- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 902343, 8 pages
Acute and Subacute Toxicity In Vivo of Thermal-Sprayed Silver Containing Hydroxyapatite Coating in Rat Tibia
1Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, 5-1-1 Nabeshima, Saga 849-8501, Japan
2Departments of Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, Saga 849-8501, Japan
3Research Department, KYOCERA Medical Corporation, Osaka 532-0003, Japan
Received 25 September 2013; Accepted 13 February 2014; Published 20 March 2014
Academic Editor: Konstantinos Anagnostakos
Copyright © 2014 Masatsugu Tsukamoto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System, “National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) system report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004,” The American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 470–485, 2004.
- V. Antoci Jr., S. B. King, B. Jose et al., “Vancomycin covalently bonded to titanium alloy prevents bacterial colonization,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 858–866, 2007.
- D. Neut, R. J. Dijkstra, J. I. Thompson, H. C. van der Mei, and H. J. Busscher, “A gentamicin-releasing coating for cementless hip prostheses-Longitudinal evaluation of efficacy using in vitro bio-optical imaging and its wide-spectrum antibacterial efficacy,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 100, no. 12, pp. 3220–3226, 2012.
- M. Stigter, J. Bezemer, K. de Groot, and P. Layrolle, “Incorporation of different antibiotics into carbonated hydroxyapatite coatings on titanium implants, release and antibiotic efficacy,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 127–137, 2004.
- B. J. Nablo, H. L. Prichard, R. D. Butler, B. Klitzman, and M. H. Schoenfisch, “Inhibition of implant-associated infections via nitric oxide release,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 34, pp. 6984–6990, 2005.
- T. Shirai, T. Shimizu, K. Ohtani, Y. Zen, M. Takaya, and H. Tsuchiya, “Antibacterial iodine-supported titanium implants,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1928–1933, 2011.
- H. Tsuchiya, T. Shirai T, H. Nishida et al., “Innovative antimicrobial coating of titanium implants with iodine,” Journal of Orthopaedic Science, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 595–604, 2012.
- I. Noda, F. Miyaji, Y. Ando et al., “Development of novel thermal sprayed antibacterial coating and evaluation of release properties of silver ions,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 456–465, 2009.
- Y. Ando, H. Miyamoto, I. Noda et al., “Effect of bacterial media on the evaluation of the antibacterial activity of a biomaterial containing inorganic antibacterial reagents or antibiotics,” Biocontrol Science, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 15–19, 2010.
- T. Shimazaki, H. Miyamoto, Y. Ando et al., “In vivo antibacterial and silver-releasing properties of novel thermal sprayed silver-containing hydroxyapatite coating,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 386–389, 2010.
- T. Akiyama, H. Miyamoto, Y. Yonekura et al., “Silver oxide-containing hydroxyapatite coating has in vivo antibacterial activity in the rat tibia,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1195–1200, 2013.
- Y. Yonekura, H. Miyamoto, T. Shimazaki et al., “Osteoconductivity of thermal-sprayed silver-containing hydroxyapatite coating in the rat tibia,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 644–649, 2011.
- H. K. Kjaergard, J. Tingleff, U. Abildgaard, and G. Pettersson, “Recurrent endocarditis in silver-coated heart valve prosthesis,” Journal of Heart Valve Disease, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 140–142, 1999.
- T. Ostendorf, A. Meinhold, C. Harter et al., “Chlorhexidine and silver-sulfadiazine coated central venous catheters in haematological patients—a double-blind, randomised, prospective, controlled trial,” Supportive Care in Cancer, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 993–1000, 2005.
- M. Batt, J. Magne, P. Alric et al., “In situ revascularization with silver-coated polyester grafts to treat aortic infection: early and midterm results,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 983–989, 2003.
- M. E. Rupp, T. Fitzgerald, N. Marion et al., “Effect of silver-coated urinary catheters: efficacy, cost-effectiveness, and antimicrobial resistance,” The American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 445–450, 2004.
- Z. Aziz, S. F. Abu, and N. J. Chong, “A systematic review of silver-containing dressings and topical silver agents (used with dressings) for burn wounds,” Burns, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 307–318, 2012.
- G. Gosheger, J. Hardes, H. Ahrens et al., “Silver-coated megaendoprostheses in a rabbit model—an analysis of the infection rate and toxicological side effects,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 5547–5556, 2004.
- J. Hardes, H. Ahrens, C. Gebert et al., “Lack of toxicological side-effects in silver-coated megaprostheses in humans,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 18, pp. 2869–2875, 2007.
- J. Hardes, C. von Eiff, A. Streitbuerger et al., “Reduction of periprosthetic infection with silver-coated megaprostheses in patients with bone sarcoma,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 389–395, 2010.
- A. T. Wan, R. A. J. Conyers, C. J. Coombs, and J. P. Masterton, “Determination of silver in blood, urine, and tissues of volunteers and burn patients,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 10, part 1, pp. 1683–1687, 1991.
- L. Gaul and A. Staud, “Clinical spectroscopy. Seventy cases of generalized argyrosis following organic and colloidal silver medication,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 104, no. 16, pp. 1387–1390, 1935.
- J. M. L. White, A. M. Powell, K. Brady, and R. Russell-Jones, “Severe generalized argyria secondary to ingestion of colloidal silver protein,” Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 254–256, 2003.
- M. A. Hollinger, “Toxicological aspects of topical silver pharmaceuticals,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 255–260, 1996.
- C. Chambers, C. Proctor, and P. Kabler, “Bactericidal effect of low concentrations of silver,” The American Water Works Association, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 208–216, 1962.
- P. L. Drake and K. J. Hazelwood, “Exposure-related health effects of silver and silver compounds: a review,” Annals of Occupational Hygiene, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 575–585, 2005.