- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Critical Care Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 291628, 7 pages
Lung Function before and Two Days after Open-Heart Surgery
1Physiotherapy, Department of Neuroscience, Uppsala University, 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
2School of Health and Medical Sciences, Örebro University, 701 82 Örebro, Sweden
3Clinical Physiology, Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University, 751 05 Uppsala, Sweden
4Respiratory Medicine and Allergology, Department of Medical Sciences, Uppsala University, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Received 23 March 2012; Revised 14 June 2012; Accepted 17 June 2012
Academic Editor: Samuel A. Tisherman
Copyright © 2012 Charlotte Urell et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. C. S. Baumgarten, G. K. Garcia, M. H. Frantzeski et al., “Pain and pulmonary function in patients submitted to heart surgery via sternotomy,” Brazilian Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 497–505, 2009.
- M. Bonacchi, E. Prifti, G. Giunti, A. Salica, G. Frati, and G. Sani, “Respiratory dysfunction after coronary artery bypass grafting employing bilateral internal mammary arteries: the influence of intact pleura,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 827–833, 2001.
- S. Canbaz, N. Turgut, U. Halici, K. Balci, T. Ege, and E. Duran, “Electrophysiological evaluation of phrenic nerve injury during cardiac surgery—a prospective, controlled, clinical study,” BMC Surgery, vol. 4, no. 2, article 2, 2004.
- P. Massoudy, S. Zahler, B. F. Becket, S. L. Braun, A. Barankay, and H. Meisner, “Evidence for inflammatory responses of the lungs during coronary artery bypass grafting with cardiopulmonary bypass,” Chest, vol. 119, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2001.
- D. J. Nicholson, S. E. Kowalski, G. A. Hamilton, M. P. Meyers, C. Serrette, and P. C. Duke, “Postoperative pulmonary function in coronary artery bypass graft surgery patients undergoing early tracheal extubation: a comparison between short-term mechanical ventilation and early extubation,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 2002.
- P. Matte, L. Jacquet, M. Van Dyck, and M. Goenen, “Effects of conventional physiotherapy, continuous positive airway pressure and non-invasive ventilatory support with bilevel positive airway pressure after coronary artery bypass grafting,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 75–81, 2000.
- Z. Shenkman, Y. Shir, Y. G. Weiss, B. Bleiberg, and D. Gross, “The effects of cardiac surgery on early and late pulmonary functions,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 1193–1199, 1997.
- E. Westerdahl, B. Lindmark, I. Bryngelsson, and A. Tenling, “Pulmonary function 4 months after coronary artery bypass graft surgery,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 317–322, 2003.
- T. Hachenberg, A. Tenling, H. E. Hansson, H. Tydén, and G. Hedenstierna, “The ventilation-perfusion relation and gas exchange in mitral valve disease ana coronary artery disease implications for anesthesia, extracorporeal circulation, and cardiac surgery,” Anesthesiology, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 809–817, 1997.
- A. Tenling, T. Hachenberg, H. Tydén, G. Wegenius, and G. Hedenstierna, “Atelectasis and gas exchange after cardiac surgery,” Anesthesiology, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 371–378, 1998.
- E. Westerdahl, B. Lindmark, T. Eriksson, G. Hedenstierna, and A. Tenling, “The immediate effects of deep breathing exercises on atelectasis and oxygenation after cardiac surgery,” Scandinavian Cardiovascular Journal, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 363–367, 2003.
- E. H. J. Hulzebos, N. L. U. Van Meeteren, R. A. De Bie, P. C. Dagnelie, and P. J. M. Helders, “Prediction of postoperative pulmonary complications on the basis of preoperative risk factors in patients who had undergone coronary artery bypass graft surgery,” Physical Therapy, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 8–16, 2003.
- G. W. Smetana, V. A. Lawrence, and J. E. Cornell, “Preoperative pulmonary risk stratification for noncardiothoracic surgery: systematic review for the American College of Physicians,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 144, no. 8, pp. 581–595, 2006.
- M. P. Haeffener, G. M. Ferreira, S. S. M. Barreto, R. Arena, and P. Dall'Ago, “Incentive spirometry with expiratory positive airway pressure reduces pulmonary complications, improves pulmonary function and 6-minute walk distance in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery,” American Heart Journal, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 900.e1–900.e8, 2008.
- A. H. Herdy, P. L. B. Marcchi, A. Vila et al., “Pre- and postoperative cardiopulmonary rehabilitation in hospitalized patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery a randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 714–719, 2008.
- J. A. Renault, R. Costa-Val, and M. B. Rossetti, “Respiratory physiotherapy in the pulmonary dysfunction after cardiac surgery,” Brazilian Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 562–569, 2008.
- E. Westerdahl, B. Lindmark, T. Eriksson, O. Friberg, G. Hedenstierna, and A. Tenling, “Deep-breathing exercises reduce atelectasis and improve pulmonary function after coronary artery bypass surgery,” Chest, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 3482–3488, 2005.
- C. Urell, M. Emtner, H. Hedenstrom, A. Tenling, M. Breidenskog, and E. Westerdahl, “Deep breathing exercises with positive expiratory pressure at a higher rate improve oxygenation in the early period after cardiac surgery—a randomised controlled trial,” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 162–167, 2011.
- H. Hedenstrom, P. Malmberg, and K. Agarwal, “Reference values for lung function tests in females. Regression equations with smoking variables,” Clinical Respiratory Physiology, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 551–557, 1985.
- H. Hedenstrom, P. Malmberg, and H. V. Fridriksson, “Reference values for lung function tests in men: regression equations with smoking variables,” Upsala Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 299–310, 1986.
- A. Williamson and B. Hoggart, “Pain: a review of three commonly used pain rating scales,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 798–804, 2005.
- A. B. Sasseron, L. C. de Figueiredo, K. Trova et al., “Does the pain disturb the respiratory function after heart surgeries?” Brazilian Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 490–496, 2009.
- H. Akdur, Z. Yioit, A. B. Sözen, T. Çaoatay, and Ö. Güven, “Comparison of pre- and postoperative pulmonary function in obese and non-obese female patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft surgery,” Respirology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 761–766, 2006.
- S. C. Jenkins and J. Moxham, “The effects of mild obesity on lung function,” Respiratory Medicine, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 309–311, 1991.
- T. S. O. Kurki and M. Kataja, “Preoperative prediction of postoperative morbidity in coronary artery bypass grafting,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1740–1745, 1996.
- H. Manganas, Y. Lacasse, S. Bourgeois, J. Perron, F. Dagenais, and F. Maltais, “Postoperative outcome after coronary artery bypass grafting in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Canadian Respiratory Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2007.
- L. B. Milgrom, J. A. Brooks, R. Qi, K. Bunnell, S. Wuestefeld, and D. Beckman, “Pain levels experienced with activities after cardiac surgery,” American Journal of Critical Care, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 116–125, 2004.
- X. M. Mueller, F. Tinguely, H. T. Tevaearai, J. P. Revelly, R. Chioléro, and L. K. Von Segesser, “Pain location, distribution, and intensity after cardiac surgery,” Chest, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 391–396, 2000.
- R. H. Bartlett, A. B. Gazzaniga, and T. R. Geraghty, “Respiratory maneuvers to prevent postoperative pulmonary complications. A critical review,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 224, no. 7, pp. 1017–1021, 1973.
- H. Wrigge, U. Uhlig, J. Zinserling et al., “The effects of different ventilatory settings on pulmonary and systemic inflammatory responses during major surgery,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 775–781, 2004.