- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 310610, 6 pages
Assessing Physical Performance in Centenarians: Norms and an Extended Scale from the Georgia Centenarian Study
1Department of Kinesiology, Department of Health Promotion & Behavior, Institute of Gerontology and Ramsey Center, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602-6554, USA
2Osaka University, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
3Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
4University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Received 13 February 2010; Revised 27 June 2010; Accepted 20 August 2010
Academic Editor: Donald Craig Willcox
Copyright © 2010 M. Elaine Cress et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Hagberg, B. B. Alfredson, L. W. Poon, and A. Homma, “Cognitive functioning in centenarians: a coordinated analysis of results from three countries,” Journals of Gerontology—Series B, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. P141–P151, 2001.
- L. W. Poon, S. M. Jazwinski, R. C. Green, J. L. Woodard, P. Martin, and W. L. Rodgers, “Methodological considerations in studying centenarians: lessons learned from the georgia centenarian studies,” in Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics, L. W. Poon and T. T. Perls, Eds., pp. 231–264, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- Y. Gondo, N. Hirose, Y. Arai et al., “Functional status of centenarians in Tokyo, Japan: developing better phenotypes of exceptional longevity,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 305–310, 2006.
- J. D. Curb, C. D. Ceria-Ulep, B. L. Rodriguez et al., “Performance-based measures of physical function for high-function populations,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 737–742, 2006.
- A. Davey, M. Elias, I. C. Siegler, et al., “Cognitive, physical performance, health, and disease: norms from the Georgia centenarian study,” Experimental Aging Research.
- J. Arnold, J. Dai, L. Nahepetyan, et al., “Predicting successful aging in a population-based sample of Georgia centenarians,” Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research. In press.
- L. W. Poon and T. T. Perls, Eds., Annual Review of Gerontology and Geriatrics: Biopsychosocial Approaches to Longevity, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- B. Jeune, A. Skytthe, A. Cournil et al., “Handgrip strength among nonagenarians and centenarians in three European regions,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 707–712, 2006.
- J. M. Guralnik, E. M. Simonsick, L. Ferrucci et al., “A short physical performance battery assessing lower extremity function: association with self-reported disability and prediction of mortality and nursing home admission,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. M85–M94, 1994.
- J. M. Guralnik, L. Ferrucci, E. M. Simonsick, M. E. Salive, and R. B. Wallace, “Lower-extremity function in persons over the age of 70 years as a predictor of subsequent disability,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 9, pp. 556–561, 1995.
- C. H. Winograd, C. M. Lemsky, M. C. Nevitt et al., “Development of a physical performance and mobility examination,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 743–749, 1994.
- B. Jeune and J. W. Vaupel, Eds., Validation of Exceptional Longevity: Odense Monographs on Population Aging, University Press of Southern Denmark, Funen, Denmark, 1999.
- J. Dai, A. Davey, I. C. Siegler, J. Arnold, and L. W. Poon, “GCSDB: an integrated database system for the Georgia centenarian study,” Bioinformation, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 214–219, 2006.
- D. A. Loewenstein, E. Amigo, R. Duara et al., “A new scale for the assessment of functional status in Alzheimer's disease and related disorders,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. P114–P121, 1989.
- M. Mitchell and L. S. Miller, “Prediction of functional status in older adults: the ecological validity of four Delis-Kaplan Executive Function System tests,” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 683–690, 2008.
- X.-L. Meng, R. Rosenthal, and D. B. Rubin, “Comparing correlated correlation coefficients,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 172–175, 1992.