- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Child Development Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 909508, 9 pages
Comorbidity and Family Factors Associated with Selective Mutism
1Department of Psychology, Boston University, 648 Beacon Street, 6th Floor, Boston, MA 02148, USA
2Department of Psychology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33146, USA
Received 23 August 2010; Accepted 15 December 2010
Academic Editor: Glenda Andrews
Copyright © 2011 Brian A. Buzzella et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 4th edition, 2000.
- S. Bradley and L. Sloman, “Elective mutism in immigrant families,” Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 510–514, 1975.
- K. Kumpulainen, E. Räsänen, H. Raaska, and V. Somppi, “Selective mutism among second-graders in elementary school,” European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 24–29, 1998.
- K. Kumpulainen, “Phenomenology and treatment of selective mutism,” CNS Drugs, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 175–180, 2002.
- C. E. Cunningham, A. McHolm, M. H. Boyle, and S. Patel, “Behavioral and emotional adjustment, family functioning, academic performance, and social relationships in children with selective mutism,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1363–1372, 2004.
- A. G. Viana, D. C. Beidel, and B. Rabian, “Selective mutism: a review and integration of the last 15 years,” Clinical Psychology Review, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 57–67, 2009.
- H. C. Steinhausen, M. Wachter, K. Laimböck, and C. W. Metzke, “A long-term outcome study of selective mutism in childhood,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, vol. 47, no. 7, pp. 751–756, 2006.
- K. D. Anstendig, “Is selective mutism an anxiety disorder? Rethinking its DSM-IV classification,” Journal of Anxiety Disorders, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 417–434, 1999.
- H. Kristensen, “Multiple informants' report of emotional and behavioural problems in a nation-wide sample of selective mute children and controls,” European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 135–142, 2001.
- E. S. Dummit, R. G. Klein, N. K. Tancer, B. Asche, J. Martin, and J. A. Fairbanks, “Systematic assessment of 50 children with selective mutism,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 653–660, 1997.
- S. L. Cohan, D. A. Chavira, E. Shipon-Blum, C. Hitchcock, S. C. Roesch, and M. B. Stein, “Refining the classification of children with selective mutism: a latent profile analysis,” Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 770–784, 2008.
- S. P. Dow, B. C. Sonies, D. Scheib, S. E. Moss, and H. L. Leonard, “Practical guidelines for the assessment and treatment of selective mutism,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 836–846, 1995.
- S. Baskind, “A behavioural intervention for selective mutism in an eight-year-old boy,” Educational and Child Psychology, vol. 24, pp. 87–94, 2007.
- B. J. Fisak, A. Oliveros, and J. T. Ehrenreich, “Assessment and behavioral treatment of selective mutism,” Clinical Case Studies, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 382–402, 2006.
- J. Vecchio and C. A. Kearney, “Assessment and treatment of a hispanic youth with selective mutism,” Clinical Case Studies, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 34–43, 2007.
- W. G. Sharp, C. Sherman, and A. M. Gross, “Selective mutism and anxiety: a review of the current conceptualization of the disorder,” Journal of Anxiety Disorders, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 568–579, 2007.
- M. Arie, Y. Henkin, D. Lamy et al., “Reduced auditory processing capacity during vocalization in children with selective mutism,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 419–421, 2007.
- K. Manassis, R. Tannock, E. J. Garland, K. Minde, A. McInnes, and S. Clark, “The sounds of silence: language, cognition, and anxiety in selective mutism,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1187–1195, 2007.
- B. Black and T. W. Uhde, “Psychiatric characteristics of children with selective mutism: a pilot study,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 847–856, 1995.
- R. Yeganeh, D. C. Beidel, and S. M. Turner, “Selective mutism: more than social anxiety?” Depression and Anxiety, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 117–123, 2006.
- M. Tamer, “Elektiver mutismus bei kindern,” Zeitschrift für Kinderpsychiatrie, vol. 1, pp. 30–35, 1934.
- G. S. Ginsburg, L. Siqueland, C. Masia-Warner, and K. A. Hedtke, “Anxiety disorders in children: family matters,” Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 28–43, 2004.
- L. Siqueland, P. C. Kendall, and L. Steinberg, “Anxiety in children: perceived family environments and observed family interaction,” Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, vol. 25, pp. 225–237, 1996.
- C. O. van der Bruggen, G. J. Stams, and S. M. Bögels, “Research review: the relation between child and parent anxiety and parental control: a meta-analytic review,” Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, and Allied Disciplines, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 1257–1269, 2008.
- R. M. Rapee, C. A. Schniering, and J. L. Hudson, “Anxiety disorders during childhood and adolescence: origins and treatment,” Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, vol. 5, pp. 311–341, 2009.
- E. N. Jouriles, C. M. Murphy, A. M. Farris, D. A. Smith, J. E. Richters, and E. Waters, “Marital adjustment, parental disagreements about child rearing, and behavior problems in boys: increasing the specificity of the marital assessment,” Child Development, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1424–1433, 1991.
- A. R. Eisen, S. A. Spasaro, L. K. Brien, C. A. Kearney, and A. M. Albano, “Parental expectancies and childhood anxiety disorders: psychometric properties of the Parental Expectancies Scale,” Journal of Anxiety Disorders, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 89–109, 2004.
- D. A. Chavira, E. Shipon-Blum, C. Hitchcock, S. Cohan, and M. B. Stein, “Selective mutism and social anxiety disorder: all in the family?” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 1464–1472, 2007.
- D. C. Rettew, “Avoidant personality disorder, generalized social phobia, and shyness: putting the personality back into personality disorders,” Harvard Review of Psychiatry, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 283–297, 2000.
- W. K. Silverman and A. M. Albano, Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule for DSM-IV: Child Version, Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 1997.
- W. K. Silverman and A. R. Eisen, “Age differences in the reliability of parent and child reports of child anxious symptomatology using a structured interview,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 117–124, 1992.
- W. K. Silverman and W. B. Nelles, “The anxiety disorders interview schedule for children,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 772–778, 1988.
- H. J. Lyneham and R. M. Rapee, “Agreement between telephone and in-person delivery of a structured interview for anxiety disorders in children,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 274–282, 2005.
- R. L. Bergman, M. Keller, J. Wood, et al., “Selective Mutism Questionnaire: development and findings,” in Proceedings of the 48th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, October 2001.
- R. L. Bergman, M. L. Keller, J. Piacentini, and A. J. Bergman, “The development and psychometric properties of the selective mutism questionnaire,” Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 456–464, 2008.
- W. E. Pelham, E. M. Gnagy, K. E. Greenslade, and R. Milich, “Teacher ratings of DSM-III-R symptoms for the disruptive behavior disorders,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 210–218, 1992.
- J. Pelletier, B. Collett, G. Gimpel, and S. Crowley, “Assessment of disruptive behaviors in preschoolers: psychometric properties of the disruptive behavior disorders rating scale and school situations questionnaire,” Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 3–18, 2006.
- B. Birmaher, S. Khetarpal, D. Brent et al., “The Screen for Child Anxiety Related Emotional Disorders (SCARED): scale construction and psychometric characteristics,” Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 545–553, 1997.
- S. H. Lovibond and P. F. Lovibond, Manual for the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales, Psychology Foundation, Sydney, Australia, 2nd edition, 1995.
- C. Masia-Warner, J. T. Ehrenreich, S. Mannuzza, et al., “Family assessment clinician interview,” Unpublished assessment measure; NYU Child Study Center; 2003.
- J. T. Ehrenreich, J. A. Micco, P. H. Fisher, and C. Masia Warner, “Assessment of relevant parenting factors in families of clinically anxious children: the family assessment clinician-rated interview (FACI),” Child Psychiatry and Human Development, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 331–342, 2009.
- H. A. Skinner, P. D. Steinhauer, and J. Santa-Barbara, “The family assessment measure,” Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, vol. 2, pp. 91–105, 1983.
- H. Skinner, P. Steinhauer, and G. Sitarenios, “Family assessment measure (FAM) and process model of family functioning,” Journal of Family Therapy, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 190–210, 2000.
- A. Field, Discovering Statistics Using SPSS for Windows, Sage, London, UK, 2000.
- J. E. Lönnqvist, S. Paunonen, M. Verkasalo, S. Leikas, A. Tuulio-Henriksson, and J. Lönnqvist, “Personality characteristics of research volunteers,” European Journal of Personality, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1017–1030, 2007.