- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Critical Care Research and Practice
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 869237, 9 pages
Variability in Uremic Control during Continuous Venovenous Hemodiafiltration in Trauma Patients
1Division of Emergencies and Critical Care, Department of Anesthesiology, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4956 Nydalen, 0424 Oslo, Norway
2Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, P.O. Box 1072 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
3Department of Informatics, Oslo Hospital Services, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4956 Nydalen, 0424 Oslo, Norway
4Division of Medicine, Department of Nephrology, Oslo University Hospital, P.O. Box 4956 Nydalen, 0424 Oslo, Norway
Received 8 December 2011; Revised 12 February 2012; Accepted 27 February 2012
Academic Editor: Olivier Joannes-Boyau
Copyright © 2012 Sigrid Beitland et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. Piccinni, D. N. Cruz, S. Gramaticopolo, F. Garzotto, M. Dal Santo, and G. Aneloni, “Prospective multicenter study on epidemiology of acute kidney injury in the ICU: a critical care nephrology Italian collaborative effort (NEFROINT),” Minerva Anestesiologica, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1072–1083, 2011.
- S. M. Bagshaw, “The long-term outcome after acute renal failure,” Current Opinion in Critical Care, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 561–566, 2006.
- M. McCunn, H. N. Reynolds, J. Reuter, K. McQuillan, T. McCourt, and D. Stein, “Continuous renal replacement therapy in patients following traumatic injury,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 166–186, 2006.
- S. M. Bagshaw, L. R. Berthiaume, A. Delaney, and R. Bellomo, “Continuous versus intermittent renal replacement therapy for critically ill patients with acute kidney injury: a meta-analysis,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 610–617, 2008.
- N. Ghahramani, S. Shadrou, and C. Hollenbeak, “A systematic review of continuous renal replacement therapy and intermittent haemodialysis in management of patients with acute renal failure,” Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 570–578, 2008.
- K. Rabindranath, J. Adams, A. M. MacLeod, and N. Muirhead, “Intermittent versus continuous renal replacement therapy for acute renal failure in adults,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 3, Article ID CD003773, 2007.
- N. Pannu, S. Klarenbach, N. Wiebe, B. Manns, and M. Tonelli, “Renal replacement therapy in patients with acute renal failure: a systematic review,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 299, no. 7, pp. 793–805, 2008.
- A. Zarbock, K. Singbartl, and J. A. Kellum, “Evidence-based renal replacement therapy for acute kidney injury,” Minerva Anestesiologica, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 135–139, 2009.
- V. F. Seabra, E. M. Balk, O. Liangos, M. A. Sosa, M. Cendoroglo, and B. L. Jaber, “Timing of renal replacement therapy initiation in acute renal failure: a meta-analysis,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 272–284, 2008.
- P. M. Palevsky, “Intensity of continuous renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury,” Seminars in Dialysis, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 151–154, 2009.
- R. Van Wert, J. O. Friedrich, D. C. Scales, R. Wald, and N. K. J. Adhikari, “High-dose renal replacement therapy for acute kidney injury: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1360–1369, 2010.
- N. Fealy, I. Baldwin, and R. Bellomo, “The effect of circuit “down-time” on uraemic control during continuous veno-venous haemofiltration,” Critical Care and Resuscitation, vol. 4, pp. 266–270, 2002.
- S. Uchino, N. Fealy, I. Baldwin, H. Morimatsu, and R. Bellomo, “Continuous is not continuous: the incidence and impact of circuit “down-time” on uraemic control during continuous veno-venous haemofiltration,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 575–578, 2003.
- S. Vesconi, D. N. Cruz, R. Fumagalli et al., “Delivered dose of renal replacement therapy and mortality in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury,” Critical Care, vol. 13, no. 2, article R57, 2009.
- S. Pollinder, J. A. Haagsma, H. Toet, M. J. Brugmans, and E. F. van Beeck, “EUROCOST and APOLLO reference groups. Burden of injury in childhood and adolescence in 8 European countries,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, pp. 45–52, 2010.
- S. Uchino, J. A. Kellum, R. Bellomo et al., “Acute renal failure in critically ill patients: a multinational, multicenter study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 294, no. 7, pp. 813–818, 2005.
- G. Vivino, M. Antonelli, M. L. Moro et al., “Risk factors for acute renal failure in trauma patients,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 808–814, 1998.
- S. G. Holt and K. P. Moore, “Pathogenesis and treatment of renal dysfunction in rhabdomyolysis,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 803–811, 2001.
- S. Beitland, H. Moen, and I. Os, “Acute kidney injury with renal replacement therapy in trauma patients,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 833–840, 2010.
- J. R. Le Gall, S. Lemeshow, and F. Saulnier, “A new Simplified Acute Physiology Score (SAPS II) based on a European/North American multicenter study,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 270, no. 24, pp. 2957–2963, 1993.
- S. P. Baker, B. O'Neill, W. Haddon Jr., and W. B. Long, “The injury severity score: a method for describing patients with multiple injuries and evaluating emergency care,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 187–196, 1974.
- A. L. Huerta-Alardín, J. Varon, and P. E. Marik, “Bench-to-bedside review: rhabdomyolysis—an overview for clinicians,” Critical Care, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 158–169, 2005.
- L. D. Plank and G. L. Hill, “Sequential metabolic changes following induction of systemic inflammatory response in patients with severe sepsis or major blunt trauma,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 630–638, 2000.
- H. M. Oudemans-van Straaten, “Citrate anticoagulation for continuous renal replacement therapy in the critically ill,” Blood Purification, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 191–196, 2010.
- R. Cirocchi, I. Abraha, A. Montedori et al., “Damage control surgery for abdominal trauma.,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, Article ID CD007438, 2010.
- J. B. Dormagen, A. Totterman, O. Roise, L. Sandvik, and N. E. Klow, “Efficacy of plain radiography and computer tomography in localizing the site of pelvic arterial bleeding in trauma patients,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 51, pp. 107–116, 2010.
- C. Gaarder, J. B. Dormagen, T. Eken et al., “Nonoperative management of splenic injuries: improved results with angioembolization,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 192–198, 2006.
- C. Gaarder, P. A. Naess, T. Eken et al., “Liver injuries-Improved results with a formal protocol including angiography,” Injury, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1075–1083, 2007.
- D. R. Townsend, S. M. Bagshaw, M. J. Jacka, D. Bigam, D. Cave, and R. T. N. Gibney, “Intraoperative renal support during liver transplantation,” Liver Transplantation, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 73–78, 2009.
- R. Bellomo, “Acute kidney injury: the Italian perspective,” Minerva Anestesiologica, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1034–1036, 2011.
- O. Liangos, M. Rao, R. Ruthazer et al., “Factors associated with urea reduction ratio in acute renal failure,” Artificial Organs, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1076–1081, 2004.
- R. Vanholder, R. De Smet, G. Glorieux et al., “Review on uremic toxins: classification, concentration, and interindividual variability,” Kidney International, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1934–1943, 2003.
- J. J. Gatward, G. J. Gibbon, G. Wrathall, and A. Padkin, “Renal replacement therapy for acute renal failure: a survey of practice in adult intensive care units in the United Kingdom,” Anaesthesia, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 959–966, 2008.
- S. Uchino, R. Bellomo, H. Morimatsu et al., “Continuous renal replacement therapy: a worldwide practice survey: the beginning and ending supportive therapy for the kidney (B.E.S.T. Kidney) investigators,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1563–1570, 2007.
- R. Bellomo, A. Cass, L. Cole, S. Finfer, M. Gallagher, and D. Goldsmith, “Renal replacement therapy for acute kidney injury in Australian and New Zealand intensive care units: a practice survey,” Critical Care and Resuscitation, vol. 10, pp. 225–230, 2008.