- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Child Development Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 916303, 10 pages
The Influence of Education and Home Environment on the Cognitive Outcomes of Preschool Children in Germany
Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (MZES), University of Mannheim, 68131 Mannheim, Germany
Received 18 August 2010; Revised 18 November 2010; Accepted 12 January 2011
Academic Editor: Masha Gartstein
Copyright © 2011 Nicole Biedinger. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Biedinger and O. Klein, “Der Einfluss der sozialen Herkunft und des kulturellen Kapitals auf die Häufigkeit entwicklungsfördernder Eltern-Kind-Aktivitäten,” Diskurs Kindheits- und Jugendforschung, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 195–208, 2010.
- O. Klein and N. Biedinger, “Determinanten elterlicher Aktivitäten mit Vorschulkindern. Der Einfluss von Bildungsaspirationen und kulturellem Kapital,” Mannheimer Zentrum für Europäische Sozialforschung (MZES) Arbeitspapier: 121, 2009.
- N. Biedinger, “Early ethnic inequality: the influence of social background and parental involvement on preschool children’s cognitive ability in Germany,” Child Indicators Research, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 11–28, 2010.
- N. Biedinger, “Der einfluss von elterlichen investitionen auf die entwicklung deutscher und und türkischen Kindern,” Berliner Journal für Soziologie, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 268–294, 2009.
- D. M. Fergusson, L. J. Horwood, and J. M. Boden, “The transmission of social inequality: examination of the linkages between family socioeconomic status in childhood and educational achievement in young adulthood,” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 277–295, 2008.
- P. Garrett, N. Ng'andu, and J. Ferron, “Poverty experiences of young children and the quality of their home environments,” Child Development, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 331–345, 1994.
- J. Ermisch, “Origins of social immobility and inequality: parenting and early child development,” National Institute Economic Review, vol. 205, no. 1, pp. 62–71, 2008.
- L. Feinstein, “Inequality in the early cognitive development of British children in the 1970 cohort,” Economica, vol. 70, no. 277, pp. 73–97, 2003.
- L. Feinstein, “Very early evidence: how early can we predict future educational achievement?” Cenrepiece, vol. 8, pp. 24–30, 2003.
- A. George, K. Hansen, and I. Schoon, “Millennium Cohort Study. Cognitive Development,” 2007, http://www.cls.ioe.ac.uk/downloads/1Cognitive%20AMENDED%20230707.pdf.
- R. H. Bradley and R. F. Corwyn, “Age and ethnic variations in family process mediators of SES. S.,” in Socioeconomic Status, Parenting, and Child Development, M. H. Bornstein and R. H. Bradley, Eds., pp. 161–188, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 2003.
- L. Craig, “Parental education, time in paid work and time with children: an Australian time-diary analysis,” British Journal of Sociology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 553–575, 2006.
- J. Brooks-Gunn, W. J. Han, and J. Waldfogel, “Maternal employment and child cognitive outcomes in the first three years of life: the NICHD study of early child care,” Child Development, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 1052–1072, 2002.
- U. Schmidt-Denter, “Vorschulische Förderung,” in Entwicklungspsychologie, R. Oerter and L. Montada, Eds., pp. 976–982, Beltz, Weinheim, Germany, 1995.
- B. Wolf, Zuwendung und Anregung. Lernumweltforschung zur Sprachentwicklung im Elternhaus und Kindergarten, Deutscher Studien, Weinheim, Germany, 1987.
- G. Farkas and K. Beron, “The detailed age trajectory of oral vocabulary knowledge: differences by class and race,” Social Science Research, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 464–497, 2004.
- T. Luster and E. Dubow, “Home environment and maternal intelligence as predictors of verbal intelligence: a comparison of preschool and school-age children,” Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 151–175, 1992.
- K. L. Denton, L. M. Reaney, and J. West, “Home educational activities, literacy resources and Kindergartners' reading knowledge and skills,” in Papers from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Studies Program Presented at the 2001 AERA and SRCD Meetings, J. West, Ed., NCES, Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
- R. Haveman and B. Wolfe, Succeeding Generations: On the Effects of Investments in Children, Russell Sage, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- H. Schöler, P. Hasselbach, P. Schäfer, A. Dressler, and H. Engler-Thümmel, “Zur Wirksamkeit von Massnahmen zur Förderung der sprachlichen Fähigkeiten in der Vorschule Mannheim,” 2005), http://www.ph-heidelberg.de/wp/schoeler/datein/nr20.pdf.
- K. A. Espy, V. J. Molfese, and L. F. DiLalla, “Effects of environmental measures on intelligence in young children: growth curve modeling of longitudinal data,” Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 42–73, 2001.
- L. M. Anderson, C. Shinn, M. T. Fullilove et al., “The effectiveness of early childhood development programs: a systematic review,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 32–46, 2003.
- J. Currie, “Early childhood education programs,” Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 213–238, 2001.
- K. A. Magnuson, M. K. Meyers, C. J. Ruhm, and J. Waldfogel, “Inequality in preschool education and school readiness,” American Educational Research Journal, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 115–157, 2004.
- N. Forget-Dubois, G. Dionne, J. P. Lemelin, D. Pérusse, R. E. Tremblay, and M. Boivin, “Early child language mediates the relation between home environment and school readiness,” Child Development, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 736–749, 2009.
- E. C. Melhuish, M. B. Phan, K. Sylva, P. Sammons, I. Siraj-Blatchford, and B. Taggart, “Effects of the home learning environment and preschool center experience upon literacy and numeracy development in early primary school,” Journal of Social Issues, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 95–114, 2008.
- K. M. La Paro and R. C. Pianta, “Predicting children's competence in the early school years: a meta-analytic review,” Review of Educational Research, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 443–484, 2000.
- S. Normandeau and F. Guay, “Preschool behavior and first-grade school achievement: the mediational role of cognitive self-control,” Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 111–121, 1998.
- A. J. Reynolds, “A structural model of first-grade outcomes for an urban, low socioeconomic status, minority population,” Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 594–603, 1989.
- A. J. Reynolds and J. A. Temple, “Extended early childhood intervention and school achievement: age thirteen findings from the Chicago longitudinal study,” Child Development, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 231–246, 1998.
- A. G. Broberg, H. Wessels, M. E. Lamb, and C. P. Hwang, “Effects of day care on the development of cognitive abilities in 8-year-olds: a longitudinal study,” Developmental Psychology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 62–69, 1997.
- W. J. J. Yeung and K. M. Pfeiffer, “The black-white test score gap and early home environment,” Social Science Research, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 412–437, 2009.
- A. S. Kaufman and N. L. Kaufman, Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children K-ABC, Swets Test Service, Frankfurt, Germany, 1994.
- P. Melchers and U. Preuss, K-ABC. Kaufman-Assessment Battery for Children. Deutschsprachige Fassung. Interpretationshandbuch, Swets & Zeitlinger, Frankfurt, Germany, 2003.
- J. L. Arbuckle, Amos 6.0 User's Guide, SmallWaters, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2005.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, “The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1173–1182, 1986.
- R. E. Schumacker and R. G. Lomax, Beginner's Guide to Structural Equation Modeling, Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ, USA, 2004.
- N. J. Blunch, Introduction to Structural Equation Modelling Using SPSS and AMOS, Sage, London, UK, 2008.
- R. P. McDonald and M. H. R. Ho, “Principles and practice in reporting structural equation analyses,” Psychological Methods, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 64–82, 2002.
- J. Reinecke, Strukturgleichungsmodelle in den Sozialwissenschaften, Oldenbourg Wissenschaftsverlag, München, Germany, 2005.
- M. E. Sobel, “Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models,” Sociological Methodology, vol. 13, pp. 290–312, 1982.