- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 904381, 8 pages
Crystallographic Analysis of Ground and Space Thermostable T1 Lipase Crystal Obtained via Counter Diffusion Method Approach
1Enzyme and Microbial Technology Research Centre, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
3Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
4Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
5Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 1 April 2013; Revised 28 September 2013; Accepted 10 October 2013; Published 2 January 2014
Academic Editor: Michael Kalafatis
Copyright © 2014 Sayangku Nor Ariati Mohamad Aris et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Hasan, A. A. Shah, and A. Hameed, “Industrial applications of microbial lipases,” Enzyme and Microbial Technology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 235–251, 2006.
- F. Otalora, J. A. Gavira, J. D. Ng, and J. M. Garcia-Ruiz, “Counter diffusion methods applied to protein crystallization,” Progress Biophysic Molecular Biology, vol. 101, pp. 26–37, 2009.
- J. M. García-Ruiz and A. Moreno, “Investigations on protein growth by the gel acupuncture method,” Acta Crystallographica D, vol. 50, pp. 484–490, 1994.
- H. Tanaka, K. Inaka, S. Sugiyama et al., “A simplified counter diffusion method combined with a 1-D simulation program for optimizing crystallization conditions,” Journal of Synchrotron Radiation, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 45–48, 2004.
- T. Y. Miller, X.-M. He, and D. C. Carter, “A comparison between protein crystals grown with vapor diffusion methods in microgravity and protein crystals using a gel liquid-liquid diffusion ground-based method,” Journal of Crystal Growth, vol. 122, no. 1-4, pp. 306–309, 1992.
- T. C. Leow, R. N. Z. R. A. Rahman, M. Basri, and A. B. Salleh, “A thermoalkaliphilic lipase of Geobacillus sp. T1,” Extremophiles, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 527–535, 2007.
- U. K. Laemmli, “Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4,” Nature, vol. 227, no. 5259, pp. 680–685, 1970.
- T. C. Leow, R. N. Z. R. A. Rahman, A. B. Salleh, and M. Basri, “High-temperature crystallization of thermostable T1 lipase,” Crystal Growth and Design, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 406–410, 2007.
- Z. Otwinowski and W. Minor, “Processing of X-ray diffraction data collected in oscillation mode,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 276, pp. 307–326, 1997.
- E. Krieger, G. Koraimann, and G. Vriend, “Increasing the precision of comparative models with YASARA NOVA—a self-parameterizing force field,” Proteins: Structure, Function and Genetics, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 393–402, 2002.
- M. Benvenuti and S. Mangani, “Crystallization of soluble proteins in vapor diffusion for x-ray crystallography,” Nature protocols, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 1633–1651, 2007.
- S. Sinchaikul, J. D. A. Tyndall, L. A. Fothergill-Gilmore et al., “Expression, purification, crystallization and preliminary crystallographic analysis of a thermostable lipase from Bacillus stearothermophilus P1,” Acta Crystallographica D, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 182–185, 2002.
- C. Carrasco-López, C. Godoy, B. De Las Rivas et al., “Crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction studies of the BTL2 lipase from the extremophilic microorganism Bacillus thermocatenulatus,” Acta Crystallographica F, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 1043–1045, 2008.
- S.-T. Jeong, H.-K. Kim, S.-J. Kim, J.-G. Pan, T.-K. Oh, and S.-E. Ryu, “Crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of a thermoalkalophilic lipase from Bacillus stearothermophilus L1,” Acta Crystallographica D, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 1300–1302, 2001.
- M. S. Khusaini, R. N. Z. R. A. Rahman, M. S. Mohamad Ali, T. C. Leow, M. Basri, and A. B. Salleh, “Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic analysis of a thermostable organic solvent-tolerant lipase from Bacillus sp. strain 42,” Acta Crystallographica F, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 401–403, 2011.
- F. M. Shariff, R. N. Z. R. A. Rahman, M. S. M. Ali, A. L. T. Chor, M. Basri, and A. B. Salleh, “Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic analysis of highly thermostable L2 lipase from the newly isolated Bacillus sp. L2,” Acta Crystallographica F, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 715–717, 2010.
- R. Maruki, M. Warizaya, T. Kinoshita, H. Nakajima, and S. Nishimura, “Structure of a high-resolution crystal form of human triosephosphate isomerase: Improvement of crystals using the gel-tube method,” Acta Crystallographica F, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 346–349, 2005.
- S. S. Terzyan, C. R. Bourne, P. A. Ramsland, P. C. Bourne, and A. B. Edmundson, “Comparison of the three-dimensional structures of a human Bence-Jones dimer crystallized on earth and aboard US Space Shuttle Mission STS-95,” Journal of Molecular Recognition, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 83–90, 2003.
- J. D. Ng, C. Sauter, B. Lorber, N. Kirkland, J. Arnez, and R. Giegé, “Comparative analysis of space-grown and earth-grown crystals of an aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase: space-grown crystals are more useful for structural determination,” Acta Crystallographica D, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 645–652, 2002.
- B. W. Matthews, “Solvent content of protein crystals,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 491–497, 1968.
- K. A. Kantardjieff and B. Rupp, “Matthews coefficient probabilities: improved estimates for unit cell contents of proteins, DNA, and protein-nucleic acid complex crystals,” Protein Science, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1865–1871, 2003.
- R. A. Laskowski, M. W. MacArthur, D. S. Moss, and J. M. Thornton, “PROCHECK—a program to check the stereochemical quality of protein structures,” Journal of Applied Crystallography, vol. 26, pp. 283–291, 1993.
- Z. Yuan, J. Zhao, and Z.-X. Wang, “Flexibility analysis of enzyme active sites by crystallographic temperature factors,” Protein Engineering, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–114, 2003.
- D.-W. Li and R. Brüschweiler, “All-atom contact model for understanding protein dynamics from crystallographic B-factors,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 3074–3081, 2009.
- Z. Yuan, T. L. Bailey, and R. D. Teasdale, “Prediction of protein B-factor profiles,” Proteins, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 905–912, 2005.