- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Critical Care Research and Practice
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 975672, 8 pages
Validation of Computerized Automatic Calculation of the Sequential Organ Failure Assessment Score
1Medical Scientist Training Program, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
2Multidisciplinary Epidemiology and Translational Research in Intensive Care (METRIC), Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
3Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
4Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
5Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 12 June 2013; Accepted 18 June 2013
Academic Editor: Marcus J. Schultz
Copyright © 2013 Andrew M. Harrison et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. A. Knaus, J. E. Zimmerman, D. P. Wagner, E. A. Draper, and D. E. Lawrence, “APACHE-acute physiology and chronic health evaluation: a physiologically based classification system,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 591–597, 1981.
- J. E. Zimmerman, A. A. Kramer, D. S. McNair, and F. M. Malila, “Acute physiology and chronic health evaluation (APACHE) IV: hospital mortality assessment for today's critically ill patients,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 1297–1310, 2006.
- J.-R. Le Gall, P. Loirat, and A. Alperovitch, “A simplified acute physiology score for ICU patients,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 975–977, 1984.
- S. Lemeshow, D. Teres, and H. Pastides, “A method for predicting survival and mortality of ICU patients using objectively derived weights,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 519–525, 1985.
- J.-L. Vincent, R. Moreno, J. Takala et al., “The SOFA (Sepsis-related Organ Failure Assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 707–710, 1996.
- F. Lopes Ferreira, D. Peres Bota, A. Bross, C. Mélot, and J.-L. Vincent, “Serial evaluation of the SOFA score to predict outcome in critically ill patients,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 14, pp. 1754–1758, 2001.
- A. Alsara, D. O. Warner, G. Li, V. Herasevich, O. Gajic, and D. J. Kor, “Derivation and validation of automated electronic search strategies to identify pertinent risk factors for postoperative acute lung injury,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 382–388, 2011.
- S. Chandra, D. Agarwal, A. Hanson et al., “The use of an electronic medical record based automatic calculation tool to quantify risk of unplanned readmission to the intensive care unit: a validation study,” Journal of Critical Care, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 634.e9–634.e15, 2011.
- A. Junger, J. Engel, M. Benson et al., “Discriminative power on mortality of a modified sequential organ failure assessment score for complete automatic computation in an operative intensive care unit,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 338–342, 2002.
- J. M. Engel, A. Junger, M. Zimmer et al., “Correlation of a computerized SOFA score and derived measures with length of stay at an operative ICU,” Anasthesiologie Intensivmedizin Notfallmedizin Schmerztherapie, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 397–402, 2003.
- J. L. Nates, M. Cárdenas-Turanzas, C. Wakefield et al., “Automating and simplifying the SOFA score in critically ill patients with cancer,” Health Informatics Journal, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 35–47, 2010.
- J. L. Nates, M. Cárdenas-Turanzas, J. Ensor, C. Wakefield, S. K. Wallace, and K. J. Price, “Cross-validation of a modified score to predict mortality in cancer patients admitted to the intensive care unit,” Journal of Critical Care, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 388–394, 2011.
- D. A. Zygun, K. B. Laupland, G. H. Fick, J. D. Sandham, and C. J. Doig, “Limited ability of SOFA and MOD scores to discriminate outcome: a prospective evaluation in 1,436 patients,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 302–308, 2005.
- M. Thomas, C. Bourdeaux, Z. Evans, D. Bryant, R. Greenwood, and T. Gould, “Validation of a computerised system to calculate the sequential organ failure assessment score,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 37, no. 3, p. 557, 2011.
- V. Herasevich, B. W. Pickering, Y. Dong, S. G. Peters, and O. Gajic, “Informatics infrastructure for syndrome surveillance, decision support, reporting, and modeling of critical illness,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 2010.
- D. Blumenthal, C. DesRoches, K. Donelan, et al., Health Information Technology in the United States: The Information Base for Progress, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2006.
- A. K. Jha, C. M. DesRoches, E. G. Campbell, et al., “Use of electronic health records in U.S. hospitals,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 360, no. 16, pp. 1628–1638, 2009.
- B. W. Pickering, V. Herasevich, A. Ahmed, and O. Gajic, “Novel representation of clinical information in the ICU—developing user interfaces which reduce information overload,” Applied Clinical Informatics, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 116–131, 2010.
- A. Ahmed, S. Chandra, V. Herasevich, O. Gajic, and B. W. Pickering, “The effect of two different electronic health record user interfaces on intensive care provider task load, errors of cognition, and performance,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1626–1634, 2011.
- J. M. Bland and D. G. Altman, “Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8476, pp. 307–310, 1986.
- P. S. Myles and J. Cui, “I. Using the Bland-Altman method to measure agreement with repeated measures,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 309–311, 2007.
- L. M. Chen, C. M. Martin, T. L. Morrison, and W. J. Sibbald, “Interobserver variability in data collection of the APACHE II score in teaching and community hospitals,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1999–2004, 1999.
- M. Suistomaa, A. Kari, E. Ruokonen, and J. Takala, “Sampling rate causes bias in APACHE II and SAPS II scores,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1773–1778, 2000.
- T. W. Felton, R. Sander, M. Al-Aloul, P. Dark, and A. M. Bentley, “Can a score derived from the critical care minimum data set be used as a marker of organ dysfunction? A pilot study,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 2, article 77, 2009.
- B. A. Stewart, S. Fernandes, E. Rodriguez-Huertas, and M. Landzberg, “A preliminary look at duplicate testing associated with lack of electronic health record interoperability for transferred patients,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 341–344, 2010.
- A. Wright, D. F. Sittig, J. S. Ash, S. Sharma, J. E. Pang, and B. Middleton, “Clinical decision support capabilities of commercially-available clinical information systems,” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 637–644, 2009.