- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Child Development Research
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 982525, 6 pages
A Macrolevel Examination of County-Level Risk Factors for Underage Drinking Prevention: Intervention Opportunities to Protect Youth in the State of Georgia
1Department of Community Health and Health Behavior, School of Public Health and Health Professions, University at Buffalo, 320 Kimball Hall, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
2Institute of Public Health, Georgia State University, P.O. Box 3995, Atlanta, GA 30302, USA
Received 30 June 2011; Revised 5 December 2011; Accepted 17 December 2011
Academic Editor: Masha Gartstein
Copyright © 2011 Karen E. O'Quin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Hingson, T. Heeren, and M. Winter, “Age at drinking onset and alcohol dependence,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 160, no. 7, pp. 739–746, 2006.
- R. Hingson and Z. Wenxing, “Age of drinking onset, alcohol use disorders, frequent heavy drinking, and unintentionally injuring oneself and others after drinking,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. 1477–1484, 2009.
- M. Swahn, R. Bossarte, and E. Sullivent, “Victimization and perpetration among high-risk, seventh-grade adolescents age of alcohol use initiation, suicidal behavior, and peer and dating violence,” Pediatrics, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 297–305, 2008.
- N. Peleg-Oren, G. Saint-Jean, G. Cardenas, H. Tammara, and C. Pierre, “Drinking alcohol before age 13 and negative outcomes in late adolescence,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1966–1972, 2009.
- M. Swahn, T. Simon, B. Hammig, and J. Guerrero, “Alcohol-consumption behaviors and risk for physical fighting and injuries among adolescent drinkers,” Addictive Behaviors, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 959–963, 2004.
- R. Hingson, T. Heeren, M. Winter, and H. Wechsler, “Magnitude of alcohol-related mortality and morbidity among U.S. college students ages 18-24: changes from 1998 to 2001,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 26, pp. 259–279, 2005.
- A. Stueve and L. N. O'Donnell, “Early alcohol initiation and subsequent sexual and alcohol risk behaviors among urban youth,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 887–893, 2005.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, The Surgeon General's Call to Action To Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General, 2007.
- B. Weimer and P. Graham, “Governor's cooperative agreement state incentive planning and development grant: social indicator study to assess substance use prevention needs at the state and county levels in georgia,” Tech. Rep., Georgia Department of Human Resources, RTI International, NC, USA, 2006.
- E. Jackson, A Brief History of Georgia Counties, Georgia Info, 2009.
- R. Jones-Webb, C. Hsiao, P. Hannan, and R. Caetano, “Predictors of increases in alcohol-related problems among black and white adults: results from the 1984 and 1992 National Alcohol Surveys,” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 281–299, 1997.
- S. Meropol, R. Moscati, K. Lillis, S. Ballow, and D. Janicke, “Alcohol-related injuries among adolescents in the emergency department,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 180–186, 1995.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, The NSDUH Report: Driving Under the Influence in Young Persons, SAMHSA, 2004.
- J. Grube and R. Voas, “Predicting underage drinking and driving behaviors,” Addiction, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 1843–1857, 1996.
- J. Muilenburg, W. Johnson, S. Usdan, L. Annang, and D. Clayton, “Prevalence of impaired driving behaviors in a diverse, rural, southern middle school,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1080–1087, 2007.
- S. Walker, E. Waiters, J. Grube, and M. Chen, “Young people driving after drinking and riding with drinking drivers: drinking locations- what do they tell us?” Traffic Injury Prevention, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 212–218, 2005.
- A. Wagenaar and M. Wolfson, “Enforcement of the legal minimum drinking age in the United States,” Journal of Public Health Policy, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 37–53, 1994.
- E. Jackson, M. Doescher, and G. Hart, “Problem drinking: rural and urban trends in America, 1995/1997 to 2003,” Preventive Medicine, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 122–124, 2006.
- T. Borders and B. Booth, “Rural, suburban, and urban variations in alcohol consumption in the United States,” Journal of Rural Health, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 314–321, 2007.
- J. Gfroerer, S. Larson, and J. Colliver, “Drug use patterns and trends in rural communities,” Journal of Rural Health, vol. 23, supplement 1, pp. 10–15, 2007.
- S. Kogan, C. Berkel, Y. Chen, G. Brody, and V. Murry, “Metro status and African-American adolescents' risk for substance use,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 454–457, 2006.
- D. Lambert, J. Gale, and D. Hartley, “Substance abuse by youth and young adults in rural America,” Journal of Rural Health, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 221–228, 2008.
- C. Schultz and C. Neighbors, “Perceived norms and alcohol consumption: differences between college students from rural and urban high schools,” Journal of American College Health, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 261–265, 2007.
- P. Fletcher and K. Skinner, “Do drinking practices at university differ among students coming from urban and rural centers? A preliminary examination for knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs,” College Student Journal, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 332–334, 2006.
- F. Gibbons, R. Reimer, M. Gerrard et al., “Rural-urban differences in substance use among African-American adolescents,” Journal of Rural Health, vol. 23, supplement 1, pp. 22–28, 2007.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Sociodemographic difference in binge drinking among adults-14 states, 2004,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 58, pp. 301–304, 2009.
- K. Mossakowski, “Is the duration of poverty and unemployment a risk factor for heavy drinking?” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 947–955, 2008.
- N. Mulia, Y. Ye, and S. Zemore, “Social disadvantage, stress, and alcohol use among black, hispanic, and white Americans: findings from the 2005 U.S. National Alcohol Survey,” Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 824–833, 2008.
- J. Stimpson, H. Ju, M. Raji, and K. Eschbach, “Neighborhood deprivation and health risk behaviors in NHANES III,” American Journal of Health Behavior, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 215–222, 2007.
- S. Casswell, M. Pledger, and R. Hooper, “Socioeconomic status and drinking patterns in young adults,” Addiction, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 601–610, 2003.
- P. Gruenewald, F. Johnson, and A. Treno, “Outlets, drinking and driving: a multilevel analysis of availability,” Journal of Studies on Alcohol, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 460–468, 2002.
- K. Kelleher, S. Pope, R. Kirby, and V. Rickert, “Alcohol availability and motor vehicle fatalities,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 325–330, 1996.
- P. Gruenewald and W. Ponicki, “The relationship of outlet densities and alcohol sales to alcohol-related traffic crashes,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 17, pp. 38–47, 1993.
- R. Scribner, D. Cohen, and W. Fisher, “Evidence of a structural effect for alcohol outlet density: a multilevel analysis,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 188–195, 2000.
- B. Freisthler, H. Byrnes, and P. Gruenewald, “Alcohol outlet density, parental monitoring, and adolescent deviance: a multilevel analysis,” Children and Youth Services Review, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 325–330, 2009.
- A. Treno, J. Grube, and S. Martin, “Alcohol availability as a predictor of youth drinking and driving: a hierarchical analysis of survey and archival data,” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 835–840, 2003.
- H. Wechsler, J. Lee, and J. Hall, “Secondhand effects of student alcohol use reported by neighbors of colleges: the role of alcohol outlets,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 425–435, 2002.
- K. Pasch, M. Hearst, M. Nelson, A. Forsyth, and L. Lytle, “Alcohol outlets and youth alcohol use: exposure in suburban areas,” Health and Place, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 642–646, 2009.
- Y. Chuang, S. Ennett, K. Bauman, and V. Foshee, “Neighborhood influences on adolescent cigarette and alcohol use: mediating effects through parent and peer behaviors,” Journal of Health and Social Behavior, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 187–204, 2005.