- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 925121, 7 pages
Telomere Length Reprogramming in Embryos and Stem Cells
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, New York University Langone Medical Center, 180 Varick Street, No. 761, New York, NY 10014, USA
2College of Life Sciences, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, China
Received 9 November 2013; Accepted 15 January 2014; Published 27 February 2014
Academic Editor: Xu-Dong Zhu
Copyright © 2014 Keri Kalmbach et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- U. Friedrich, E. U. Griese, M. Schwab, P. Fritz, K. P. Thon, and U. Klotz, “Telomere length in different tissues of elderly patients,” Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 89–99, 2000.
- C. B. Harley, A. B. Futcher, and C. W. Greider, “Telomeres shorten during ageing of human fibroblasts,” Nature, vol. 345, no. 6274, pp. 458–460, 1990.
- T. de Lange, “How telomeres solve the end-protection problem,” Science, vol. 326, no. 5955, pp. 948–952, 2009.
- T. R. Cech, “Beginning to understand the end of the chromosome,” Cell, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 273–279, 2004.
- C. W. Greider and E. H. Blackburn, “Identification of a specific telomere terminal transferase activity in tetrahymena extracts,” Cell, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 405–413, 1985.
- M. A. Dunham, A. A. Neumann, C. L. Fasching, and R. R. Reddel, “Telomere maintenance by recombination in human cells,” Nature Genetics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 447–450, 2000.
- J. Henson, A. Neumann, T. Yeager, and R. Reddel, “Alternative lengthening of telomeres in mammalian cells,” Oncogene, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 598–610, 2002.
- A. A. Neumann, C. M. Watson, J. R. Noble, et al., “Alternative lengthening of telomeres in normal mammalian somatic cells,” Genes and Development, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 18–23, 2013.
- L. Liu, S. M. Bailey, M. Okuka et al., “Telomere lengthening early in development,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1436–1441, 2007.
- B. Murillo-Ortiz, F. Albarrán-Tamayo, D. Arenas-Aranda et al., “Telomere length and type 2 diabetes in males, a premature aging syndrome,” Aging Male, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 54–58, 2012.
- M. Du, J. Prescott, M. C. Cornelis, et al., “Genetic predisposition to higher body mass index or type 2 diabetes and leukocyte telomere length in the Nurses' Health Study,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 2, Article ID e52240, 2013.
- A. L. Fitzpatrick, R. A. Kronmal, M. Kimura, et al., “Leukocyte telomere length and mortality in the Cardiovascular Health Study,” The Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 421–429, 2011.
- D. Hartmann, U. Srivastava, M. Thaler, et al., “Telomerase gene mutations are associated with cirrhosis formation,” Hepatology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1608–1617, 2011.
- R. T. Calado, J. Brudno, P. Mehta et al., “Constitutional telomerase mutations are genetic risk factors for cirrhosis,” Hepatology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1600–1607, 2011.
- B. Martinez-Delgado, K. Yanowsky, L. Inglada-Perez et al., “Genetic anticipation is associated with Telomere shortening in hereditary breast cancer,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 7, no. 7, Article ID e1002182, 2011.
- M. Armanios, “Telomeres and age-related disease: how telomere biology informs clinical paradigms,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 996–1002, 2013.
- C. Gunes and K. L. Rudolph, “The role of telomeres in stem cells and cancer,” Cell, vol. 152, no. 3, pp. 390–393, 2013.
- C. M. Heaphy, G. S. Yoon, S. B. Peskoe, et al., “Prostate cancer cell telomere length variability and stromal cell telomere length as prognostic markers for metastasis and death,” Cancer Discovery, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 1130–1141, 2013.
- E. Kuhn, A. K. Meeker, K. Visvanathan et al., “Telomere length in different histologic types of ovarian carcinoma with emphasis on clear cell carcinoma,” Modern Pathology, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1139–1145, 2011.
- W. Chen, M. Kimura, S. Kim et al., “Longitudinal versus cross-sectional evaluations of leukocyte telomere length dynamics: age-dependent telomere shortening is the rule,” Journals of Gerontology A, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 312–319, 2011.
- G. Atzmon, M. Cho, R. M. Cawthon, et al., “Evolution in health and medicine Sackler colloquium: genetic variation in human telomerase is associated with telomere length in Ashkenazi centenarians,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, 1, pp. 1710–1717, 2010.
- B. R. Houghtaling, S. Canudas, and S. Smith, “A role for sister telomere cohesion in telomere elongation by telomerase,” Cell Cycle, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2012.
- S. A. Savage, N. Giri, G. M. Baerlocher, N. Orr, P. M. Lansdorp, and B. P. Alter, “TINF2, a component of the shelterin telomere protection complex, is mutated in dyskeratosis congenita,” The American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 501–509, 2008.
- S. A. Savage and A. A. Bertuch, “The genetics and clinical manifestations of telomere biology disorders,” Genetics in Medicine, vol. 12, no. 12, pp. 753–764, 2010.
- T. Vulliamy, A. Marrone, F. Goldman et al., “The RNA component of telomerase is mutated in autosomal dominant dyskeratosis congenita,” Nature, vol. 413, no. 6854, pp. 432–435, 2001.
- S. Knight, T. Vulliamy, A. Copplestone, E. Gluckman, P. Mason, and I. Dokal, “Dyskeratosis congenita (DC) registry: identification of new features of DC,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 990–996, 1998.
- N. S. Heiss, S. W. Knight, T. J. Vulliamy et al., “X-linked dyskeratosis congenita is caused by mutations in a highly conserved gene with putative nucleolar functions,” Nature Genetics, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 32–38, 1998.
- B. P. Alter, N. Giri, S. A. Savage, and P. S. Rosenberg, “Cancer in dyskeratosis congenita,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 26, pp. 6549–6557, 2009.
- D. L. Keefe, L. Liu, and K. Marquard, “Telomeres and aging-related meiotic dysfunction in women,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 139–143, 2007.
- K. H. Kalmbach, D. M. F. Antunes, R. C. Dracxler, et al., “Telomeres and Human Reproduction,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2013.
- F. Wang, X. Pan, K. Kalmbach, et al., “Robust measurement of telomere length in single cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 110, no. 21, pp. E1906–E1912, 2013.
- T. Yamada-Fukunaga, M. Yamada, T. Hamatani, et al., “Age-associated telomere shortening in mouse oocytes,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 11, no. 1, article 108, 2013.
- M. Liu, Y. Yin, X. Ye, et al., “Resveratrol protects against age-associated infertility in mice,” Human Reproduction, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 707–717, 2013.
- A. Gibbons, “Older dads have healthier kids than you think,” Science, vol. 336, no. 6081, p. 539, 2012.
- D. T. Eisenberg, M. G. Hayes, and C. W. Kuzawa, “Delayed paternal age of reproduction in humans is associated with longer telomeres across two generations of descendants,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 109, no. 26, pp. 10251–10256, 2012.
- M. Kimura, L. F. Cherkas, B. S. Kato et al., “Offspring's leukocyte telomere length, paternal age, and telomere elongation in sperm,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 4, no. 2, article e37, 2008.
- J. Prescott, M. Du, J. Y. Wong, J. Han, and I. de Vivo, “Paternal age at birth is associated with offspring leukocyte telomere length in the nurses' health study,” Human Reproduction, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 3622–3631, 2012.
- S. Schaetzlein, A. Lucas-Hahn, E. Lemme et al., “Telomere length is reset during early mammalian embryogenesis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 21, pp. 8034–8038, 2004.
- N. R. Treff, J. Su, D. Taylor, and R. T. Scott, “Telomere dna deficiency is associated with development of human embryonic aneuploidy,” PLoS Genetics, vol. 7, no. 6, Article ID e1002161, 2011.
- E. Varela, R. P. Schneider, S. Ortega, and M. A. Blasco, “Different telomere-length dynamics at the inner cell mass versus established embryonic stem (ES) cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 37, pp. 15207–15212, 2011.
- S. Turner, H. P. Wong, J. Rai, and G. M. Hartshorne, “Telomere lengths in human oocytes, cleavage stage embryos and blastocysts,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 685–694, 2010.
- S. Turner and G. M. Hartshorne, “Telomere lengths in human pronuclei, oocytes and spermatozoa,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 510–518, 2013.
- D. L. Keefe, S. Franco, L. Liu et al., “Telomere length predicts embryo fragmentation after in vitro fertilization in women—toward a telomere theory of reproductive aging in women,” The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 192, no. 4, pp. 1256–1261, 2005.
- L. Liu, M. A. Blasco, J. R. Trimarchi, and D. L. Keefe, “An essential role for functional telomeres in mouse germ cells during fertilization and early development,” Developmental Biology, vol. 249, no. 1, pp. 74–84, 2002.
- S. Ghosh, E. Feingold, S. Chakraborty, and S. K. Dey, “Telomere length is associated with types of chromosome 21 nondisjunction: a new insight into the maternal age effect on down syndrome birth,” Human Genetics, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 403–409, 2010.
- C. W. Hanna, K. L. Bretherick, J. L. Gair, et al., “Telomere length and reproductive aging,” Human Reproduction, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1206–1211, 2009.
- H. Y. Jeon, S. H. Hyun, G. S. Lee et al., “The analysis of telomere length and telomerase activity in cloned pigs and cows,” Molecular Reproduction and Development, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 315–320, 2005.
- N. Miyashita, Y. Kubo, M. Yonai et al., “Cloned cows with short telomeres deliver healthy offspring with normal-length telomeres,” Journal of Reproduction and Development, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 636–642, 2011.
- S. Imsoonthornruksa, A. Sangmalee, K. Srirattana, R. Parnpai, and M. Ketudat-Cairns, “Development of intergeneric and intrageneric somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) cat embryos and the determination of telomere length in cloned offspring,” Cellular Reprogramming, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 79–87, 2012.
- D. H. Betts, V. Bordignon, J. R. Hill et al., “Reprogramming of telomerase activity and rebuilding of telomere length in cloned cattle,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 1077–1082, 2001.
- G. F. Mastromonaco, S. D. Perrault, D. H. Betts, and W. A. King, “Role of chromosome stability and telomere length in the production of viable cell lines for somatic cell nuclear transfer,” BMC Developmental Biology, vol. 6, article 41, 2006.
- K. Takahashi, K. Tanabe, M. Ohnuki et al., “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from adult human fibroblasts by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 861–872, 2007.
- K. Takahashi and S. Yamanaka, “Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors,” Cell, vol. 126, no. 4, pp. 663–676, 2006.
- J. Huang, F. Wang, M. Okuka et al., “Association of telomere length with authentic pluripotency of ES/iPS cells,” Cell Research, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 779–792, 2011.
- F. Wang, Y. Yin, X. Ye et al., “Molecular insights into the heterogeneity of telomere reprogramming in induced pluripotent stem cells,” Cell Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 757–768, 2012.
- M. A. Blasco, “The epigenetic regulation of mammalian telomeres,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 299–309, 2007.
- F. Pucci, L. Gardano, and L. Harrington, “Short telomeres in ESCs lead to unstable differentiation,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 479–486, 2013.
- G. Falco, S. L. Lee, I. Stanghellini, U. C. Bassey, T. Hamatani, and M. S. H. Ko, “Zscan4: a novel gene expressed exclusively in late 2-cell embryos and embryonic stem cells,” Developmental Biology, vol. 307, no. 2, pp. 539–550, 2007.
- M. Zalzman, G. Falco, L. V. Sharova et al., “Zscan4 regulates telomere elongation and genomic stability in ES cells,” Nature, vol. 464, no. 7290, pp. 858–863, 2010.
- J. Dan, M. Li, and J. Yang, “Roles for Tbx3 in regulation of two-cell state and telomere elongation in mouse ES cells,” Scientific Reports, vol. 3, article 3492, 2013.
- J. Jiang, W. Lv, X. Ye, et al., “Zscan4 promotes genomic stability during reprogramming and dramatically improves the quality of iPS cells as demonstrated by tetraploid complementation,” Cell Research, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 92–106, 2013.
- S. Agarwal, Y. H. Loh, E. M. McLoughlin et al., “Telomere elongation in induced pluripotent stem cells from dyskeratosis congenita patients,” Nature, vol. 464, no. 7286, pp. 292–296, 2010.
- L. F. Z. Batista, M. F. Pech, F. L. Zhong et al., “Telomere shortening and loss of self-renewal in dyskeratosis congenita induced pluripotent stem cells,” Nature, vol. 474, no. 7351, pp. 399–404, 2011.
- M. Tachibana, P. Amato, M. Sparman, et al., “Human embryonic stem cells derived by somatic cell nuclear transfer,” Cell, vol. 153, no. 6, pp. 1228–1238, 2013.
- R. Le, Z. Kou, Y. Jiang, et al., “Enhanced telomere rejuvenation in pluripotent cells reprogrammed via nuclear transfer relative to induced pluripotent stem cells,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 14, no. 1, 2013.
- S. Yehezkel, A. Rebibo-Sabbah, Y. Segev et al., “Reprogramming of telomeric regions during the generation of human induced pluripotent stem cells and subsequent differentiation into fibroblast-like derivatives,” Epigenetics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 63–75, 2011.
- R. P. Schneider, I. Garrobo, M. Foronda, et al., “TRF1 is a stem cell marker and is essential for the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells,” Nature Communications, vol. 4, article 1946, 2013.
- R. Benetti, S. Gonzalo, I. Jaco et al., “Suv4-20h deficiency results in telomere elongation and derepression of telomere recombination,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 178, no. 6, pp. 925–936, 2007.
- R. Benetti, M. García-Cao, and M. A. Blasco, “Telomere length regulates the epigenetic status of mammalian telomeres and subtelomeres,” Nature Genetics, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 243–250, 2007.
- S. Gonzalo, I. Jaco, M. F. Fraga et al., “DNA methyltransferases control telomere length and telomere recombination in mammalian cells,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 416–424, 2006.