- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 876712, 9 pages
Modulation of c-Fos and BDNF Protein Expression in Pentylenetetrazole-Kindled Mice following the Treatment with Novel Antiepileptic Compound HHL-6
1H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences,
University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
2Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Received 15 April 2013; Revised 22 October 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013; Published 29 January 2014
Academic Editor: Graziano Onder
Copyright © 2014 Saima Mahmood Malhi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. S. Fisher, W. Van Emde Boas, W. Blume et al., “Epileptic seizures and epilepsy: definitions proposed by the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE) and the International Bureau for Epilepsy (IBE),” Epilepsia, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 470–472, 2005.
- World Health Organization, Epilepsy: Epidemiology, Aetiology and Prognosis, number 165, WHO Factsheet, 2001.
- T. Sato, N. Yamada, K. Morimoto, S. Uemura, and S. Kuroda, “A behavioral and immunohistochemical study on the development of perirhinal cortical kindling: a comparison with other types of limbic kindling,” Brain Research, vol. 811, no. 1-2, pp. 122–132, 1998.
- J. Li, H. Shen, C. C. G. Naus, L. Zhang, and P. L. Carlen, “Upregulation of gap junction connexin 32 with epileptiform activity in the isolated mouse hippocampus,” Neuroscience, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 589–598, 2001.
- A. Gorji, M. Madeja, H. Straub, R. Köhling, and E.-J. Speckmann, “Lowering of the potassium concentration induces epileptiform activity in guinea-pig hippocampal slices,” Brain Research, vol. 908, no. 2, pp. 130–139, 2001.
- A. Pitkänen and K. Lukasiuk, “Molecular and cellular basis of epileptogenesis in symptomatic epilepsy,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 16–25, 2009.
- W. Löscher, “Current status and future directions in the pharmacotherapy of epilepsy,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 113–118, 2002.
- A. Pitkänen, I. Kharatishvili, H. Karhunen et al., “Epileptogenesis in experimental models,” Epilepsia, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 13–20, 2007.
- K. K. Akula, A. Dhir, M. Bishnoi, and S. K. Kulkarni, “Effect of systemic administration of adenosine on brain adenosine levels in pentylenetetrazol-induced seizure threshold in mice,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 425, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 2007.
- M. Rattka, C. Brandt, M. Bankstahl, S. Bröer, and W. Löscher, “Enhanced susceptibility to the GABA antagonist pentylenetetrazole during the latent period following a pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus in rats,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 60, no. 2-3, pp. 505–512, 2011.
- M. Sato, “Kindling: an experimental model of epilepsy,” Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 440–441, 1982.
- M. Sato, R. J. Racine, and D. C. McIntyre, “Kindling: basic mechanisms and clinical validity,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 459–472, 1990.
- A. Yoshii and M. Constantine-Paton, “Postsynaptic BDNF-TrkB signaling in synapse maturation, plasticity, and disease,” Developmental Neurobiology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 304–322, 2010.
- M. Ballarin, P. Ernfors, N. Lindefors, and H. Persson, “Hippocampal damage and kainic acid injection induce a rapid increase in mRNA for BDNF and NGF in the rat brain,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 35–43, 1991.
- S. Lähteinen, A. Pitkänen, J. Knuuttila, P. Törönen, and E. Castrén, “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor signaling modifies hippocampal gene expression during epileptogenesis in transgenic mice,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 3245–3254, 2004.
- Y. Larmet, S. Reibel, J. Carnahan, H. Nawa, C. Marescaux, and A. Depaulis, “Protective effects of brain-derived neurotrophic factor on the development of hippocampal kindling in the rat,” NeuroReport, vol. 6, no. 14, pp. 1937–1941, 1995.
- M. Simonato, R. Molteni, G. Bregola et al., “Different patterns of induction of FGF-2, FGF-1 and BDNF mRNAs during kindling epileptogenesis in the rat,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 955–963, 1998.
- D. G. Herrera and H. A. Robertson, “Activation of c-fos in the brain,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 50, no. 2-3, pp. 83–107, 1996.
- T. Curran and J. I. Morgan, “Fos: an immediate-early transcription factor in neurons,” Journal of Neurobiology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 403–412, 1995.
- K. J. Kovács, “c-Fos as a transcription factor: a stressful (re)view from a functional map,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 287–297, 1998.
- S. M. Sagar, F. R. Sharp, and T. Curran, “Expression of c-fos protein in brain: metabolic mapping at the cellular level,” Science, vol. 240, no. 4857, pp. 1328–1331, 1988.
- M. Dragunow and H. A. Robertson, “Localization and induction of c-fos protein-like immunoreactive material in the nuclei of adult mammalian neurons,” Brain Research, vol. 440, no. 2, pp. 252–260, 1988.
- M. Kiessling and P. Gass, “Immediate early gene expression in experimental epilepsy,” Brain Pathology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 381–393, 1993.
- Y. Iryo, M. Matsuoka, and H. Igisu, “Suppression of pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures and c-fos expression in mouse brain by L-carnitine,” Journal of Occupational Health, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 119–123, 2000.
- C. Humpel, C. Wetmore, and L. Olson, “Regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor messenger RNA and protein at the cellular level in pentylenetetrazol-induced epileptic seizures,” Neuroscience, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 909–918, 1993.
- R. J. Racine, “Modification of seizure activity by electrical stimulation: II. Motor seizure,” Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 281–294, 1972.
- R. Racine, L. Tuff, and J. Zaide, “Kindling, unit discharge patterns and neural plasticity,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 395–405, 1975.
- C. L. Faingold, “Seizures induced by convulsant drugs,” in Neurotransmitters and Epilepsy, P. C. Jobes and H. E. Laird, Eds., pp. 215–276, Humana Press, 1987.
- S. N. Mandhane, K. Aavula, and T. Rajamannar, “Timed pentylenetetrazol infusion test: a comparative analysis with s.c.PTZ and MES models of anticonvulsant screening in mice,” Seizure, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 636–644, 2007.
- F. A. Oliveira, R. N. De Almeida, M. D. F. V. Sousa, J. M. Barbosa-Filho, S. A. Diniz, and I. A. De Medeiros, “Anticonvulsant properties of N-salicyloyltryptamine in mice,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 199–202, 2001.
- F. D. A. Oliveira, D. A. E Silva, L. J. Quintans Jr. et al., “Synthesis and structural characterization of N-benzoyltryptamine and its new analogue N-salicyloyltryptamine, a potential anticonvulsant agent,” Journal of the Chilean Chemical Society, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 919–922, 2006.
- H. Altintaş, Ö. Ateş, B. S. Uydeş-Doǧan et al., “Synthesis and evaluation of antimicrobial and anticonvulsant activities of some new 3-[2-(5-aryl-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-yl/4-carbethoxymethylthiazol-2-yl)imino-4-thiazolidinon-5-ylidene]-5-substituted/nonsubstituted 1H-indole-2-ones and investigation of their structure-activity relationships,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 239–248, 2006.
- K. Gale, “Role of GABA in the genesis of chemoconvulsant seizures,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 64-65, pp. 417–428, 1992.
- G. De Sarro, E. Palma, N. Costa et al., “Effects of compounds acting on GABA(B) receptors in the pentylenetetrazole kindling model of epilepsy in mice,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 2147–2161, 2000.
- J. I. Morgan, D. R. Cohen, J. L. Hempstead, and T. Curran, “Mapping patterns of c-fos expression in the central nervous system after seizure,” Science, vol. 237, no. 4811, pp. 192–196, 1987.
- T. C. D. Burazin and A. L. Gundlach, “Rapid and transient increases in cellular immediate early gene and neuropeptide mRNAs in cortical and limbic areas after amygdaloid kindling seizures in the rat,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 281–293, 1996.
- T. R. Mhyre and C. D. Applegate, “Persistent regional increases in brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the flurothyl model of epileptogenesis are dependent upon the kindling status of the animal,” Neuroscience, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 1031–1045, 2003.
- M. Clark, R. M. Post, S. R. B. Weiss, C. J. Cain, and T. Nakajima, “Regional expression of c-fos mRNA in rat brain during the evolution of amygdala kindled seizures,” Molecular Brain Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 55–64, 1991.
- D. M. Labiner, L. S. Butler, Z. Cao, D. A. Hosford, C. Shin, and J. O. McNamara, “Induction of c-fos mRNA by kindled seizures: complex relationship with neuronal burst firing,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 744–751, 1993.
- M. Erdtmann-Vourliotis, U. Riechert, P. Mayer, G. Grecksch, and V. Höllt, “Pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced c-fos expression in the hippocampus of kindled rats is suppressed by concomitant treatment with naloxone,” Brain Research, vol. 792, no. 2, pp. 299–308, 1998.
- D. Giulia, V. Francesca, S. Sandra et al., “A molecular study of hippocampus in dogs with convulsion during canine distemper virus encephalitis,” Brain Research, vol. 1098, no. 1, pp. 186–195, 2006.
- J. Szyndler, P. Maciejak, D. Turzyńska et al., “Mapping of c-Fos expression in the rat brain during the evolution of pentylenetetrazol-kindled seizures,” Epilepsy and Behavior, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 216–224, 2009.
- G. M. Kasof, A. Mandelzys, S. D. Maika, R. E. Hammer, T. Curran, and J. I. Morgan, “Kainic acid-induced neuronal death is associated with DNA damage and a unique immediate-early gene response in c-fos-lacZ transgenic rats,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 4238–4249, 1995.
- B. J. Chiasson, M. G. L. Hong, and H. A. Robertson, “Putative roles for the inducible transcription factor c-fos in the central nervous system: studies with antisense oligonucleotides,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 459–475, 1997.
- H. Nawa, J. Carnahan, and C. Call, “BDNF protein measured by a novel enzyme immunoassay in normal brain and after seizure: partial disagreement with mRNA levels,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1527–1535, 1995.
- T. Numakawa, S. Suzuki, E. Kumamaru, N. Adachi, M. Richards, and H. Kunugi, “BDNF function and intracellular signaling in neurons,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 237–258, 2010.
- D. K. Binder, S. D. Croll, C. M. Gall, and H. E. Scharfman, “BDNF and epilepsy: too much of a good thing?” Trends in Neurosciences, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 2001.
- Y. Wang, J.-S. Qi, S. Kong et al., “BDNF-TrkB signaling pathway mediates the induction of epileptiform activity induced by a convulsant drug cyclothiazide,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 49–59, 2009.
- D. Lindholm, E. Castren, M. Berzaghi, A. Blochl, and H. Thoenen, “Activity-dependent and hormonal regulation of neurotrophin mRNA levels in the brain—implications for neuronal plasticity,” Journal of Neurobiology, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1362–1372, 1994.
- E. Elmer, M. Kokaia, Z. Kokaia, I. Ferencz, and O. Lindvall, “Delayed kindling development after rapidly recurring seizures: relation to messy fiber sprouting and neurotrophin, GAP-43 and dynorphin gene expression,” Brain Research, vol. 712, no. 1, pp. 19–34, 1996.
- P. J. Isackson, M. M. Huntsman, K. D. Murray, and C. M. Gall, “BDNF mRNA expression is increased in adult rat forebrain after limbic seizures: temporal patterns of induction distinct from NGF,” Neuron, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 937–948, 1991.
- S. D. Croll, C. Suri, D. L. Compton et al., “Brain-derived neurotrophic factor transgenic mice exhibit passive avoidance deficits, increased seizure severity and in vitro hyperexcitability in the hippocampus and entorhinal cortex,” Neuroscience, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1491–1506, 1999.
- C. Wetmore, L. Olson, and A. J. Bean, “Regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) expression and release from hippocampal neurons is mediated by non-NMDA type glutamate receptors,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1688–1700, 1994.
- W. Gottschalk, L. D. Pozzo-Miller, A. Figurov, and B. Lu, “Presynaptic modulation of synaptic transmission and plasticity by brain- derived neurotrophic factor in the developing hippocampus,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 17, pp. 6830–6839, 1998.
- X.-P. He, L. Minichiello, R. Klein, and J. O. McNamara, “Immunohistochemical evidence of seizure-induced activation of trkB receptors in the mossy fiber pathway of adult mouse hippocampus,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 17, pp. 7502–7508, 2002.
- P. Gass, M. Kiessling, and H. Bading, “Regionally selective stimulation of mitogen activated protein (MAP) kinase tyrosine phosphorylation after generalized seizures in the rat brain,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 162, no. 1-2, pp. 39–42, 1993.
- T. Herdegen, A. Blume, T. Buschmann et al., “Expression of activating transcription factor-2, serum response factor and camp/ca response element binding protein in the adult rat brain following generalized seizures, nerve fibre lesion and ultraviolet irradiation,” Neuroscience, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 199–212, 1997.
- C. Heinrich, S. Lähteinen, F. Suzuki et al., “Increase in BDNF-mediated TrkB signaling promotes epileptogenesis in a mouse model of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 35–47, 2011.
- M. Kokaia, P. Ernfors, Z. Kokaia, E. Elmer, R. Jaenisch, and O. Lindvall, “Suppressed epileptogenesis in BDNF mutant mice,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 215–224, 1995.
- S. Lähteinen, A. Pitkänen, T. Saarelainen, J. Nissinen, E. Koponen, and E. Castrén, “Decreased BDNF signalling in transgenic mice reduces epileptogenesis,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 721–734, 2002.
- L. Frank, R. Ventimiglia, K. Anderson, R. M. Lindsay, and J. S. Rudge, “BDNF down-regulates neurotrophin responsiveness, TrkB protein and TrkB mRNA levels in cultured rat hippocampal neurons,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1220–1230, 1996.
- M. T. Sommerfeld, R. Schweigreiter, Y.-A. Barde, and E. Hoppe, “Down-regulation of the neurotrophin receptor TrkB following ligand binding: evidence for an involvement of the proteasome and differential regulation of TrkA and TrkB,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 12, pp. 8982–8990, 2000.
- X.-P. He, R. Kotloski, S. Nef, B. W. Luikart, L. F. Parada, and J. O. McNamara, “Conditional deletion of TrkB but not BDNF prevents epileptogenesis in the kindling model,” Neuron, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 31–42, 2004.