- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Critical Care Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 861867, 6 pages
Value of Chest Radiographic Pattern in RSV Disease of the Newborn: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study
1Division of Neonatology, São João Hospital, Alameda Prof. Hernâni Monteiro, 4200-319 Porto, Portugal
2Division of Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care, Santo António General Hospital, 4099-001 Porto, Portugal
3Unit of Neonatology, Júlio Dinis Maternity, 4050-371 Porto, Portugal
4Unit of Neonatology, M
5Unit of Neonatology, Vila Nova de Gaia Hospital, 4434-502 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
6Unit of Neonatology, Pedro Hispano Hospital, 4454-509 Matosinhos, Portugal
7Unit of Neonatology, Senhora da Oliveira Hospital, 4835-044 Guimarães, Portugal
8Division of Neonatology, Braga Hospital, 4710-243 Braga, Portugal
Received 31 August 2012; Revised 10 November 2012; Accepted 11 November 2012
Academic Editor: Anton van Kaam
Copyright © 2012 Américo Gonçalves et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Leader, K. Kohlhase, M. H. Pearlman, J. V. Williams, and W. A. Engle, “Recent trends in severe respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) among US infants, 1997 to 2000,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 143, no. 5, pp. S127–S132, 2003.
- A. Greenough, “Role of ventilation in RSV disease: CPAP, ventilation, HFO, ECMO,” Paediatric Respiratory Reviews, vol. 10, supplement 1, pp. 26–28, 2009.
- J. Eriksson, T. Nordshus, and K. H. Carlsen, “Radiological findings in children with respiratory syncytial virus infection: relationship to clinical and bacteriological findings,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 120–122, 1986.
- C. P. Black, “Systematic review of the biology and medical management of respiratory syncytial virus infection,” Respiratory Care, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 209–231, 2003.
- I. Rakshi and J. M. Couriel, “Management of acute bronchiolitis,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 463–469, 1994.
- P. Pezzotti, J. Mantovani, N. Benincori, E. Mucchino, and D. Di Lallo, “Incidence and risk factors of hospitalization for bronchiolitis in preterm children: a retrospective longitudinal study in Italy,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 9, article 1471, pp. 56–66, 2009.
- I. Fodha, A. Vabret, L. Ghedira et al., “Respiratory syncytial virus infections in hospitalized infants: association between viral load, virus subgroup, and disease severity,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 79, no. 12, pp. 1951–1958, 2007.
- S. Joffe, G. J. Escobar, S. B. Black, M. A. Armstrong, and T. A. Lieu, “Rehospitalization for respiratory syncytial virus among premature infants,” Pediatrics, vol. 104, no. 4 I, pp. 894–899, 1999.
- C. B. Hall, “Respiratory syncytial virus: a continuing culprit and conundrum,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. S2–S7, 1999.
- E. E. L. Wang, B. J. Law, and D. Stephens, “Pediatric investigators collaborative network on infections in Canada (PICNIC) prospective study of risk factors and outcomes in patients hospitalized with respiratory syncytial viral lower respiratory tract infection,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 212–219, 1995.
- K. Meert, S. Heidemann, B. Abella, and A. Sarnaik, “Does prematurity alter the course of respiratory syncytial virus infection?” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1357–1359, 1990.
- S. Kern, M. Uhl, R. Berner, T. Schwoerer, and M. Langer, “Respiratory syncytial virus infection of the lower respiratory tract: radiological findings in 108 children,” European Radiology, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 2581–2584, 2001.
- B. Friis, M. Eiken, A. Hornsleth, and A. Jensen, “Chest X-ray appearances in pneumonia and bronchiolitis. Correlation to virological diagnosis and secretory bacterial findings,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 219–225, 1990.
- M. C. J. Kneyber, K. G. M. Moons, R. De Groot, and H. A. Moll, “Predictors of a normal chest x-ray in respiratory syncytial virus infection,” Pediatric Pulmonology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 277–283, 2001.
- P. Papoff, C. Moretti, G. Cangiano et al., “Incidence and predisposing factors for severe disease in previously healthy term infants experiencing their first episode of bronchiolitis,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 100, no. 7, pp. e17–e23, 2011.
- P. Prodhan, S. J. Westra, J. Lin, S. Karni-Sharoor, S. Regan, and N. Noviski, “Chest radiological patterns predict the duration of mechanical ventilation in children with RSV infection,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 117–123, 2009.
- R. C. Tasker, I. Gordon, and K. Kiff, “Time course of severe respiratory syncytial virus infection in mechanically ventilated infants,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 938–941, 2000.
- A. H. Jobe and E. Bancalari, “NICHD/ NHLBI/ORD Workshop summary—Bronchopulmonary dysplasia,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 163, pp. 1723–1729, 2001.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases and Committee on Fetus and Newborn, “Revised indications for the use of palivizumab and respiratory syncytial virus immune globulin intravenous for the prevention of respiratory syncytial virus infections,” Pediatrics, vol. 112, no. 6 I, pp. 1442–1446, 2003.