. Schiemann, J. L. Gommerman, K. Vora et al., “An essential role for BAFF in the normal development of B cells through a BCMA-independent pathway,” Science, vol. 293, no. 5537, pp. 2111–2114, 2001.
- J. S. Thompson, P. Schneider, S. L. Kalled et al., “BAFF binds to the tumor necrosis factor receptor-like molecule B cell maturation antigen and is important for maintaining the peripheral B cell population,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 192, no. 1, pp. 129–135, 2000.
- P. Schneider, H. Takatsuka, A. Wilson et al., “Maturation of marginal zone and follicular B cells requires B cell activating factor of the tumor necrosis factor family and is independent of B cell maturation antigen,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 194, no. 11, pp. 1691–1697, 2001.
- S. D. Khare, I. Sarosi, X. Xia et al., “Severe B cell hyperplasia and autoimmune disease in TALL-1 transgenic mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. 3370–3375, 2000.
- J. A. Gross, J. Johnston, S. Mudri et al., “TACI and BCMA are receptors for a TNF homologue implicated in B-cell autoimmune disease,” Nature, vol. 404, no. 6781, pp. 995–999, 2000.
- J. Groom, S. L. Kalled, A. H. Cutler et al., “Association of BAFF/BLyS overexpression and altered B cell differentiation with Sjögren's syndrome,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2002.
- H. Joo, C. Coquery, Y. Xue, et al., “Serum from patients with SLE instructs monocytes to promote IgG and IgA plasmablast differentiation,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 209, pp. 1335–1348, 2012.
- T. Koyama, H. Tsukamoto, Y. Miyagi et al., “Raised serum APRIL levels in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1065–1067, 2005.
- S. Tan, D. Xu, V. Roschke et al., “Local production of B lymphocyte stimulator protein and APRIL in arthritic joints of patients with inflammatory arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 982–992, 2003.
- M. Krumbholz, D. Theil, T. Derfuss et al., “BAFF is produced by astrocytes and up-regulated in multiple sclerosis lesions and primary central nervous system lymphoma,” The Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 195–200, 2005.
- M. Dall'Era, E. Chakravarty, D. Wallace et al., “Reduced B lymphocyte and immunoglobulin levels after atacicept treatment in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: results of a multicenter, phase Ib, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalating trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 4142–4150, 2007.
- P. P. Tak, R. M. Thurlings, C. Rossier et al., “Atacicept in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: results of a multicenter, phase Ib, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalating, single- and repeated-dose study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 2008.
- X. Jin and C. Ding, “Belimumab—an anti-BLyS human monoclonal antibody for rheumatoid arthritis,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 13, pp. 315–322, 2013.
- L. Quan, G. M. Thiele, J. Tian, and D. Wang, “The development of novel therapies for rheumatoid arthritis,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 723–738, 2008.
- A. Finnegan, S. Ashaye, and K. M. Hamel, “B effector cells in rheumatoid arthritis and experimental arthritis,” Autoimmunity, vol. 45, pp. 353–363, 2012.
- J. U. Scher, “B-cell therapies for rheumatoid arthritis,” Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, vol. 70, pp. 200–203, 2012.
- D. R. Chen and P. L. Cohen, “Living life without B cells: is repeated B-cell depletion a safe and effective long-term treatment plan for rheumatoid arthritis?” International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 159–166, 2012.
- A. M. Waterston, L. Gumbrell, T. Bratt et al., “Phase I study of TNFα AutoVaccine in patients with metastatic cancer,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 848–857, 2005.
- I. Dalum, M. R. Jensen, P. Hindersson, H. I. Elsner, and S. Mouritsen, “Breaking of B cell tolerance toward a highly conserved self protein,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 157, no. 11, pp. 4796–4804, 1996.
- I. Dalum, M. R. Jensen, K. Gregorius, C. M. Thomasen, H. I. Elsner, and S. Mouritsen, “Induction of cross-reactive antibodies against a self protein by immunization with a modified self protein containing a foreign T helper epitope,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 34, no. 16-17, pp. 1113–1120, 1997.
- X. Xue, Z. Wang, Z. Yan, J. Shi, W. Han, and Y. Zhang, “Production and purification of recombinant human BLyS mutant from inclusion bodies,” Protein Expression and Purification, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 194–199, 2005.
- X. Xue, G. Feng, M. Li et al., “Amelioration of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by BLyS autovaccine,” Vaccine, vol. 26, no. 23, pp. 2873–2881, 2008.
- R. A. Moura, H. Canhao, J. Polido-Pereira, et al., “BAFF and TACI gene expression are increased in patients with untreated very early rheumatoid arthritis,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1293–1302, 2013.
- G. S. Cheema, V. Roschke, D. M. Hilbert, and W. Stohl, “Elevated serum B lymphocyte stimulator levels in patients with systemic immune-based rheumatic diseases,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 44, pp. 1313–1319, 2001.
- J. Ohata, N. J. Zvaifler, M. Nishio et al., “Fibroblast-like synoviocytes of mesenchymal origin express functional B cell-activating factor of the TNF family in response to proinflammatory cytokines,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 864–870, 2005.
- L. S. Jacobson, H. Lima, M. F. Goldberg, et al., “Cathepsin-mediated necrosis controls the adaptive immune response by Th2-associated adjuvants,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 288, no. 11, pp. 7481–7491, 2013.
- T. Jefferson, M. Rudin, and C. di Pietrantonj, “Adverse events after immunisation with aluminium-containing DTP vaccines: systematic review of the evidence,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 84–90, 2004.
- R. K. Gherardi, “Lessons from macrophagic myofasciitis: towards definition of a vaccine adjuvant-related syndrome,” Revue Neurologique, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 162–164, 2003.