- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 945963, 9 pages
Mercury Speciation in Hair of Children in Three Communities of the Amazon, Brazil
1Evandro Chagas Institute, 316 Km, 07 Road, Levilândia, 67030-000 Ananindeua, PA, Brazil
2Federal University of Pará, 01 Augusto Corrêa Street, Guamá, 66075-110 Belém, PA, Brazil
Received 21 October 2013; Accepted 27 January 2014; Published 11 March 2014
Academic Editor: Erhan Unlu
Copyright © 2014 Jamile Salim Marinho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Harada, J. Nakanishi, E. Yasoda et al., “Mercury pollution in the Tapajos River basin, Amazon mercury level of head hair and health effects,” Environment International, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 285–290, 2001.
- R. C. Marques, J. G. Dórea, W. R. Bastos, M. de Freitas Rebelo, M. de Freitas Fonseca, and O. Malm, “Maternal mercury exposure and neuro-motor development in breastfed infants from Porto Velho (Amazon), Brazil,” International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, vol. 210, no. 1, pp. 51–60, 2007.
- E. C. De Oliveira Santos, I. M. De Jesus, E. Da Silva Brabo et al., “Mercury exposures in riverside amazon communities in Para, Brazil,” Environmental Research, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 100–107, 2000.
- M. Gochfeld, “Cases of mercury exposure, bioavailability, and absorption,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 174–179, 2003.
- M. C. N. Pinheiro, B. M. Macchi, J. L. F. Vieira et al., “Mercury exposure and antioxidant defenses in women: a comparative study in the Amazon,” Environmental Research, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 53–59, 2008.
- D. Mergler, H. A. Anderson, L. H. M. Chan et al., “Methylmercury exposure and health effects in humans: a worldwide concern,” Ambio, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 2007.
- P. Holmes, K. A. F. James, and L. S. Levy, “Is low-level environmental mercury exposure of concern to human health?” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 2, pp. 171–182, 2009.
- D. Grotto, J. Valentini, M. Fillion et al., “Mercury exposure and oxidative stress in communities of the Brazilian Amazon,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 4, pp. 806–811, 2010.
- M. E. Crespo-López, A. M. Herculano, T. C. Corvelo, and J. L. Do Nascimento, “Mercury and neurotoxicity,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 441–447, 2005.
- T. W. Clarkson and L. Magos, “The toxicology of mercury and its chemical compounds,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 609–662, 2006.
- WHO, Children's Exposure to Mercury Compounds, World Health organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2010.
- “JECFA (United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization and World Health Organization Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives),” 2007, http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2007/9789241660587_eng.pdf.
- M. Fillion, D. Mergler, C. J. Sousa Passos, F. Larribe, M. Lemire, and J. R. D. Guimarães, “A preliminary study of mercury exposure and blood pressure in the Brazilian Amazon,” Environmental Health: A Global Access Science Source, vol. 5, article 29, 2006.
- US EPA, A Decade of Children's Environmental Health reSearch, Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, USA, 2007, http://www.epa.gov/ncer/publications/research_results_synthesis/ceh_report_508.pdf.
- M. C. N. Pinheiro, M. Harada, E. Yasoda, et al., “Toxicological and epidemiological data on human exposure to mercury in the Tapajos River basin: 1994–1998,” Environmental Science, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 99–105, 2003.
- M. D. C. N. Pinheiro, J. Nakanishi, T. Oikawa et al., “Methylmercury human exposure in riverine villages of Tapajos basin, Para State, Brazil,” Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 265–269, 2000.
- A. C. Barbosa, W. Jardim, J. G. Dórea, B. Fosberg, and J. Souza, “Hair mercury speciation as a function of gender, age, and body mass index in inhabitants of the negro river basin, amazon, brazil,” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 439–444, 2001.
- M. C. N. Pinheiro, M. E. Crespo-López, J. L. F. Vieira et al., “Mercury pollution and childhood in Amazon riverside villages,” Environment International, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 56–61, 2007.
- H. Akagi, Mercury Analysis Manual, Ministry of the Environmental, Tokyo, Japan, 2004.
- MINITAB Statistical Software, Release 14 for Windows, State College, Pa, US, 2003.
- S. F. Costa, Introdução ilustrada á estatística, harbra, São Paulo, Brazil, 3rd edition, 1998.
- M. C. N. Pinheiro, R. C. S. Müller, J. E. Sarkis et al., “Mercury and selenium concentrations in hair samples of women in fertile age from Amazon riverside communities,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 349, no. 1-3, pp. 284–288, 2005.
- M. C. N. Pinheiro, T. Oikawa, J. L. F. Vieira et al., “Comparative study of human exposure to mercury in riverside communities in the Amazon region,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 411–414, 2006.
- M. Lemire, D. Mergler, M. Fillion et al., “Elevated blood selenium levels in the Brazilian Amazon,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 366, no. 1, pp. 101–111, 2006.
- H. Akagi, O. Malm, F. J. P. Branches et al., “Human exposure to mercury due to goldmining in the Tapajos River basin, Amazon, Brazil: speciation of mercury in human hair, blood and urine,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 80, no. 1-4, pp. 85–94, 1995.
- US EPA, Methylmercury (MeHg) CASRN 22967-92-6. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Integrated Risk Information System, 1987.
- A. L. De Sá, A. M. Herculano, M. C. Pinheiro, L. C. L. Silveira, J. L. M. Do nascimento, and M. E. Crespo-López, “Human exposure to mercury in the west region of Pará State,” Revista Paraense de Medicina, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 2006.
- M. Yoshida, C. Watanabe, H. Satoh, T. Kishimoto, and Y. Yamamura, “Milk transfer and tissue uptake of mercury in suckling offspring after exposure of lactating maternal guinea pigs to inorganic or methylmercury,” Archives of Toxicology, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 174–178, 1994.
- A. Oskarsson, A. Schütz, S. Skerfving, I. P. Hallén, B. Ohlin, and B. J. Lagerkvist, “Total and inorganic mercury in breast milk and blood in relation to fish consumption and amalgam fillings in lactating women,” Archives of Environmental Health, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 234–241, 1996.
- M. Sakamoto, M. Kubota, S.-I. Matsumoto, A. Nakano, and H. Akagi, “Declining risk of methylmercury exposure to infants during lactation,” Environmental Research, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 185–189, 2002.
- S. Skerfving, “Mercury in women exposed to methylmercury through fish consumption, and in their newborn babies and breast milk,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 475–482, 1988.
- A. C. Barbosa and J. G. Dórea, “Indices of mercury contamination during breast feeding in the Amazon Basin,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 71–79, 1998.
- M. E. Crespo-lópez, G. L. Macêdo, S. I. D. Pereira, G. P. F. Arrifano, D. L. W. Picanço-diniz, J. L. M. Do Nascimento, et al., “Mercury and human genotoxicity: critical considerations and possible molecular mechanisms,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 60, pp. 212–220, 2009.
- J. J. B. Nevado, R. C. Rodríguez Martín-Doimeadios, F. J. Guzmán Bernardo et al., “Mercury in the Tapajós River basin, Brazilian Amazon: a review,” Environment International, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 593–608, 2010.
- O. Malm, F. J. P. Branches, H. Akagi et al., “Mercury and methylmercury in fish and human hair from the Tapajos river basin, Brazil,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 141–150, 1995.
- P. Grandjean, R. F. White, A. Nielsen, D. Cleary, and E. C. De Oliveira Santos, “Methylmercury neurotoxicity in Amazonian children downstream from gold mining,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 587–591, 1999.
- C. J. S. Passos and D. Mergler, “Human mercury exposure and adverse health effects in the Amazon: a review,” Cadernos de Saude Publica, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. S503–S520, 2008.