- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Biochemistry Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 914540, 16 pages
Penetration of Milk-Derived Antimicrobial Peptides into Phospholipid Monolayers as Model Biomembranes
1Jerzy Haber Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Niezapominajek Street 8,
30-239 Cracow, Poland
2UMR 7565 CNRS SRSMC, Université de Lorraine, Faculté des Sciences et Technologies, BP 239, 54506 Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy Cedex, France
3Department of Physical Chemistry and Electrochemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Jagiellonian University, Ingardena 3, 30-060 Cracow, Poland
Received 27 June 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 27 August 2013
Academic Editor: Vladimir Uversky
Copyright © 2013 Wanda Barzyk et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Zasloff, “Antimicrobial peptides of multicellular organisms,” Nature, vol. 415, pp. 389–395, 2002.
- A. Giuliani, G. Pirri, and S. F. Nicoletto, “Antimicrobial peptides: an overview of a promising class of therapeutics,” Central European Journal of Biology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–33, 2007.
- G. Wang, X. Li, and Z. Wang, “APD2: the updated antimicrobial peptide database and its application in peptide design,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 37, supplement 1, pp. D933–D937, 2009.
- D. W. Hoskin and A. Ramamoorthy, “Studies on anticancer activities of antimicrobial peptides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 2, pp. 357–375, 2008.
- K. Matsuzaki, “Control of cell selectivity of antimicrobial peptides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1788, no. 8, pp. 1687–1692, 2009.
- K. Matsuzaki, K.-I. Sugishita, N. Fujii, and K. Miyajima, “Molecular basis for membrane selectivity of an antimicrobial peptide, magainin 2,” Biochemistry, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 3423–3429, 1995.
- R. E. W. Hancock and H.-G. Sahl, “Antimicrobial and host-defense peptides as new anti-infective therapeutic strategies,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1551–1557, 2006.
- K. Lohner, “New strategies for novel antibiotics: peptides targeting bacterial cell membranes,” General Physiology and Biophysics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 105–116, 2009.
- K. Lohner and F. Prossnigg, “Biological activity and structural aspects of PGLa interaction with membrane mimetic systems,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1788, no. 8, pp. 1656–1666, 2009.
- N. Y. Yount, A. S. Bayer, Y. Q. Xiong, and M. R. Yeaman, “Advances in antimicrobial peptide immunobiology,” Biopolymers, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 435–458, 2006.
- M. R. Yeaman and N. Y. Yount, “Mechanisms of antimicrobial peptide action and resistance,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 27–55, 2003.
- H. W. Huang, “Molecular mechanism of antimicrobial peptides: the origin of cooperativity,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 9, pp. 1292–1302, 2006.
- H. Sato and J. B. Feix, “Peptide-membrane interactions and mechanisms of membrane destruction by amphipathic α-helical antimicrobial peptides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 9, pp. 1245–1256, 2006.
- K. A. Brogden, “Antimicrobial peptides: pore formers or metabolic inhibitors in bacteria?” Nature Reviews Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 238–250, 2005.
- N. Papo and Y. Shai, “Can we predict biological activity of antimicrobial peptides from their interactions with model phospholipid membranes?” Peptides, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1693–1703, 2003.
- Y. Shai, “Mechanism of the binding, insertion and destabilization of phospholipid bilayer membranes by α-helical antimicrobial and cell non-selective membrane-lytic peptides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1462, no. 1-2, pp. 55–70, 1999.
- N. Sitaram and R. Nagaraj, “The therapeutic potential of host-defense antimicrobial peptides,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 259–267, 2002.
- N. Sitaram and R. Nagaraj, “Host-defense antimicrobial peptides: importance of structure for activity,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 727–742, 2002.
- N. Sitaram and R. Nagaraj, “Interaction of antimicrobial peptides with biological and model membranes: structural and charge requirements for activity,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1462, no. 1-2, pp. 29–54, 1999.
- S. E. Blondelle, K. Lohner, and M.-I. Aguilar, “Lipid-induced conformation and lipid-binding properties of cytolytic and antimicrobial peptides: determination and biological specificity,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1462, no. 1-2, pp. 89–108, 1999.
- R. M. Epand and H. J. Vogel, “Diversity of antimicrobial peptides and their mechanisms of action,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1462, no. 1-2, pp. 11–28, 1999.
- E. F. Haney, H. N. Hunter, K. Matsuzaki, and H. J. Vogel, “Solution NMR studies of amphibian antimicrobial peptides: linking structure to function?” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1788, no. 8, pp. 1639–1655, 2009.
- S. Thennarasu, R. Huang, D.-K. Lee et al., “Limiting an antimicrobial peptide to the lipid-water interface enhances its bacterial membrane selectivity: a case study of MSI-367,” Biochemistry, vol. 49, no. 50, pp. 10595–10605, 2010.
- B. Hernández-Ledesma, I. Recio, and L. Amigo, “β-Lactoglobulin as source of bioactive peptides,” Amino Acids, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 257–265, 2008.
- A. Pellegrini, “Antimicrobial peptides from food proteins,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 9, no. 16, pp. 1225–1238, 2003.
- A. Pellegrini, U. Thomas, N. Bramaz, P. Hunziker, and R. Von Fellenberg, “Isolation and identification of three bactericidal domains in the bovine α-lactalbumin molecule,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1426, no. 3, pp. 439–448, 1999.
- I. López-Expósito, L. Amigo, and I. Recio, “Identification of the initial binding sites of αs2-casein f(183–207) and effect on bacterial membranes and cell morphology,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 10, pp. 2444–2449, 2008.
- I. Recio and I. López-Expósito, “Protective effect of milk peptides: antibacterial and antitumor properties,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 606, pp. 271–293, 2008.
- I. López Expósito and I. Recio, “Antibacterial activity of peptides and folding variants from milk proteins,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1294–1305, 2006.
- I. López-Expósito, F. Minervini, L. Amigo, and I. Recio, “Identification of antibacterial peptides from bovine κ-casein,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 2992–2997, 2006.
- I. Recio and S. Visser, “Identification of two distinct antibacterial domains within the sequence of bovine α(s2)-casein,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1428, no. 2-3, pp. 314–326, 1999.
- S. Campagna, A.-G. Mathot, Y. Fleury, J.-M. Girardet, and J.-L. Gaillard, “Antibacterial activity of lactophoricin, a synthetic 23-residues peptide derived from the sequence of bovine milk component-3 of proteose peptone,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1621–1626, 2004.
- S. Campagna, P. Cosette, G. Molle, and J.-L. Gaillard, “Evidence for membrane affinity of the C-terminal domain of bovine milk PP3 component,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1513, no. 2, pp. 217–222, 2001.
- S. Campagna, N. Van Mau, F. Heitz, G. Humbert, and J.-L. Gaillard, “Specific interaction between anionic phospholipids and milk bovine component PP3 and its 119-135 C-terminal fragment,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 299–309, 1999.
- N. Benkerroum, “Antimicrobial peptides generated from milk proteins: a survey and prospects for application in the food industry. A review,” International Journal of Dairy Technology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 320–338, 2010.
- M. Arseneault, S. Bédard, M. Boulet-Audet, and M. Pézolet, “Study of the interaction of lactoferricin B with phospholipid monolayers and bilayers,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 3468–3478, 2010.
- D. J. Schibli, P. M. Hwang, and H. J. Vogel, “The structure of the antimicrobial active center of lactoferricin B bound to sodium dodecyl sulfate micelles,” FEBS Letters, vol. 446, no. 2-3, pp. 213–217, 1999.
- S. Nakai, J. C. K. Chan, E. C. Y. Li-Chan, J. Dou, and M. Ogawa, “Homology similarity analysis of sequences of lactoferricin and its derivatives,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1215–1223, 2003.
- J. L. Gifford, H. N. Hunter, and H. J. Vogel, “Lactoferricin: a lactoferrin-derived peptide with antimicrobial, antiviral, antitumor and immunological properties,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 62, no. 22, pp. 2588–2598, 2005.
- T.-J. Park, J.-S. Kim, S.-S. Choi, and Y. Kim, “Cloning, expression, isotope labeling, purification, and characterization of bovine antimicrobial peptide, lactophoricin in Escherichia coli,” Protein Expression and Purification, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2009.
- T.-J. Park, J.-S. Kim, H.-C. Ahn, and Y. Kim, “Solution and solid-state NMR structural studies of antimicrobial peptides LPcin-I and LPcin-II,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 1193–1201, 2011.
- H. Brockman, “Lipid monolayers: why use half a membrane to characterize protein-membrane interactions?” Current Opinion in Structural Biology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 438–443, 1999.
- G. Brezezinski and H. Möhwald, “Langmuir monolayers to study interactions at model membrane surfaces,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 100–102, pp. 563–584, 2003.
- R. Volinsky, S. Kolusheva, A. Berman, and R. Jelinek, “Investigations of antimicrobial peptides in planar film systems,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 9, pp. 1393–1407, 2006.
- R. Volinsky, S. Kolusheva, A. Berman, and R. Jelinek, “Microscopic visualization of alamethicin incorporation into model membrane monolayers,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 25, pp. 11084–11091, 2004.
- D. Marsh, “Lateral pressure in membranes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1286, no. 3, pp. 183–223, 1996.
- P. Calvez, S. Bussières, E. D. Éric Demers, and C. Salesse, “Parameters modulating the maximum insertion pressure of proteins and peptides in lipid monolayers,” Biochimie, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 718–733, 2009.
- R. Maget-Dana, “The monolayer technique: a potent tool for studying the interfacial properties of antimicrobial and membrane-lytic peptides and their interactions with lipid membranes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1462, no. 1-2, pp. 109–140, 1999.
- R. Maget-Dana, C. Hetru, and M. Ptak, “Surface activity of the insect defensin A and its interactions with lipids in mixed monolayers,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 284-285, pp. 841–844, 1996.
- J.-P. Mattila, K. Sabatini, and P. K. J. Kinnunen, “Oxidized phospholipids as potential molecular targets for antimicrobial peptides,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 10, pp. 2041–2050, 2008.
- H. Zhao, R. Sood, A. Jutila et al., “Interaction of the antimicrobial peptide pheromone Plantaricin A with model membranes: implications for a novel mechanism of action,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1758, no. 9, pp. 1461–1474, 2006.
- F. Reig, P. Sospedra, A. Juvé, and L. Rodriguez, “Interaction of a laminin derived peptide with phosphatidyl choline/phosphatidyl glycerol,” Talanta, vol. 60, no. 2-3, pp. 591–600, 2003.
- N. Rubio, M. Pujol, M. Munoz, M. A. Alsina, I. Haro, and F. Reig, “Physicochemical study of laminin-related peptides,” Supramolecular Science, vol. 4, no. 3-4, pp. 449–453, 1997.
- A. Kouzayha and F. Besson, “GPI-alkaline phosphatase insertion into phosphatidylcholine monolayers: phase behavior and morphology changes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 333, no. 4, pp. 1315–1321, 2005.
- M. F. Martini and E. A. Disalvo, “Superficially active water in lipid membranes and its influence on the interaction of an aqueous soluble protease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1768, no. 10, pp. 2541–2548, 2007.
- S. Mukhopadhyay and W. Cho, “Interactions of annexin V with phospholipid monolayers,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1279, no. 1, pp. 58–62, 1996.
- D. Trommeshauser, S. Krol, L. D. Bergelson, and H.-J. Galla, “The effect of lipid composition and physical state of phospholipid monolayer on the binding and incorporation of a basic amphipathic peptide from the C-terminal region of the HIV envelope protein gp41,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 83–92, 2000.
- K. Weroński, M. A. Busquets, V. Girona, and J. Prat, “Influence of lipidation of GBV-C/HGV NS3 (513–522) and (505–514) peptide sequences on its interaction with mono and bilayers,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 8–16, 2007.
- F. Reig, A. Juvé, P. Sospedra, and L. Rodríguez, “Hydrophobic peptide interactions with phospholipids,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 249, no. 1–3, pp. 15–18, 2004.
- M. A. Alsina, A. Ortiz, D. Polo, F. Comelles, and F. Reig, “Synthesis and study of molecular interactions between phosphatidyl choline and two laminin derived peptides hydrophobically modified,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 294, no. 2, pp. 385–390, 2006.
- V. Caël, A. Van der Heyden, D. Champmartin, W. Barzyk, P. Rubini, and E. Rogalska, “Interfacial approach to aluminum toxicity: interactions of Al(III) and Pr(III) with model phospholipid bilayer and monolayer membranes,” Langmuir, vol. 19, no. 21, pp. 8697–8708, 2003.
- J. Miňones Jr., J. M. Rodríguez Patino, O. Conde, C. Carrera, and R. Seoane, “The effect of polar groups on structural characteristics of phospholipid monolayers spread at the air-water interface,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 203, no. 1–3, pp. 273–286, 2002.
- D. Vollhardt and V. B. Fainerman, “Penetration of dissolved amphiphiles into two-dimensional aggregating lipid monolayers,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 103–151, 2000.
- V. B. Fainerman and D. Vollhardt, “Penetration of Langmuir monolayers by soluble amphiphilic molecules,” Langmuir, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 1784–1790, 1999.
- J. Miñones Jr., P. Dynarowicz-Ł̧tka, J. Miñones, J. M. Rodriguez Patino, and E. Iribarnegaray, “Orientational changes in dipalmitoyl phosphatidyl glycerol Langmuir monolayers,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 265, no. 2, pp. 380–385, 2003.
- E. Saint Martin, O. Konovalov, and J. Daillant, “Studies of phospholipid monolayer at liquid/liquid interface in presence of an antimicrobial peptide,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 515, no. 14, pp. 5687–5690, 2007.
- D. Vollhardt, V. B. Fainerman, and S. Siegel, “Thermodynamic and textural characterization of DPPG phospholipid monolayers,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 104, no. 17, pp. 4115–4121, 2000.
- P. Garidel and A. Blume, “1,2-Dimyristoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphoglycerol (DMPG) monolayers: influence of temperature, pH, ionic strength and binding of alkaline earth cations,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 138, no. 1-2, pp. 50–59, 2005.
- D. Grigoriev, R. Miller, R. Wüstneck, N. Wüstneck, U. Pison, and H. Möhwald, “A novel method to evaluate the phase transition thermodynamics of Langmuir monolayers. Application to DPPG monolayers affected by subphase composition,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 107, no. 51, pp. 14283–14288, 2003.
- D. Grigoriev, R. Krustev, R. Miller, and U. Pison, “Effect of monovalent ions on the monolayers phase behavior of the charged lipid DPPG,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 1013–1018, 1999.
- A. Dicko, H. Bourque, and M. Pézolet, “Study by infrared spectroscopy of the conformation of dipalmitoylphosphatidylglycerol monolayers at the air-water interface and transferred on solid substrates,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 96, no. 1-2, pp. 125–139, 1998.
- H. Nakahara, S. Nakamura, S. Lee, G. Sugihara, and O. Shibata, “Influence of a new amphiphilic peptide with phospholipid monolayers at the air-water interface,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 270-271, no. 1–3, pp. 52–60, 2005.
- A. Bellomio, R. G. Oliveira, B. Maggio, and R. D. Morero, “Penetration and interactions of the antimicrobial peptide, microcin J25, into uncharged phospholipid monolayers,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 285, no. 1, pp. 118–124, 2005.
- E. E. Ambroggio, F. Separovic, J. Bowie, and G. D. Fidelio, “Surface behaviour and peptide-lipid interactions of the antibiotic peptides, Maculatin and Citropin,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1664, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2004.
- W. Barzyk, S. Campagna, K. Wiecław, B. Korchowiec, and E. Rogalska, “The affinity of two antimicrobial peptides derived from bovine milk proteins for model lipid membranes,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 343, no. 1–3, pp. 104–110, 2009.
- F. Neville, O. Konovalov, and D. Gidalevitz, “A comparative study on the interactions of SMAP-29 with lipid monolayers,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1798, pp. 851–860, 2010.
- F. Neville, M. Cahuzac, O. Konovalov, et al., “Lipid headgroup discrimination by antimicrobial peptide LL-37: insight into mechanism of action,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 90, pp. 1275–1287, 2006.
- D. M. Taylor, “Developments in the theoretical modelling and experimental measurement of the surface potential of condensed monolayers,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 87, no. 2-3, pp. 183–203, 2000.
- P. Dynarowicz, “Recent developments in the modeling of the monolayers structure at the water/air interface,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 45, pp. 215–241, 1993.
- V. Vogel and D. Möbius, “Local surface potentials and electric dipole moments of lipid monolayers: contributions of the water/lipid and the lipid/air interfaces,” Journal of Colloid And Interface Science, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 408–420, 1988.
- J. T. Davies and E. K. Rideal, Interfacial Phenomena, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1963.
- D. Vollhardt and V. B. Fainerman, “Progress in characterization of Langmuir monolayers by consideration of compressibility,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 83–97, 2006.
- W. Barzyk and J. Vuorinen, “Application of the vibrating plate (VP) technique to measuring electric surface potential, ΔV, of solutions; the flow cell for simultaneous measurement of the ΔV and the surface pressure, Π,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 385, no. 1–3, pp. 1–10, 2011.
- G. T. Barnes, “The equilibrium penetration of monolayers. Is equilibrium really established?” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 190, no. 1-2, pp. 145–151, 2001.
- G. T. Barnes, G. A. Lawrie, and K. Walker, “Equilibrium penetration of monolayers. 9. A comparison of treatments for analyzing surface-pressure-area data,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 2148–2153, 1998.
- J. B. Li, J. Krägel, A. V. Makiewski, V. B. Finerman, R. Miller, and H. Möhwald, “A study of mixed phospholipid/β-casein monolayers at the water/air interface,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 142, pp. 355–360, 1998.
- S. R. Dennison, L. H. G. Morton, F. Harris, and D. A. Phoenix, “The impact of membrane lipid composition on antimicrobial function of an α-helical peptide,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 151, no. 2, pp. 92–102, 2008.
- S. R. Dennison, F. Harris, and D. A. Phoenix, “Are oblique orientated α-helices used by antimicrobial peptides for membrane invasion?” Protein and Peptide Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 27–29, 2005.
- J. Zhao, D. Vollhardt, G. Brezesinski et al., “Effect of protein penetration into phospholipid monolayers: morphology and structure,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 171, no. 1–3, pp. 175–184, 2000.
- V. B. Fainerman, J. Zhao, D. Vollhardt, A. V. Makievski, and J. B. Li, “Dynamics of β-Lactoglobulin penetration into Langmuir monolayers of 2D condensating phospholipid,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 103, no. 42, pp. 8998–9007, 1999.
- V. Krishnakumari and R. Nagaraj, “Interaction of antibacterial peptides spanning the carboxy-terminal region of human β-defensins 1–3 with phospholipids at the air-water interface and inner membrane of E. coli,” Peptides, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 7–14, 2008.